Benitez .... prick

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:16 pm

Why don't Liverpool give Benitez another 100M to spend "wisely"?

Lets face it, Liverpool won't win the league with the Spanish chump in charge.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:20 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Why don't Liverpool give Benitez another 100M to spend "wisely"?

Lets face it, Liverpool won't win the league with the Spanish chump in charge.
Been saying that for years.

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:07 am

he'd have been sacked by now had he not fluked that first champs league

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:35 am

Batman wrote:he'd have been sacked by now had he not fluked that first champs league
Indeed. To think, if Dudek had been able to stay on his line, we might have been rid of him by now.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:46 am

Batman wrote:he'd have been sacked by now had he not fluked that first champs league
Quite possibly true, but then Liverpool are generally much more patient with their managers than just about every other club. It's no secret that those clubs who stick with their managers and give them time generally perform better than those who may have more money but who are constantly changing managers.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:47 am

blurred wrote:
Quite possibly true, but then Liverpool are generally much more patient with their managers than just about every other club. It's no secret that those clubs who stick with their managers and give them time generally perform better than those who may have more money but who are constantly changing managers.
Its fine sticking with a manager as long as they're the right one.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:17 am

blurred wrote:
...and you last won the league in?

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:47 am

fatshaft wrote:and you last won the league in?
The early nineties, yes. But we've been more successful than just about every other side in that period (barring Man United, of course). I'm not saying that keeping manager = winning league, because that's obviously not the case, but United persevered with Fergie despite a fairly disastrous start, Arsenal have allowed Wenger plenty of time to build the club up, and both of those managers have gone on to win league titles. We'd be foolish to part with Benitez so comparatively early in his tenure, in my opinion.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:49 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Its fine sticking with a manager as long as they're the right one.
Indeed, and you'll never quite know for sure. If not winning a league in 4 years is the way that these things are decided, then can we expect Wenger to be getting his P45 should Arsenal not do the business this season? Of course not, there's a lot more that comes into it (and far more than most of us will ever know, behind the scenes).

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:55 am

blurred wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Its fine sticking with a manager as long as they're the right one.
Indeed, and you'll never quite know for sure. If not winning a league in 4 years is the way that these things are decided, then can we expect Wenger to be getting his P45 should Arsenal not do the business this season? Of course not, there's a lot more that comes into it (and far more than most of us will ever know, behind the scenes).
True but then Wenger has at least built a team of young players that could be seen long before this season to be improving. What has Benitez built in his 4 years with the money spent is the question I'd be asking. And to be honest I'm not sure I can see a lot. Perhaps he has, but I'm not convinced!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:56 am

Didn't Wenger do the Double in his first full season? There may be a comparison there with Benitez (who, despite joining this discussion, I don't despise) winning Big Cup. The thing is that in the fallow years following Arsenal's 1998 double there were definite signs of improvement, in the first team and the youth; beside signing Torres, is the same really true of your lot, Blurred?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:58 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Didn't Wenger do the Double in his first full season? There may be a comparison there with Benitez (who, despite joining this discussion, I don't despise) winning Big Cup. The thing is that in the fallow years following Arsenal's 1998 double there were definite signs of improvement, in the first team and the youth; beside signing Torres, is the same really true of your lot, Blurred?
Indeed DSB, read my post above that must have been posted as you were writing this!

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:54 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Didn't Wenger do the Double in his first full season? There may be a comparison there with Benitez (who, despite joining this discussion, I don't despise) winning Big Cup. The thing is that in the fallow years following Arsenal's 1998 double there were definite signs of improvement, in the first team and the youth; beside signing Torres, is the same really true of your lot, Blurred?
Well we've won the FA Youth Cup the last two years on the spin, and Benitez has been undertaking a big overhaul of the youth side, signing up loads of players under 21 (and bags cheaper than Wenger's lot, with the exception of Babel). Whether any of them turn out to be half-decent in a couple of years time is anyone's guess, although a couple are showing promise, both for us and those that've been out on loan.

As for signings who've taken the first team up a notch? Reina, Agger, Alonso, Mascherano are all waaaay ahead of what we had previously. Others have come and gone, but I think that the overall level of the team is far better than when he started (the likes of Igor Biscan and Djimi Traore were first teamers then, for instance). Unfortunately the level of our competitors has also increased!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:44 pm

blurred wrote:
Well we've won the FA Youth Cup the last two years on the spin, and Benitez has been undertaking a big overhaul of the youth side, signing up loads of players under 21 (and bags cheaper than Wenger's lot, with the exception of Babel). Whether any of them turn out to be half-decent in a couple of years time is anyone's guess, although a couple are showing promise, both for us and those that've been out on loan.

As for signings who've taken the first team up a notch? Reina, Agger, Alonso, Mascherano are all waaaay ahead of what we had previously. Others have come and gone, but I think that the overall level of the team is far better than when he started (the likes of Igor Biscan and Djimi Traore were first teamers then, for instance). Unfortunately the level of our competitors has also increased!
He has signed some decent players. But so would I given the money he's had. What he hasn't done is constructed a team and some of his signings have been sub-standard.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:40 am

At the risk of having 'blurred' add to his 3,600 posts on another teams site (it's me, isn't it ... I know it's me ... but isn't that just a bit odd ??) let's widen this a bit for a quick view on what turds the whole Liverpool club are, really, deep down ...
Liverpool rejected cash-strapped Luton's request to forgo their share of the gate receipts for Sunday's FA Cup third round tie. Luton, who are in administration, could go out of business on Monday.
Nothing like respecting the grass roots, is there ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Batman

Post by Batman » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:43 am

come on bobo, they need the 100k ish from the gate receipts......i mean come on, they spunked 25m on ONE PLAYER this summer, they must be brassic by now

C UNTS

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:38 pm

bobo the clown wrote:At the risk of having 'blurred' add to his 3,600 posts on another teams site (it's me, isn't it ... I know it's me ... but isn't that just a bit odd ??) let's widen this a bit for a quick view on what turds the whole Liverpool club are, really, deep down ...
Liverpool rejected cash-strapped Luton's request to forgo their share of the gate receipts for Sunday's FA Cup third round tie. Luton, who are in administration, could go out of business on Monday.
Nothing like respecting the grass roots, is there ?
I don't normally get involved in these sort of threads but....

If thats the case, then I hope some Gypsies curse condemns Liverpool to at least another decade without a league title.

Set o' tw*ts :whack:
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:46 pm

And who says football is now in the hands of businessmen? Severe lack o' respect from the scousers.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:49 pm

Only the rest of the footballing nation will now be praying that Luton put the bastards out!
May the bridges I burn light your way

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:46 pm

i can't slate liverpool for this. it would have been a remarkable gesture had they done it. but can't have a do for them not doing it.

look at the bigger picture. when would it stop? what if they got struggling lower league opposition in the next round? would they then be under pressure to defer their share for this as well? what about other so-called rich premiership clubs.

feel bad for luton but unfortunately it is becoming much more of a business this football lark and the business decision is to say no.