ANC moved to June?

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:54 pm

Spanked.

Thought Meite and co did well against a decent looking Nigerian side today though.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:17 pm

Only caught the second half, but I thought Nigeria were poor considering the players in their line-up. They were very half-hearted at times. Meite had his obligatory howler which Martins failed to punish.

Both sides should be too good for the other two teams in the group - the latest game is very low on quality.

On the plus side, there's been no Garth Crooks so far.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:21 pm

Little Green Man wrote:Only caught the second half, but I thought Nigeria were poor considering the players in their line-up. They were very half-hearted at times. Meite had his obligatory howler which Martins failed to punish.

Both sides should be too good for the other two teams in the group - the latest game is very low on quality.

On the plus side, there's been no Garth Crooks so far.
Well, it was only the first half I watched from beginning to end, as it happens!
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:51 pm

Worthy4England wrote:At least if the heat kills em, there's still some transfer window to find a replacement....
June/July winter in the Southern hemisphere...

Rainy season/dry season important mostly around the equator - so now is good for competition in Ghana...

For myself, i'm a supporter of the competition... though not spotted a keeper I want to buy yet... and believe we should recognise it without moaning...

But once every four years would equalise with other international competitions (actually, i'm not sure of that - obviously with European nations and World Cup - what goes on in Latin America?)...

And it shouldn't be impossible to think of Jan/Feb in Egypt, Tunisia, Morocco etc and June/July in South Africa, Angola, Mozambique... We cancel the European club competitions in deepest winter for weather reasons... The ACN could be a movable feast...

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:38 pm

I take it that this is the offishull ACN thread?!

Anyhoo, it seems that Mbesuma is not the only podgy Zambian footballer. They look a lot less fitter than the part-time (yet highly athletic) Sudanese players. Not quite sure how Sudan are 2-0 down - naivity probably.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:13 pm

Little Green Man wrote:I take it that this is the offishull ACN thread?!

Anyhoo, it seems that Mbesuma is not the only podgy Zambian footballer. They look a lot less fitter than the part-time (yet highly athletic) Sudanese players. Not quite sure how Sudan are 2-0 down - naivity probably.
Looks official enough to me...

Where was Mbesuma tonight anyway? Does he still play football?

Sudan were just crap at the back...

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:15 pm

He wasn't selected, for being (yes, you've guessed it) too unfit.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:40 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:That European clubs "know what they're getting" is true, which is why they often choose not to buy at all, and when they do it's at a lower price and at a lower wage than it would be if the ACN didn't happen when it does and as often as it does.
I doubt the veracity of that supposition.

And there's no way to prove or disprove it.

So let's call it a draw. :wink:

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:02 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:That European clubs "know what they're getting" is true, which is why they often choose not to buy at all, and when they do it's at a lower price and at a lower wage than it would be if the ACN didn't happen when it does and as often as it does.
I doubt the veracity of that supposition.

And there's no way to prove or disprove it.

So let's call it a draw. :wink:
Ok, so I should have been a bit softer, as opposed to factual, in my presentation of that opinion...

But I do believe that the ACN puts potential buyers off, and makes African players less valuable when bought.

And yes, it's just an intuitive guess and I have no hard evidence!

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:13 pm

I agree that African players are cheaper but is it really anything to do with the ANC? It's just because they're African in the same way that British players are more expensive because they're Brits.

In fact there's a thinker for you....if the Africans are cheaper and the Brits are more expensive which locale produces players of 'fair market value' :?
Businesswoman of the year.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:19 pm

Strange, really; it's only three weeks out of every 104, they'd probably miss far more through injury or (let alone and) suspension.

Not incredibly impressed by BBC Three's 7pm coverage. The opening sequence goes on forever, as do the highlights, which aren't edited particularly brilliantly. We also don't need to go back to the studio at halftime just so whatshisface can say "here's the second half". Given the kick-off times (and the watching patterns of football fans) it seems strange to rush it on at 7pm without the second-game highlights, rather than say 11pm with both the evening's games... rather watch that then than yet another Two Pints of Lager And A Bag Of Shite...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:20 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:I agree that African players are cheaper but is it really anything to do with the ANC? It's just because they're African in the same way that British players are more expensive because they're Brits.

In fact there's a thinker for you....if the Africans are cheaper and the Brits are more expensive which locale produces players of 'fair market value' :?
Mebbes France-based Africans who've adapted to a decent but not over-hyped league.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:31 pm

dioufy on at 5pm on the red button on the beeb

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:06 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:dioufy on at 5pm on the red button on the beeb
He's captain of Senegal, isn't he?

Jaidi's Tunisia captain too...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:18 pm

jmjhb wrote:

He'll be the happier - Tunisia are one up

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:26 pm

Little Green Man wrote: On the plus side, there's been no Garth Crooks so far.
Bawlocks! Spoke too soon. :(

Angola looked to have improved a bit since the World Cup (except for the keeper). Good opening goal.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:28 pm

Little Green Man wrote:
Little Green Man wrote:On the plus side, there's been no Garth Crooks so far.
Bawlocks! Spoke too soon. :(
Yet another smug Spud. You'd think they'd beaten Arsenal's first team or summat.

Watching it delayed on Sky+ and Diouf's free-kicks are looking menacing...

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:43 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
jmjhb wrote:

He'll be the happier - Tunisia are one up
good game but neither will be happy with the result. jaidi did a proper jaidi style clanger

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:58 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:jaidi did a proper jaidi style clanger
"For an experienced defender, I think Jaidi panics." You're telling me, Garth... "Good defenders are aware of the picture behind them." That's why I'm afraid our Radhi was oft found wanting at the top level; a danger at both ends, he simply fell asleep at least once a fortnight. Not Bramble-bad, but for all his goalscoring ability (and let's not forget that no BW defenders have notched this season...) that would always count against him.

Notable that they blame Faye for the second equaliser, saying in Hindsight20/20Vision that he should have laid it off short to either of the two men stood with him in the penalty area. Hmmm.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:10 pm

This B. Moon that's playing for South Africa - does the B stand for Button?