ALLARDYCE SACKED

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:25 pm

warthog wrote:The Chronicle Article

The 'insider' sounds like some bloke in the pub to me.
Maybe, but the Chronicle usually have the inside line on Newcastle.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:24 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Biggest load of B*llox article Ive read in a while - clearly written to massage the overly inflated ego of the barcode fans.

Having family up in the NE I've read this manner of article a thousand times from these jokers, and they always pick the winning side.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:32 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Biggest load of B*llox article Ive read in a while - clearly written to massage the overly inflated ego of the barcode fans.

Having family up in the NE I've read this manner of article a thousand times from these jokers, and they always pick the winning side.
I also know the NE fairly well.

I think that to be honest when you look at it, the main thing coming back again and again from the Geordie fans was the sort of football they were playing.

I don't think its a big jump to imagine thats what he was sacked for.

Of course its the wrong decision but Allardyce never really endeared himself to the Geordies in his interviews or in the way he conducted himself on the touchlines, or how he spoke to the fans. When they'd lost a few in a row saying " I won't change the way we're playing, we'll just become more difficult to beat and not committ so far up the pitch" is NOT the thing to say to a deluded set of Newcastle fans (even if thats what you think).

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:09 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:Disappointed he’s been linked with a job already – The Rep of Ireland one. Any thoughts on where he’ll end up?
People will look on it one of two ways. 1 – caught up in politics, bearing in mind Ashley is “one of the army” and did not appoint Sam. Or 2 – can’t handle money and big name players.

Personally I reckon he’d end up at either a) the next Prem club who sacks someone. Boro probably. Or b) some “big club” in the championship like Wolves (local boy) who he has the prospect of not only getting promotion but being backed once he’s up there.
He has said he wants to get back into another management job.

I'm not so sure he will though.

The bigger clubs won't have him. The likes of Boro, Blackburn etc might, but then he won't be much better off than he was at us. Wolves might be an option but does he have the heart for another titanic 5 year battle?
If I had a quid, it would be on Wolves. McCarthy hasn't moved them forward too much. They have a not-bad stadium, modest crowds who want to see the club make it and stay in the prem. i reckon he'd get money if they went up similar to keane at sunderland. that and he speaks the lingo

Rated R Superstar
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rated R Superstar » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:According to the Evening Chronicle, Allardyce was sacked because despite Ashley, Mort, The Fans AND the players wanting to play a more attractive brand of football, Allardyce would not change, and kept talking about "winning ugly".

Apparently they'd had enough. Had little to do with new signings other than Ashley didn't trust Allardyce to spend the money.
Perhaps "winning ugly" wouldn't have been a problem for Newcastle had they had actually been winning. The problem with Allardyce's "style" is that when it works it's awesome, people love it and even those that don't are willing to tolerate it while the going is good. Unfortunately when it goes wrong the systems shortcomings become all too obvious. Maybe Sam would've turned it round at some point but he wasn't going to get that kind of time at Newcastle.

It's worrying that the criticisms coming from Newcastle fans are not dis-similar to complaints coming from Bolton fans towards the end of his tenure here. Bolton had been struggling for results since Jan last year and yet Allardyce went to Newcastle under the impression that the same tactics would bring success even though they hadn't been bringing success to Bolton in the same way they had in previous seasons (sorry but I'm still amazed that we qualified for the waffa cup this season)
Whatever Allardyce does next, he surely has to be more flexible?
Don't call it a comeback

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:18 pm

it doesn't help that they have this romanticised version of events a few years ago. yes they had a few decent games, beating Man Utd 5-0, the Liverpool games, but do they really believe they were this free-flowing all star team. because i'm not too sure they were

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:23 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:it doesn't help that they have this romanticised version of events a few years ago. yes they had a few decent games, beating Man Utd 5-0, the Liverpool games, but do they really believe they were this free-flowing all star team. because i'm not too sure they were
Ginola/Gillespie/Ferdinand/Shearer/Beardsley were pretty potent.

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:25 pm

fatshaft wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:it doesn't help that they have this romanticised version of events a few years ago. yes they had a few decent games, beating Man Utd 5-0, the Liverpool games, but do they really believe they were this free-flowing all star team. because i'm not too sure they were
And they won???

Newcastle fans should wear big shoes and have red noses and flowers that spray water

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:30 pm

For Newcastle see Spurs 'we only want to win pretty' brigade.

Which is bollox, and why they were heavily overrated.

Out of interest, every year the Chronicle publishes a supplement (like the BEN) for the forthcoming season, and every year they start with the phrase 'Newcastle's title quest continues'.

Am I the only one that thinks if thats the case, then all 20 clubs should be written about in the same way? :crazy:

Rated R Superstar
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rated R Superstar » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Raven wrote:
fatshaft wrote:
And they won???

Newcastle fans should wear big shoes and have red noses and flowers that spray water
You mean they don't already? :D
Don't call it a comeback

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:33 pm

Raven wrote:
fatshaft wrote:
And they won???

depends what you mean by win. They were the entertaining Newcastle that the Toon army think they should still be seeing.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:34 pm

They played some decent stuff, the season that Keegan blew the title, especially early on. But that's over a decade ago and as someone has pointed out, they won sod all.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:56 pm

Just thought this might be an appropriate place for this picture.....

FSA doing some Bon Jovi air guitar on Tyneside

Shot through the heart
Coz you're so lame
You gave Toon
A bad name.....

By E.J Thribb age 7 and 3/4

:-)

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:00 pm

I'm all in favour of giving a manager a chance long term but I want small, continual improvement at least and we have had 8 months of mistakes and downward trend. We're playing worse than we did under Roeder. There's no point in keeping a manager who isn't improving the club just for the sake of stability. Big Sam is a small club manager, he hasn't adapted to managing a big club and I fear the bookies favourite Redknapp would be just the same.

My pick for the new manager: AZ Alkmaar's Louis van Gaal
A N Other crack-smoking Geordie, anyone spot the undeliberate mistake? :crazy:

claus jensens guitar
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by claus jensens guitar » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:02 pm

They might not have won anything but they've played in quite a few cup finals and finished 2nd. Also remember they have been in the champions league 3 times and the UEFA Cup 7 times since 1994. So its not like they've been relegated playing good football which is what everyone on here seems to think happens. The games of over a decade ago are long gone but they beat Juventus and the likes to qualify from their champions league group 5 seasons ago. They had a good UEFA Cup run last season too.

1995-96 Premier League runners-up
1996-97 Premier League runners-up, UEFA Cup Quarter Finalists
1997-98 F.A. Cup runners-up
1998-99 F.A. Cup runners-up
1999-00 F.A. Cup semi-finalists
2003-04 UEFA Cup semi-finalists
2004-05 UEFA Cup Quarter Finalists, F.A. Cup semi-finalists

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:03 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
I'm all in favour of giving a manager a chance long term but I want small, continual improvement at least and we have had 8 months of mistakes and downward trend. We're playing worse than we did under Roeder. There's no point in keeping a manager who isn't improving the club just for the sake of stability. Big Sam is a small club manager, he hasn't adapted to managing a big club and I fear the bookies favourite Redknapp would be just the same.

Aye - spotted it here, they managed to make a post without thinking Marcello Lippi would up sticks to join em? Do I win a prize?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:08 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:

Aye - spotted it here, they managed to make a post without thinking Marcello Lippi would up sticks to join em? Do I win a prize?
You get to manage Newcastle United at Old Trafford, as pointed out in this ad:

http://www.friday-ad.co.uk/AdRef/YI750A ... etails.asp

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:37 pm

Newcastle fans should wear big shoes and have red noses and flowers that spray water.
You mean they don't already?
Oyy !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:35 pm

Wonder if BSA will fancy the Ireland job?

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:43 pm

fatshaft wrote:
still say it's romanticised. even though it's about a month ago i think we played well against wigan 8)