MADNESS!

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:04 pm

Lofty wrote:I think some sort of protest is in order. Some banners and chanting on Saturday, anyone?
:) you won't get much support because the gingerone thinks its a good idea and all the clubs mouth pieces on here will come out to back it :wink:

Lofty
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Lofty » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:18 pm

As much as I respect Megson for (potentially) saving us from the drop, he's so so wrong about this. Wouldn't surprise me if greedy Gartside put him up to it.
BOLTON WANDERERS. GUILDFORD HEAT. WAYNE MARDLE. ENGLAND.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:22 pm

Lofty wrote:I think some sort of protest is in order. Some banners and chanting on Saturday, anyone?
I hate to be the voice of apathy, but it'll make no difference whatsoever.

The list is endless of chairmen (including our own) doing what they like despite fan protests. If it hurt tham in the pocket, they'd care, but seeing as TV revenue and sponsorship and merchandising money now far outstrip ticket sales at all the premier league clubs, we don't matter anymore.

However, if we all simply wait til the corporate crowd grows bored of football (as they inevitably will), and the foreign markets decide that another league is more exciting (Spain?), and take their money elsewhere, we can start to reclaim our game back.

As I recall, Sky bought the right to screen Premier League matches. It doesn't own football as a game.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:25 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:

The list is endless of chairmen (including our own) doing what they like despite fan protests. If it hurt tham in the pocket, they'd care, but seeing as TV revenue and sponsorship and merchandising money now far outstrip ticket sales at all the premier league clubs, we don't matter anymore.

However, if we all simply wait til the corporate crowd grows bored of football (as they inevitably will), and the foreign markets decide that another league is more exciting (Spain?), and take their money elsewhere, we can start to reclaim our game back.

As I recall, Sky bought the right to screen Premier League matches. It doesn't own football as a game.
Can we not get the copyright to the word football then we can screw sky :D

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:35 pm

hoboh2o wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:

Can we not get the copyright to the word football then we can screw sky :D
Interesting point trampwater.

Considering how many strange things have happened in legal cases over the years, it may be possible to challenge this under European legislation such as 'human rights', 'disabled access', and the killer 'provenance' laws. The latter ones my favourite - any product sold in the EU that claims to be from a certain area has to meet strict criteria about where its produced and what it contains. It tends to revolve around food and drink, but could there be a case in there for a hot-shot lawyer wanting to make a name for himself (isn't Mummy studying law?).

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:36 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:

The club have turned down all offers to televise the game on Thursday in an attempt to have a good atomosphere and fill the stadium.

Not quite "ignoring the fans".

But I take your overall point LK. Sadly I think the trouble is that this is designed by the big clubs to be for the big clubs. It won't benefit us and Gartside and everyone else will know this.

I imagine that the smaller clubs will at some point rally against this plan. I think for now they are strategically backing the plan whilst they decide what to do![/b]

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:

The club have turned down all offers to televise the game on Thursday in an attempt to have a good atomosphere and fill the stadium.

But I take your overall point LK. Sadly I think the trouble is that this is designed by the big clubs to be for the big clubs. It won't benefit us and Gartside and everyone else will know this.

I imagine that the smaller clubs will at some point rally against this plan. I think for now they are strategically backing the plan whilst they decide what to do![/b]
On the contrary BWFCi, I think initially this will be 'sold' to the small clubs as a joint-venture. Then, once the turkies have voted for christmas, the big 4/5 will pull the rug and keep the lions share of the profits.

Remember, Oldham, Norwich, QPR and their ilk voted for the Premier-League cash-cow, without realising the long-term aims of its leading exponents (Man Utd and Spurs, surprisingly enough), to keep more of what they saw as 'their money'.

I think ALL the clubs will vote for this, and I think it will happen, and quite soon, sadly.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:49 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:

On the contrary BWFCi, I think initially this will be 'sold' to the small clubs as a joint-venture. Then, once the turkies have voted for christmas, the big 4/5 will pull the rug and keep the lions share of the profits.

Remember, Oldham, Norwich, QPR and their ilk voted for the Premier-League cash-cow, without realising the long-term aims of its leading exponents (Man Utd and Spurs, surprisingly enough), to keep more of what they saw as 'their money'.

I think ALL the clubs will vote for this, and I think it will happen, and quite soon, sadly.
The premier league was crucial for the game LK though. Otherwise the majority of football clubs would have gone bust, or we simply would have had a very inferior league. Personally I think the premier league did a lot of good to the game. Yes the way it has been structured has hurt the lower leagues, but for me that sacrifice perhaps had to be made to allow for the development of our top league.

But this idea will only benefit the Man U's etc in the long run and I'm convinced that the smaller clubs know this. 5M means nowt if every other prem league club gets the same. It gives you no competitive advantage!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:42 pm

BWFCi - I think the problem is that the Premier League is a collective bargaining tool.

Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs and Newcastle will immediately vote for this.

In their wake, the likes of Everton, Villa, City and the other 'fairly large clubs' will probably follow suit.

Which leaves ourselves, Wigan Blackburn Derby et al. I'm not sure our voice would be heard quite so readily by the bigger clubs who would simply threaten to either reduce the size of the Premier League or to try to keep a larger slice of the existing pie.

If Phil Gartside genuinly didn't want this, I'm not convinced that as the chairman of a club like ours he could do much to stop it?

Which is probably an explanation of the statement from Meggers yesterday, saying what a good idea it was -perhaps they have to go along or fear such things as breakaway or European Leagues for the uber-clubs if they don't?

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:09 pm

Lofty wrote:As much as I respect Megson for (potentially) saving us from the drop, he's so so wrong about this. Wouldn't surprise me if greedy Gartside put him up to it.
Lol, i was wondering yesterday how long it would take for someone to blame Gartside. I mean, now he can't be blamed for not investing in the squad (Cahill, Steinsson, Taylor) or not trying to win fans back (Madrid ticket prices), he has to be at fault for something. And killing English football is quite a biggie.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:15 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
Lofty wrote:As much as I respect Megson for (potentially) saving us from the drop, he's so so wrong about this. Wouldn't surprise me if greedy Gartside put him up to it.
Lol, i was wondering yesterday how long it would take for someone to blame Gartside. I mean, now he can't be blamed for not investing in the squad (Cahill, Steinsson, Taylor) or not trying to win fans back (Madrid ticket prices), he has to be at fault for something. And killing English football is quite a biggie.
Have to agree with that. What exactly is he guilty of as far as our present situation is concerned? No one knows what's happening about it all at this moment. Time enough to hang somebody when a crime is commited and they're proven guilty.
Hasn't happened yet as far as I know. Put your feet on the floor and hands on knees. Helps stop the jerking.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:26 pm

Backgammon wrote:Who the F*** are the English Premier League to waltz into another country and start playing games there?

I don't care what country they're planning to invade, but that country will have it's own domestic league(s). That country will have its own FA trying to govern the sport and develop players and teams. Why should they suffer the English Premiership machine rumbling into town, taking as much money from them as humanly possible (be it through advertising, tickets, merchandise, tv rights), taking fans away from the domestic game, then roll on out again.

I'm trying to think of it from their point of view; I'd tell the English to F*** right off.

It stinks of arrogance.
I think I may have said somethign earlier that was basically the same. It's taking the arrogance of Englsih football to new extremes, but I can't imagine that FIFA are going to let this pass.

Blatter has always liked to control every little aspect of football, Platini seems to be even worse (although it'll be better in this case). Can't see how they can get it passed by them to be honest.

Also good to hear Fergie criticising it today. Seems to be Fergie, O'Neill and Southgate against it so far. Sadly, I think most managers including MEgson will be under orders to toe the party line.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:31 pm

hoboh2o wrote:
:) you won't get much support because the gingerone thinks its a good idea and all the clubs mouth pieces on here will come out to back it :wink:
i haven't said "hi, i think this idea is great." i have pointed out the merits when everyone else has slated it on the basis of very little other than tradition and sheer-bloody mindedness. i'm happy to acknowledge that this is the way the world as a whole is going and that this is a way in which we should move along with it.

i am also the only one on the other hand to offer a suggestion for a much more powerful protest than a few banners and chants. if every single season ticket holder next season only bought a half ST, with the intention of buying the other half only if the club refuses the deal i think the decision would be in the fans hands.

so how many of you have the bottle for that?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:39 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:
hoboh2o wrote:
i haven't said "hi, i think this idea is great." i have pointed out the merits when everyone else has slated it on the basis of very little other than tradition and sheer-bloody mindedness. i'm happy to acknowledge that this is the way the world as a whole is going and that this is a way in which we should move along with it.

i am also the only one on the other hand to offer a suggestion for a much more powerful protest than a few banners and chants. if every single season ticket holder next season only bought a half ST, with the intention of buying the other half only if the club refuses the deal i think the decision would be in the fans hands.

I'll be going watching Radcliffe Borough , and I'm never setting foot in a premiership ground again the minute this is put into practice.

Thats how I feel - forget protests, its all gone too far now. :crazy:

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:52 pm

I agree with LK, bollocks to protests or buying half season tickets, just leave them to it. I hope we're relegated by then if it's going to happen.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:19 pm

and you think being in the championship will completely shield you from the effects? this affects the game as a whole, otherwise you all wouldn't be getting so upset

Lofty
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Lofty » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:21 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:
hoboh2o wrote:

I'll be going watching Radcliffe Borough , and I'm never setting foot in a premiership ground again the minute this is put into practice.

Thats how I feel - forget protests, its all gone too far now. :crazy:
I know how you feel. I've had a sudden urge to support my local team more also. :pissed:
BOLTON WANDERERS. GUILDFORD HEAT. WAYNE MARDLE. ENGLAND.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:23 pm

an extra game unbalances the fixture list , the only way it has any way of werking is if the two teams 'give up' an home game and an away game .. and play that in the foreign country..

theyve took the nfl london game idea and apart from seeing dolla signs completely missed the point ..

knobs.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:33 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:and you think being in the championship will completely shield you from the effects? this affects the game as a whole, otherwise you all wouldn't be getting so upset
It won't completely shield us no, but i'd much rather see us play in a fair league.

As for what you said before about all the negativity being based on bloody mindedness, bollocks. The only benefit you've come up with for it thus far is the pipedream that the money will be used to subsidise ticket prices rather than go straight into players bank accounts. In case you missed them, here are the cons...

- Devalues the leagues
- Devaules other countries leagues
- Opens the floodgates for greater expansion and eventually a 'Global Soccer League'
- Money will be spent paying for new houses for the likes of Ashley Cole
- Makes the league unfair

I've yet to hear one benefit for this idea, unless you work for Sky or one of the clubs i have no idea why anyone would be in favour of it.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:54 pm

Megson - towing the club line? I imagine most chairman are in favour of an extra £5 mil, can't blame them, especially chairman of falling attendances. I mean ironically enough our only full house in a few yrs time could be in a 60,000 stadium in the far east.

To be honest I'd rather we were relegated, playing teams like Stoke, Tranmere, Wolves etc I feel so strongly about this. Its not right, not fair (thanks for whoever pointed out my misunderstanding about it being an extra game) and its probably the final straw for me.

If (when?) this happens I will seriously my consider my position as a premier league supporter splashing out my hard earned. Might revert to playing footie again on a sat, or watching a local league side....though I'm torn as it just cannot feel the same, eclipse that feeling of seeing my team, my bolton score a matchwinner, an equaliser against a 'big' club...It saddens me to think about the next steps, I mean if Bolton Wanderers get 60,000 watching them in Asia, why not play more games there? Why not franchise there permanently?