ALLARDYCE APPOINTED NEWCASTLE MANAGER

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 13, 2007 9:57 pm

durham_wanderer wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
durham_wanderer wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:Well, anything you say about Sam over the last year and a half is colored by the fact that his heart clearly just wasn't in it. Maybe it will be different at Newcastle.
I'm sure it will be, HP. He'll have much more money and arguably a much better squad, especially in midfield and attack.
Based on what?? There GK is as good as ours, their defence way way behind ours, our midfield is about as bad as theirs although ours maybe slightly better and attack I'd say we have 2 world class strikers with SKD aswell whereas they just have Martins.
http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/vi ... 583#236583
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I'd have Scott Parker in our squad.
I'd have James Milner in our squad.
I'd have Obafemi Martins in our squad.
I'd have Kieron Dyer in our squad.
I'd have Charles N'Zogbia in our squad.
If I were intending to play 4-5-1 and didn't have to worry about wages, I'd have Nicky Butt in our squad.
I missed off Damien Duff and Michael Owen as they were already under discussion.
Id take Martins, N'Zogbia and Milner the rest are overrated/will never be what they were. Newcastle would take Diouf, Anelka, Faye, Meite, Gardner, Davies, Ben Haim, hell even Hunt, hes better than anything they have a right-back. If newcastle have a better squad than us then why are they so far behind us??
Management, obviously!
You don't rate Scott Parker or Kieron Dyer? Fair enough, your opinion is different to mine, makes for a lovely world.
FWIW I don't think Newcastle need Anelka, they have two speedy finishers already. They wouldn't take Diouf if they're as intransigent as you suggest. And they'd mock the signing of Davies.

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Sun May 13, 2007 9:59 pm

Kieron Dyer is awesome when fully fit

awesome
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Sun May 13, 2007 10:01 pm

cowdrill wrote:Kieron Dyer is awesome when fully fit
Which is never.

Allardyce is just going to build his Newcastle XI around Sibierski anyway.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 13, 2007 10:01 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:But that list doesn't account for the fact that we wouldn't take anyone from their defence, their (very good) first choice keeper is injury prone and his back-up is dodgy, and many of those players you mentioned are permanently hurt. So saying their squad is "much better" seems like an overstatement.
True, but this is apparently the right place for it.
I'm saying there's the basis of a very good squad there. And I'd have as many of theirs as they'd have of ours. With service (and without injury, note NUFC's interest in our fitness records) they could have two 20-goal strikers in front of a creative midfield and a reworked defence.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 13, 2007 10:02 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
cowdrill wrote:Kieron Dyer is awesome when fully fit
Which is never.

Allardyce is just going to build his Newcastle XI around Sibierski anyway.
And I get accused of overstatement?

EDIT: :mrgreen:

(Emoticons aren't used enough round here)
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Sun May 13, 2007 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Sun May 13, 2007 10:05 pm

The keeper is fine and
Parker, Dyer, Emre, Duff, Owen, Martins

is a front 6 collection to match all outside the top 4.

A backroom staff of 28 to keep them fit,

and Sam's famed motivational skills to get theirs heads straight and playing for each other

should mean that a complete new defence is all that's needed to put Toon well on the way.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun May 13, 2007 10:10 pm

durham_wanderer wrote:Id take Martins, N'Zogbia and Milner the rest are overrated/will never be what they were. Newcastle would take Diouf, Anelka, Faye, Meite, Gardner, Davies, Ben Haim, hell even Hunt, hes better than anything they have a right-back. If newcastle have a better squad than us then why are they so far behind us??
Hunt over Carr? :crazy:
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Sun May 13, 2007 10:10 pm

But remember that all Sam's horses and all Sam's men couldn't put Fortune together again. Or Jansen. For all the careers that have been revived at the Reebok, there were mis-steps as well. Don't know that a backroom staff of 82, let alone 28, could keep Owen fit.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun May 13, 2007 10:23 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:But remember that all Sam's horses and all Sam's men couldn't put Fortune together again. Or Jansen. For all the careers that have been revived at the Reebok, there were mis-steps as well. Don't know that a backroom staff of 82, let alone 28, could keep Owen fit.
True, chum, but that was because we were often shopping in the cheaper supermarkets. If Allardyce had been at Newcastle last summer he wouldn't have signed Fortune; in fact he'd have been given enough fiscal backing to get Solari. And the Argentinian would probably have happily signed.

Whereas we had to hope Fortune would stay sellotaped together and Jansen could be the next Davies. Neither happened, but neither cost the club millions.

durham_wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by durham_wanderer » Mon May 14, 2007 7:07 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
durham_wanderer wrote:Id take Martins, N'Zogbia and Milner the rest are overrated/will never be what they were. Newcastle would take Diouf, Anelka, Faye, Meite, Gardner, Davies, Ben Haim, hell even Hunt, hes better than anything they have a right-back. If newcastle have a better squad than us then why are they so far behind us??
Hunt over Carr? :crazy:
How often have you watched Carr this season?? All newcastle fans I know would want Hunt instead, although I accept ur picking your favourite from a bad pair, just 1 is shitter than the other

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Mon May 14, 2007 7:29 pm

Was thinking about this as well, even if Sam does get funds there, who's to say he'll be able to use them effectively? He got the £8.5 million he wanted for a star striker and didn't have clue one how to use him. Blackburn got a better goal return from £2.5 million Benni McCarthy. Allardyce may well simply pull a Souness and assume that spending a lot of money = automatic success.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon May 14, 2007 7:31 pm

the genral consensus on the toon message boards after the hunt rumour brok was that anyone was better than carr and they would have him

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Mon May 14, 2007 9:10 pm

News conference at Toon called for tomorrow, 13:00BST

Interesting that Mike Forde was heavily rumoured to be Sammy Lee's General Manager, supposedly being appointed not long after Lee was. Hasn't been announced yet so maybe Forde is off with Allardyce?
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Mon May 14, 2007 9:53 pm

Newcastle United's £10m man Obafemi Martins walked out on the club yesterday, putting his future at St James' Park in doubt.

And to add to United's misery, caretaker manager Nigel Pearson was forced to remove French midfielder Charles N'Zogbia from the subs' bench for the game at Watford during the pre-match team meeting in their Hertfordshire hotel.
Overpaid prima donnas :evil:

link
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon May 14, 2007 10:15 pm

bobby5 wrote:News conference at Toon called for tomorrow, 13:00BST

Interesting that Mike Forde was heavily rumoured to be Sammy Lee's General Manager, supposedly being appointed not long after Lee was. Hasn't been announced yet so maybe Forde is off with Allardyce?
Mmm maybe he will get more air miles at the toon, or perhaps he gets to stay in a better class hotel?? :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 14, 2007 11:35 pm

bobby5 wrote:News conference at Toon called for tomorrow, 13:00BST

Seemed involved at the game - ear-pieced, stat-sheeted and attentive, on the pic on some T-W thread or other - but of course that doesn't mean he isn't to be off in summer. Depends whether he wants to uproot his family, if he has one, in between flying to chew the fat with American businessmen for best practice...(!)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 14, 2007 11:38 pm

bobby5 wrote:
Newcastle United's £10m man Obafemi Martins walked out on the club yesterday, putting his future at St James' Park in doubt.

And to add to United's misery, caretaker manager Nigel Pearson was forced to remove French midfielder Charles N'Zogbia from the subs' bench for the game at Watford during the pre-match team meeting in their Hertfordshire hotel.
Overpaid prima donnas :evil:

link
Stunning stuff. I get the impression Newcastle has long been conducive to the sulkiest teenage wankbox type of overpaid undermotivated shitery from diamond-encrusted millionaires with watches as big as our kitchen clock. Bobby Robson didn't understand it enough to deal with it, Souness tried to address it and, as usual, failed, Roeder was too busy keeping his head above water. Can Allardyce do it? Dunno - but then, I don't really care, unless he turns them into a challenger for what we are - the fifth-best team in the country, over an arbitrary average of the last four years :wink:

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Tue May 15, 2007 3:18 am

Sam has two more options now. Citeh or Wigan the wheels have come off the premiership merry go round.

I predict Sam to Newcastle, Roeder to Citeh, Pearce to Wigan and Jewell to the nearest pie shop.
What could've happened; did.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Tue May 15, 2007 11:08 am

"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 15, 2007 11:10 am

"He arrived by helicopter". That's a bout £6000 an hour. And clubs wonder where money goes.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?