England v Damn Yankees

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed May 28, 2008 11:04 pm

I think the USA should play their next games without further Adu - he was shite.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 28, 2008 11:17 pm

Little Green Man wrote:I think the USA should play their next games without further Adu - he was shite.
You mean much Adu about nothing? :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed May 28, 2008 11:20 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Little Green Man wrote:I think the USA should play their next games without further Adu - he was shite.
You mean much Adu about nothing? :wink:
Idu

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 28, 2008 11:26 pm

Why are Black Lace suddenly jumping about in my head? :wink:

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Thu May 29, 2008 4:31 am

TANGODANCER wrote:The Yank team had nothing to be ashamed of
Thanks, although I'm not sure I can agree. I will personally break Josh Wolff's legs if it means I can spend my prison term watching Wolff-free games. He is shit in every way. I think we really missed Donovan's pace and set piece delivery. Heath Pearce had a good game, everyone else ranged from average to poor.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu May 29, 2008 8:38 am

Do you think Alexei Lalas will still claim MLS as better than the Premier League after this?

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Thu May 29, 2008 1:13 pm

Does anyone give a shit about England any more? Since we've been in Europe any attempt to follow them abroad (the highlight of being an England fan) will be surely be poor in comparison (just like visiting those cities without the white army would be).

The players are almost all despicable and that doesn't help either.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Thu May 29, 2008 1:17 pm

Athers wrote:Does anyone give a shit about England any more? Since we've been in Europe any attempt to follow them abroad (the highlight of being an England fan) will be surely be poor in comparison (just like visiting those cities without the white army would be).

I don't. I finally lost patience with them at the 2004 Euros. I'll enjoy this summer's competition more without them. We won't have to put with the pundits bigging up the likes of Gerrard and Lampard, followed by those players performing dismally.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu May 29, 2008 1:31 pm

England play turgid football - the same could be said of the Wanderers, but at least we have the excuse of being a small club with little money - yet England perform pretty much the same with a 'Galaxy of Stars'.

Frankly I'm just glad I don't have to read the xenophobic, wildly optimistic crap that would start to appear in the papers around this time. With that and the WAGS, on balance I'm happy that we aren't going to the Euros this summer.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Thu May 29, 2008 2:05 pm

I though Beckham proved a point last night, thought he was brilliant whilst he was on. Delivers dead balls like nobody else and Bentley did nothing to show he should be his immediate replacement. Not sure if he can give 90 minutes any more but he'd be my starting right midfielder for sure.

Thought Gerrard on the left with Rooney up front played very very well together. Hargreaves solid too. Defoe was lively but CANNOT miss chances like that, his first chance was a dead cert...and to be honest, a striker at international level should have been able to take that on his left and score instead of forcing it onto his right and missing the target completely.

Our commentators kept whinging on and on about everything but I, for some unknown reason, thought it was one of the best performances I've seen England give for a long long time and I enjoyed the game a lot.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Thu May 29, 2008 5:03 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:England play turgid football - the same could be said of the Wanderers
I actually thought it was the U.S. that looked like Bolton yesterday . . . slow, isolated forwards, long throws (Pearce and Gooch have cannons for arms, Jesus), Campo/Speed style set pieces delivery (i.e. bad), couldn't keep possession . . . and so on.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu May 29, 2008 5:08 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:England play turgid football - the same could be said of the Wanderers
I actually thought it was the U.S. that looked like Bolton yesterday . . . slow, isolated forwards, long throws (Pearce and Gooch have cannons for arms, Jesus), Campo/Speed style set pieces delivery (i.e. bad), couldn't keep possession . . . and so on.
WIth all due respect HP, the Yanks looked a poor team. When we meet some of our European neighbours and the South Americans, we look painfully one dimensional and devoid of ideas.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu May 29, 2008 6:17 pm

warthog wrote:
Athers wrote:Does anyone give a shit about England any more? Since we've been in Europe any attempt to follow them abroad (the highlight of being an England fan) will be surely be poor in comparison (just like visiting those cities without the white army would be).

I don't. I finally lost patience with them at the 2004 Euros. I'll enjoy this summer's competition more without them. We won't have to put with the pundits bigging up the likes of Gerrard and Lampard, followed by those players performing dismally.
I'm much more interested in watching the Netherlands v Denmark tonight to see how my adopted team, the Oranje, are shaping up for Euro 2008, than I was in last night's friendly.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Thu May 29, 2008 7:06 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:WIth all due respect HP, the Yanks looked a poor team. When we meet some of our European neighbours and the South Americans, we look painfully one dimensional and devoid of ideas.
We're capable of better than that. I think Bradley was focusing on the European-based players which ruled out some MLS players who would have improved the team. Specifically Brian Ching, you can't play that kind of game without a target forward who can hold the ball up. Hoping we make some changes for the friendly against Spain or we'll be slaughtered. Dempsey needs to pull his head out of his ass, looked like he was playing a pick-up game in a park.

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Thu May 29, 2008 7:32 pm

Sums my thoughts up. Only became aware there was a game on at half 7 yesterday and still couldn't be bothered to watch. It's hard to like a team largely comprised of such nice people.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Thu May 29, 2008 7:36 pm

Wierd to here so many people not caring...I didn't jump up and down but I still want to see England play.

Won't be staying up for the 10:20pm kick off against Trinidad & Tobago though.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu May 29, 2008 7:56 pm

FD wrote:Wierd to here so many people not caring...I didn't jump up and down but I still want to see England play.

I still care... I was watching the game on a treadmill and it was a reflex reaction to give it a fist pump when we scored.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

White Army
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by White Army » Thu May 29, 2008 8:02 pm

FD wrote:Wierd to here so many people not caring...I didn't jump up and down but I still want to see England play.

Well said FD, i always want England to win, even at tiddlywinks. Must be old-fashioned me, too many people are apathetic regarding the national team. Mind you i also like the Scots and Northern Irish teams to win too, dunno why but have never had the same thing for the Welsh :conf:
I'll deffo stay up for the T&T game, hoping Capello can get the right striker to work alongside Rooney, thought he was superb for 90% of the time he played last night.

Dunno who quoted it but if Lallas said the MLS is better than the EPL, that's the stupidest thing that's come out of the guy since his hair. :crazy:
Halliwell Mile done 228 times.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu May 29, 2008 8:17 pm

Think a lot of the apathy about our national side came about from the realistion that Britannia no longer rules the waves, not even the Mexican versions. Maybe we needed a short sharp shock (or was that a long painful toothache during the previous manager reigns?) Whatever it was, we got it during the exit from the current Euro campaign.

Maybe now, under Fiery Fabio we'll start again and rebuild some pride as well as a team worthy of support. I'm like the rest, I wail and moan about the side but never miss a game but, come the next World Cup we're going to have to do some fighting to regain our credibility as a top nation. Right now, as Euro spectators, it's going to be awful hard to realise that we must never again take our status for granted. Just like our own lot, it's onward and upward with everything to lose.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Thu May 29, 2008 8:32 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Think a lot of the apathy about our national side came about from the realistion that Britannia no longer rules the waves, not even the Mexican versions. Maybe we needed a short sharp shock (or was that a long painful toothache during the previous manager reigns?) Whatever it was, we got it during the exit from the current Euro campaign.
Granted, I am an outsider, but to me England just seems like an episode of Dream Team. Football is just an excuse for a bunch of gossip, drama, and backstabbing. Weeks of build-up, speculation, debate, argument, breaking news, headlines, feature articles, rumors . . . all in service of an extremely workmanlike performance against a team that didn't play very well at all. You can only handle so many games like that before you get burned out.