Champions League tonight

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:57 pm

blurred wrote:Seems they were suffering from their old disease of trying to walk the ball into the net
Or walk it back out in the case of Bedntner! :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:08 pm

I like that new Torres song (same tune as that song from Die Hard 3 or some composer that I'm too ignorant to know)
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:43 pm

Athers wrote:I like that new Torres song (same tune as that song from Die Hard 3 or some composer that I'm too ignorant to know)
It's 'the animals went in two by two', or at least that's the name I know it by!

And it is a great song - can't beat a good bounce, as captured here at an empty Old Trafford http://youtube.com/watch?v=1Rfihh4xrjU

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:03 pm

blurred wrote:
Athers wrote:I like that new Torres song (same tune as that song from Die Hard 3 or some composer that I'm too ignorant to know)
It's 'the animals went in two by two', or at least that's the name I know it by!

And it is a great song - can't beat a good bounce, as captured here at an empty Old Trafford http://youtube.com/watch?v=1Rfihh4xrjU
Can't make out a bloody word out there, laa. What are they?

Also, I have that down as When Johnny Comes Marching Home, from the American Civil War. That said, they could well be one and the same tune.

Put to best use though by Mr Strummer and the boys. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6zcTRAeNp0

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:12 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Also, I have that down as When Jonny Comes Marching Home. That said, they could well be one and the same tune.
Aye, they're one and the same tune methinks. Words are:

His armband proved he was a Red, Torres, Torres
You'll Never Walk Alone it said, Torres, Torres
We bought the lad from sunny Spain,
He gets the ball, he scores again,
Fernando Torres - Liverpool's number 9

At this point everyone starts bouncing around and repeating the the same tune with lots of 'nanananana'ing. Can't really see the bounce on that OT video, though.

The armband thing refers to some picture of him while he was playing for Athletico where his captain's armband is unravelling and it's got 'You'll Never Walk Alone' on the inside - apparently it's some motto between him and his mates, has nowt to do with us!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:20 pm

Excellent. At our place I'm afraid he'd simply receive "Fer-nan-do Tor-res" followed by clap, clap - clap, clap, clap in much the same way that Jay Jay Okocha did along with anyone else that happens to have five syllables to thier name. Next season it'll probably be "Gar-y Do-her-ty" or suchlike :(

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:42 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Next season it'll probably be "Gar-y Do-her-ty" or suchlike :(
His shirt it proves he is a White, Gary, Gary.
Rbk it says in text-speak shite, Gary, Gary.
He's played for Spurs - who gives a toss?
We love him more than his ginger boss.
Gary Doherty - Wanderers' number forty-three.

:(

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:42 am

Little Green Man wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Next season it'll probably be "Gar-y Do-her-ty" or suchlike :(

I've just seen the future....and it scares me :cry:
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

spraggy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by spraggy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:17 am

Little Green Man wrote:

nice work - that's quite catchy

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:06 am

I really can't wait for tonight - I have a feeling it's going to be a special one, both on and off the pitch. Haven't looked forward to a game this much since the Chelsea 2nd leg last year... Don't think I'll be doing much in work, today; I can't concentrate!

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:12 am

blurred wrote:I really can't wait for tonight - I have a feeling it's going to be a special one, both on and off the pitch. Haven't looked forward to a game this much since the Chelsea 2nd leg last year... Don't think I'll be doing much in work, today; I can't concentrate!
A bit like me blurred. I'm totally disinterested and turned off by the constant hype of the Champs League, and will as I have done for the last couple of years, avoid watching any of the games tonight or tomorrow.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:23 am

blurred wrote:I really can't wait for tonight - I have a feeling it's going to be a special one, both on and off the pitch. Haven't looked forward to a game this much since the Chelsea 2nd leg last year... Don't think I'll be doing much in work, today; I can't concentrate!
On the basis that we got a nob-head on the site a couple of weeks back after the Arsenal game saying he's glad we're going down (probably because theyv'e generally got turned over at the 'Bok), the Scouse get my vote for tonight....:-) Should be a good game, looking forwards to Arsenal effectively being out of all competitions. nice people.

The only problem I can see here, is that I can't see any of the English clubs stopping them red bastards from down the road. Guess I'll just have to rely on Barcelona...

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:39 am

April 12th 2004

Liverpool 0-1 Charlton Athletic

April 8th 2008

Liverpool v Arsenal, European Cup 1/4 final

If you'd told me 4 years ago that we'd be staring down the barrel of our third European Cup semi-final in four years (and not even mentioning winning it once and being runners-up once) I'd've told you you were barking.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:03 am

blurred wrote:April 12th 2004

Liverpool 0-1 Charlton Athletic

April 8th 2008

Liverpool v Arsenal, European Cup 1/4 final

If you'd told me 4 years ago that we'd be staring down the barrel of our third European Cup semi-final in four years (and not even mentioning winning it once and being runners-up once) I'd've told you you were barking.
Not knocking it mate :-) Just saying that from my perspective, the best chance of stopping the red bastards would be by Barcelona in the semis. The thought that they might beat an English team in the final, does not bear thinking about when you live opposite a "Red" pub.

Alternatively, any English side beating the feckers with an 89th minute goal or on penalties would be marvellous, but too heart stopping to contemplate....

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:26 am

I seriously hope we do not get to the final if it's against the Mancs, for so many reasons. Unfortunately, Barcelona are shite in semi-finals in general, the big catalan bottlers, so I fear, like yourselves, that the Mancs will be off to Moscow, and more than likely to appear in an all-English final.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:50 am

Liverpool will win. Arsenal look tired for me and their back four is not good enough.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:07 pm

blurred wrote:Don't think I'll be doing much in work, today;
Do you ever?
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:41 pm

Athers wrote:
blurred wrote:Don't think I'll be doing much in work, today;
Do you ever?
Nope :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:25 pm

Traffic on the M62 is queuing from Burtonwood back to the M60, and on the M60 it's queuing clockwise down to Carrington and anti-clockwise past Prestwich. Looks like you might have to make do with 'one of those special Anfield European second halves' old son because God knows what the M6 must look like.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:54 pm

On European nights it's only scousers though don't forget, they just walk 100 yards down the road ;)

Chances of clapping half way through YNWA as the teams come out tonight?