Champions League tonight

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:24 pm

Loving hearing Wenger whinging on about us getting the decisions tonight... Is there a worse loser in football than him? Seriously?
Because had Adebayor tripped over his own feet in the box to give Arsenal a penalty that sent them though, the Fat Spanish Waiter would have congratulated Arsenal and wished them well on their way to Moscow? Come off it. They're all as bad as each other.

chester white
Promising
Promising

Post by chester white » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:49 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:Jim Beglin is the anti-Christ.
Do not get me started on that pr*ck!
The Sherpa Van Trophy! We've won it one time!

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:10 pm

Tombwfc wrote:Because had Adebayor tripped over his own feet in the box to give Arsenal a penalty that sent them though, the Fat Spanish Waiter would have congratulated Arsenal and wished them well on their way to Moscow? Come off it. They're all as bad as each other.
I know that they all have a moan after a game, but Wenger is a particularly bad loser (with selective vision). Fergie's obviously a bad nark, too, but Arsene is top of that list for my money.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:14 pm

blurred wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:Because had Adebayor tripped over his own feet in the box to give Arsenal a penalty that sent them though, the Fat Spanish Waiter would have congratulated Arsenal and wished them well on their way to Moscow? Come off it. They're all as bad as each other.
I know that they all have a moan after a game, but Wenger is a particularly bad loser (with selective vision). Fergie's obviously a bad nark, too, but Arsene is top of that list for my money.
Benitez moans more than Wenger. And thats from a fan that likes neither Wenger, nor Benitez.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:19 pm

Quality game. Was a great atmosphere in the bar I was working at, and the last ten minutes were amazing.

Penalty or no penalty, if Toure decides he's going to clamber all over the back of Babel in the area he's asking for trouble. Only seen it a couple of times but I think the ref was vindicated in giving the penalty.

On another note...

heard on setanta this morning that bookies are offering 25/1 for Ronaldo to score tonight, the two semis and the final presuming they get there. might be worth a quid.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:56 pm

Verbal wrote:Quality game. Was a great atmosphere in the bar I was working at, and the last ten minutes were amazing.

Penalty or no penalty, if Toure decides he's going to clamber all over the back of Babel in the area he's asking for trouble. Only seen it a couple of times but I think the ref was vindicated in giving the penalty.

On another note...

heard on setanta this morning that bookies are offering 25/1 for Ronaldo to score tonight, the two semis and the final presuming they get there. might be worth a quid.
Maybe worth a few quid, but isn't there something immoral about making money out of it? Your winnings would be tainted, no doubt about that...
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:08 pm

Puskas wrote:
Verbal wrote:Quality game. Was a great atmosphere in the bar I was working at, and the last ten minutes were amazing.

On another note...

Maybe worth a few quid, but isn't there something immoral about making money out of it? Your winnings would be tainted, no doubt about that...
Possibly. I don't see any harm in betting on anything like that unless Bolton are involved though

Funnily enough a guy I work with, his dad's a united fan. Apparently, he puts on a few quid on united to lose, so that something good can come out of it for him at least. Then I'd consider my winnings tainted!

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:11 pm

Verbal wrote:heard on setanta this morning that bookies are offering 25/1 for Ronaldo to score tonight, the two semis and the final presuming they get there. might be worth a quid.
Absolutely appalling odds - I'd rather back him to score anytime tonight, should it win roll that on to anytime scorer in the first leg, then second leg and then the final. You'd end up with more than £26 if they all came in, that's for sure.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:21 pm

Can't say I know much about betting, whats good/whats bad, but...

ladbrokes offering him at 1.72/1 to score at anytime tonight. Works out if the odds stay the same for every match, your initial quid would turn into 56 or something like that if you follow your method, blurred

But I would suspect if he does score in the rest of the CL games, the odds will become alot shorter.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
blurred wrote:
Benitez moans more than Wenger. And thats from a fan that likes neither Wenger, nor Benitez.
Nah sorry, the day has come where I have to agree with blurred. Whinger is the worst by a long way imo, then the waiter, and overall compared to them, I don't think Fergies that much of a moaner, ok his ref outburst and his anti-SKD rant weren't the best a couple of weeks ago, but usually he's giving the digs out before a game, rather than after it. He's not in their league.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:07 pm

Verbal wrote:ladbrokes offering him at 1.72/1 to score at anytime tonight. Works out if the odds stay the same for every match, your initial quid would turn into 56 or something like that if you follow your method, blurred

But I would suspect if he does score in the rest of the CL games, the odds will become alot shorter.
I was expecting him to be at somewhere between evens and 2/1 for an anytime goal, so that sounds about right. The odds don't change much game on game - if anything they'll be longer when he's playing Barcelona than Roma.

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:32 pm

Great game last night but if Liverpool win the Champions League then so what? Unless they bag the premier League then it's meaningless imo. Gerrard and co might go all their careers without the most coveted prize in football.
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:49 pm

bobby5 wrote:Great game last night but if Liverpool win the Champions League then so what? Unless they bag the premier League then it's meaningless imo. Gerrard and co might go all their careers without the most coveted prize in football.
Yeah, they'd be gutted to win multiple European Cups, I'm sure. Meaningless indeed.

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:53 pm

blurred wrote:
bobby5 wrote:Great game last night but if Liverpool win the Champions League then so what? Unless they bag the premier League then it's meaningless imo. Gerrard and co might go all their careers without the most coveted prize in football.
Yeah, they'd be gutted to win multiple European Cups, I'm sure. Meaningless indeed.
But do you prize the CL over the Prem. What would be the one trophy you as a fan would want?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:55 pm

As a Bolton fan either thanks :-)

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:01 pm

Worthy4England wrote:As a Bolton fan either thanks :-)
Even the Isle of Man Tourist Board Trophy ! :D

WhiteArmy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by WhiteArmy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:13 pm

bobby5 wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:As a Bolton fan either thanks :-)
Even the Isle of Man Tourist Board Trophy ! :D
We haven't won the Lancashire Cup for a while either :shock:

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:13 pm

bobby5 wrote:But do you prize the CL over the Prem. What would be the one trophy you as a fan would want?
I think there's an obsession with the league, because it's been so long since we won it, but that's not devaluing the European Cup at all - Benitez has been to more finals in 4 years with us as Ferguson has in 20, and you know that pisses him off. Ferguson and, by extension, United fans want to do well in Europe because they've had domestic success, and we want domestic success because we've been there and done that in Europe. That suggests to me that the competitions are pretty equal, to be honest.

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:18 pm

blurred wrote:
bobby5 wrote:But do you prize the CL over the Prem. What would be the one trophy you as a fan would want?
I think there's an obsession with the league, because it's been so long since we won it, but that's not devaluing the European Cup at all - Benitez has been to more finals in 4 years with us as Ferguson has in 20, and you know that pisses him off. Ferguson and, by extension, United fans want to do well in Europe because they've had domestic success, and we want domestic success because we've been there and done that in Europe. That suggests to me that the competitions are pretty equal, to be honest.
Actually that does make me chuckle. Fergie wants the CL so bad.

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:26 pm

I just hope Barca win it, the other teams are pretty despicable.