Guardian Classic post Re: Hillsborough

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

wovlad
Promising
Promising
Location: Underneath the squeaky floorboard, behind the kitchen dresser

Guardian Classic post Re: Hillsborough

Post by wovlad » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:50 pm

Article by David Lacey it really is an excellent piece of journalism. Sadly, wrongly & scandalously hacks at The Sun produced works of fiction that overshadowed this. It gives mention to the Burnden disaster also

In David Lacey's report from 1989, he asks why British football had so obviously failed to heed the lessons of the past

Guardian ClassicApril 15, 2008 9:13 AM
The third instalment in our series of classic reports was published on April 17 1989. It was the Monday after the Hillsborough tragedy, in which 96 people lost their lives. David Lacey, the Guardian's football correspondent between 1973 and 2002, was at the ground. This piece was written in the immediate aftermath of the game. In it, Lacey asks why British football had so obviously failed to heed the lessons of the past.

First the pain, then the anger, then the questions - and as English football again counts its dead, this time after the worst tragedy in a British stadium, the biggest question of all is stark in its simplicity.

How was it possible, after all the previous disasters, inquiries, working parties, reports, recommendations and Acts of Parliament, for almost a hundred people to be crushed to death in a football ground which had a good safety record and was not full to capacity, while only a few yards away other spectators were moving around with room to spare?

Hillsborough was no Heysel because there was no riot, it was not a Bradford because there was no fire, it was not an Ibrox because there was no crush of fans going in opposite directions and it was not a Bolton because the ground as a whole was not overwhelmed by weight of numbers. Yet certain aspects of each tragedy are highly relevant to what happened at the start of Saturday's doomed FA Cup semi-final.

In Brussels four years ago an already terrible situation was exacerbated by the lack of liaison between groups of police inside and outside the stadium. For a few tragic minutes there appears to have been a similar breakdown of communications at Hillsborough.

Much is being made of the decision, taken by a police officer shortly before Saturday's kick-off, to open a gate at the Leppings Lane end of the ground in order to ease the crush of Liverpool fans, some with tickets, some without, trying to get in. Had he known of the crush already built up in the passageway leading from turnstile B to the small rectangle of terracing immediately behind the Liverpool goal the gates would surely have remained shut.

Yet high above the Leppings Lane end a closed-circuit television camera must have given the police control room inside the ground a full picture of crowd movements on the forecourt, and the naked eye could see what was developing on the terraces. Why did the police fail to act on the evidence of their eyes and at least get the kick-off delayed?

Any policeman with regular experience of controlling football crowds will tell you that when a big match is played and people are coming through the turnstiles at the last minute the most critical point occurs as the game kicks off and those outside, hearing the roar inside, will redouble their efforts to gain entrance. It was this that produced the fatal surge at Hillsborough. If the game had been put back half an hour nobody need have died.

One of the lessons of Bradford was that in times of emergency the pitch represents the spectators' best means of escape. At Hillsborough people were fenced in on three sides with only tiny gates giving them access to the pitch. It had always been feared that pens designed to segregate fans and prevent pitch invasions might one day become death traps. On Saturday anti-hooliganism measures cost lives.

The Ibrox disaster of 1971 led directly to the 1975 Safety of Sports Grounds Act which laid particular emphasis on spectators having safe access to and egress from stadiums as well as giving strict guidelines on how many people could safely be accommodated in a given area. Hillsborough 's flow of admissions is controlled by computers which told Mr Graham Mackrell, the Sheffield Wednesday secretary, that even as the disaster happened the crowd occupying the terraces at the Leppings Gate was still below capacity. So why were so many people crammed into one small space when there was room elsewhere?

Afterwards an inspection of that end of the ground in the company of Mr Richard Faulkner, deputy chairman of the Football Trust, suggested that had the police been able to avoid the crush outside the perimeter gate the late arrivals could easily have been accommodated on the terracing on either side of the disaster area.

Mr John Williams, a Football Trust research lecturer at the Leicester University Department of Sociology who has co-authored several books on the behaviour of soccer fans, could not understand why there had been so few police controlling the inflow at the Liverpool end. "Why weren't barriers set up at the end of the street so that the police could make a check on who had tickets?" Mr Williams asked. "There was a crush at the turnstiles at 2.30 and I could see ticketless fans sitting on the walls looking for a way in. It was already becoming a problem then."

Mr Williams had a stand seat which gave him a full view of the disaster. "We could see people being crushed against the barriers at the front of the terracing but others were still pressing in at the back. Then both police and spectators started to rip out the fencing in order to get supporters out of that section."

Logic suggests that Liverpool should not have been allocated that end of Hillsborough at all but should have been allowed to fill the huge expanse of terracing at the Penistone Road end. Yet for the second year running Nottingham Forest , with an average home attendance of just over 21,000, were allocated 28,000 tickets and spread themselves across the Spion Kop while Liverpool, whose average gate is nearer 40,000, were given 24,000 and a comparatively cramped enclosure.

Officially the Football Association decides the ticket allocation for semi-finals but it takes advice from the home club, Sheffield Wednesday in this case, who in turn act on the requirements of the police. At Hillsborough the prime concern of South Yorkshire Police appears to have been traffic flows. When it came to controlling a flow of people they were found wanting.

Nottingham Forest were allotted the Penistone Road end and Liverpool the Leppings Lane end on geographical grounds. The fact that this meant Anfield receiving 4,000 fewer tickets was merely incidental. Yet Mr Rogan Taylor, Liverpudlian head of the Football Supporters' Association, argued that the organisers should have taken differing strengths of support into account.

'Anyone who knows Liverpool fans should have realised that in this situation thousands would turn up without tickets. If you don't take support into account you are lighting the blue touch paper.'

Apart from the odd idiot, usually young and at least alive, the abiding memory of Saturday's experience will be the immense dignity with which all involved conducted themselves. Not least were the Liverpool fans who used advertising boards as makeshift stretchers and ferried the injured and the dying to the ambulances with the speed and efficiency of highly trained paramedics.

Amid the chaos there were bound to be absurdities, asking spectators to clear the pitch, for example, when it was obvious that there was nowhere for them to go. The lack of information over the public-address system was deplorable. It was 50 minutes before Kenny Dalglish's voice was heard: "Obviously everone knows that there have been one or two problems. Please co-operate .. "

It took a long time for the extent of the tragedy to reach the rest of the crowd. There was a roar of anger when a Liverpool supporter was spotted apparently demolishing the goal at the Leppings Lane end. In fact he had been hoisted on a policeman's shoulders to remove the net which was impeding the rescue operation.

Just after five o'clock, when in normal circumstances the winners would have been celebrating their success in reaching Wembley or the game would have been well into extra-time, a young couple wandered dazed across the deserted pitch - the woman in tears, the man comforting her in a numbed sort of way. The poignancy of that moment only hardened the opinion that the worst tragedy in British sport had been the most avoidable.

There is the vaguest recollecton of the front page of the old Sunday Dispatch on March 10, 1946, covered with pictures of spectators crushed at Bolton after fans had broken through closed gates to see an FA Cup quarter-final against Stoke. Forty-three years ago the idea of 33 people being killed just because they went to a game of football left a hollow feeling inside and on Saturday, driving home, the feeling was there again.

Nobody should have to die in order to see Peter Beardsley hit the bar. English football grounds are many times safer than they were in the rickety days immediately after the Second World War but the capacity for human error and faulty judgments in a crisis is undiminished. Hillsborough has proved that.
If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:15 pm

'Anyone who knows Liverpool fans should have realised that in this situation thousands would turn up without tickets. If you don't take support into account you are lighting the blue touch paper.'
This riled me - This was from the Official Liverpool supporters association.

terrible, terrible tragedy but a mirror and a bloke looking at himself is required

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:29 pm

boltonboris wrote:
This riled me - This was from the Official Liverpool supporters association.

terrible, terrible tragedy but a mirror and a bloke looking at himself is required
Without any disrespect for what was a terrible tragedy, not sure how that could have been handled to be honest? A ground only holds so many and you can either get in or you can't. I had no ticket for Leeds v Bolton in the cup and got locked out. There was nothing else to do but go home. Dissapointed wasn't the word, but that's how it was.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:05 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Without any disrespect for what was a terrible tragedy, not sure how that could have been handled to be honest? A ground only holds so many and you can either get in or you can't. I had no ticket for Leeds v Bolton in the cup and got locked out. There was nothing else to do but go home. Dissapointed wasn't the word, but that's how it was.
Without wanting to go into the whole thing (although I'm happy to should people have questions or want to hear more), we were there before in a semi final, and there was a ticket cordon a few hundred yards away from the terraces, operating a primary check and only letting people with tickets through. I could drag up some more info on the precise details if you like, but the safety arrangements were changed from previous times that we played at Hillsborough (notwithstanding the fact that Forest were allocated something like 24000 tickets when they had an average attendance of 20000, and we were given 20000 tickets and the smaller end when we had an average attendance of almost double that).

There were always going to be ticketless fans, but until they changed the systems around the ground to ensure safety, this had never been a problem before.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:08 am

blurred wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Without any disrespect for what was a terrible tragedy, not sure how that could have been handled to be honest? A ground only holds so many and you can either get in or you can't. I had no ticket for Leeds v Bolton in the cup and got locked out. There was nothing else to do but go home. Dissapointed wasn't the word, but that's how it was.
Without wanting to go into the whole thing (although I'm happy to should people have questions or want to hear more), we were there before in a semi final, and there was a ticket cordon a few hundred yards away from the terraces, operating a primary check and only letting people with tickets through. I could drag up some more info on the precise details if you like, but the safety arrangements were changed from previous times that we played at Hillsborough (notwithstanding the fact that Forest were allocated something like 24000 tickets when they had an average attendance of 20000, and we were given 20000 tickets and the smaller end when we had an average attendance of almost double that).

There were always going to be ticketless fans, but until they changed the systems around the ground to ensure safety, this had never been a problem before.
I can understand the fans wanting to see the game, and the Bolton disaster seems to have occurred from fans forcing their way in also, but how many disasters must occur and how many people die before the fans become aware of why ticket allocations are as they are? The allocations are based on safe numbers and, heartbreaking as it is to miss the game, the rules aren't made for fun or just for the sake of having them. Pray God another disaster never occurs where even one fan is killed because others ignore the rules. I repeat, I make the point with the deepest sympathy for the families of those who died, but let's never have another at any ground. Not long ago, Commie mentioned damage litigation, but it can't apply unless people listen. Surely we've learned that much at least?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:48 am

blurred wrote:

Yada, yada, yada. If you don't have a valid ticket then you have no right of entry. Everyone else seems to grasp this concept, how come your shower expect some sort of exception to be made? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:28 am

Without wanting to go into the whole thing (although I'm happy to should people have questions or want to hear more),
For fu ck's sake

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:53 pm

This fans without ticket business is bullshite, everyone knows there are touts galore offering tickets, its just a smoke screen to take away the real problem. Same goes for fans turning up at the last minute, it always happens none of this was new (and it still happens)

Mmmm let me think there are hordes of fans trying to get into a tiny space, whilst there is loads of room outside (I think Sheffield is a pretty big city), now we do our job properly and disperse the crowds and control them or just open a gate or two and try and squeeze too many into too small a space!