Women's World Cup

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 pm

trotter58 wrote:
Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:How shxt is the England number nine? I mean not just bad, fxcking terrible! She plays like a 12 year old boy in the school playground ffs. I watched the England/Japan game and thought the same then (missing an open net didn't help) and everytime she shoots she toe bungs it and even then it dribbles into the keepers hands.

Surely there's better on the bench then her, she looked like she should be playing for the Argies.
Someone almost hit the corner flag from inside the six yard box in the game this afternoon! Don't know if it was the same player. I'm pretty disappointed with the standard of the England team. i would have expected them to be much better considering they're all playing for teams which are affiliated to professional clubs.
That was her!

Smith is a bloody good player, so is that scott and the the lass playing left midfield and the Blonde centre back, but aye, I think they'll struggle against the yanks.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:56 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:That was her!

Smith is a bloody good player, so is that scott and the the lass playing left midfield and the Blonde centre back, but aye, I think they'll struggle against the yanks.
One of the girls in midfield looked like she could trap it furher than i could kick it (in the words of Frank Worthington) She actually managed to TACKLE the ball into the net from outside the 18 yard box in the game today!

I think that some of the coaches have picked players purely for their size since they can muscle more skilfull players off the ball. Japan were the best team in England's group but less skilful teams trampled all over them.
Last edited by trotter58 on Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:59 pm

trotter58 wrote:
Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:That was her!

One of the girls in midfield looked like she could trap it furher than i could kick it (in the words of Frank Worthington) She actually managed to TACKLE the ball into the net from outside the 18 yard box in the game today!

I think that some of the coaches have picked players purely for their size since they can muscle more skilfull players off the ball. Japan were the best team in England's group but less skilful teams trampled all over them.
That would be Scott.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:12 pm

trotter58 wrote:I'm pretty disappointed with the standard of the England team. i would have expected them to be much better considering they're all playing for teams which are affiliated to professional clubs.
Affiliated to, but in the vast majority of cases not professional. Yer keeper Rachel Brown, for instance, doesn't get a bean off Everton. One or two clubs are professional; from memory Arsenal arer, which would explain why they did the quadruple last season. In fact, Wiki tells us that over the last four seasons, Arsenal have won 12 of the 16 available national competitions, with Charlton mopping up the other four; they've now had their financial support withdrawn by Charlton men's team. You may also notice the all but total domination of Fulham until 2003, when Chairman Mo got bored and stopped the cheques.

I'm not saying that all mens' clubs should support a womens' club - indeed, it strikes me that that's an amusing inversion of attitudes to being a "kept woman" - but while professional women's footballers are a tiny minority, crushing ill-prepared amateur (not even semi-pro) opposition on a weekly basis, the game will advance at about the same pace the men's game would if the top league consisted of Chelsea and 19 Sunday League teams.

But yeah, that Argentinian goalie's shit...

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:06 am

Well, I'm happy to see women playing football whatever the naysayers come up with. Quite apart from the enjoyment they get out of it I'm sure that the standard will improve as time goes by, especially if the local clubs and players can get a bit of sponsorship to defray their expenses.

More ladies playing football means more people have interest in the game. This, surely, will lead to more women (wives and girlfriends of football fanatics) becoming involved in one way or another. It could even translate to said wags being more sympathetic to habs when it comes to spending money to attend games.

Maybe.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:42 am

trotter58 wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Knock it off, you two - I've had my disagreements with both of you but there's a difference between discussion and name-calling...
I think you'll find that we were discussing the Women's World Cup until Fathead arrived with a chip on his shoulder and nothing much to contribute as per usual.
Actually trott, I was responding to your ill-informed denegration of the Scottish League. But as you're ill-informed about most thinhgs I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

P.S. A "Pub League" reject has just sent Bolton to the bottom of the English Premier LEague.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:05 pm

fatshaft wrote:
trotter58 wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Knock it off, you two - I've had my disagreements with both of you but there's a difference between discussion and name-calling...
I think you'll find that we were discussing the Women's World Cup until Fathead arrived with a chip on his shoulder and nothing much to contribute as per usual.
Actually trott, I was responding to your ill-informed denegration of the Scottish League. But as you're ill-informed about most thinhgs I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

P.S. A "Pub League" reject has just sent Bolton to the bottom of the English Premier LEague.
Read "rising to the bait", mate...

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:55 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote: Read "rising to the bait", mate...
indeed.

Don Alonso
Hopeful
Hopeful
Location: Saturday morning after Champion the Wonder Horse and the Banana Splits.

Post by Don Alonso » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:55 am

I can't imagine anything less appealling than a bunch of ugly lesbians playing second rate football. It's nearly as bad as women's tennis.

Why can't the women have championships at things that they are actually better than men at?

I'd pay to see the following:-

(i) Women's shopping championships (how much of someone else's money can you spend in an hour and how well can you justify it when challenged).

(ii) Women's manipulation championships. To what extent can you get a man to do what he doesn't want to do and knows he shouldn't do without actually lying to him and whilst all the while getting him to think it was all his idea in the first place.

(iii) Women's chocolate eating championships. Nuff said.

(iv) Women's whingeing championships. How many things in your life that are YOUR FAULT can you convincingly blame on a man, or men in general.

and of course.....

(v) The Womens Moodswing Championships. How quickly can you change from an Angel to a two headed monster without any good reason and how long can you sulk afterwards because someones pointed out you are behaving like a spoilt child.

But football? Give me a break......................................................
"You've got to fight for what you want, and all that you believe".

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:15 am

Don Alonso wrote:It's nearly as bad as women's tennis.
Can't agree with you here - the standard in women's tennis has risen so sharply in recent years that it's actually worth watching for reasons other than the dresses now.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:36 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Can't agree with you here - the standard in women's tennis has risen so sharply in recent years that it's actually worth watching for reasons other than the dresses now.
there's only one time I want to hear Maria Sharapova grunting, and it's not while she's swinging a racquet
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:46 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
there's only one time I want to hear Maria Sharapova grunting, and it's not while she's swinging a racquet
What about if shes making a racket swinging?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:46 pm

The sport (not the spectacle) is far more watchable than the men's equivalent IMHO, since the game's less about huge 140mph serves.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:49 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
The sport (not the spectacle) is far more watchable than the men's equivalent IMHO, since the game's less about huge 140mph serves.
Agree the mens game is far too predictable. Big serve big serve big serve. First to crack loses. Federer always wins apart from on clay.

BORING.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:52 pm

I notice the England quarter final was cancelled bacause of a bit of rain - typical of the womens game, few drops of water and they're worried about thei hair-dos

Don Alonso
Hopeful
Hopeful
Location: Saturday morning after Champion the Wonder Horse and the Banana Splits.

Post by Don Alonso » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:22 pm

...and of course, more opportunites to go shopping.......
"You've got to fight for what you want, and all that you believe".

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:31 pm

Worthy4England wrote:I notice the England quarter final was cancelled bacause of a bit of rain - typical of the womens game, few drops of water and they're worried about thei hair-dos
:D
I gather it was a typhoon. Our game (Canada) was put off until today and we got knocked out when the Aussies scored a 92nd minute equalizer. :(
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Agree the mens game is far too predictable. Big serve big serve big serve. First to crack loses. Federer always wins apart from on clay.

BORING.
Get rid of second service and "net". If you don't get it in yonder rectangle first go, it's love-15. That'd stop their gallop a bit. And if it doesn't, punch them in the serving arm at the start of each set.

(This is a peaceful interlude, not a thread hijack. Please go about your business.)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

BORING.
Get rid of second service and "net". If you don't get it in yonder rectangle first go, it's love-15. That'd stop their gallop a bit. And if it doesn't, punch them in the serving arm at the start of each set.

(This is a peaceful interlude, not a thread hijack. Please go about your business.)
Just give them the old style smaller wooden rackets where touch, skill and speed of thought were everything. I'd like to see some of the modern players play under those conditions. Actually it might have helped Henman win something!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:58 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:I notice the England quarter final was cancelled bacause of a bit of rain - typical of the womens game, few drops of water and they're worried about thei hair-dos
:D
I gather it was a typhoon. Our game (Canada) was put off until today and we got knocked out when the Aussies scored a 92nd minute equalizer. :(
tsk MW - you're spoiling the effect....my missus went ape when I mentioned that they'd let a bit o rain put em off....

How do you get knocked out by the Aussies scoring and equalizer btw? did it go extra time and pens?