GB Olympic Team

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Batman

GB Olympic Team

Post by Batman » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:50 am

'Mon then.....

pick your team (including subs) and a manager.

Don't forget the rules, only allowed three over 23 year olds.......

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:35 am

No, cos it's a fecking shite idea.

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:47 am

Is this for 2008 or 2012?

Only if it's for 2012 I don't know enough about the current crop of under 19 year olds who will qualify.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:49 am

Do it for now, as if it was being held now.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:16 pm

fatshaft wrote:No, cos it's a fecking shite idea.
amazing how you sweaties are happy with a GB team in any other team game at the Olympics, or rugby and so on. But Ach nae, we dinnae want tae no aboot a gb fitba team.

The independence of the sfa is a bs argument. Blatter has said he couldn't give a shiny shite about a GB team, it's down to two things - scots being chippy and the fact it'd be embarrassing with just 1 jock in the squad.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:20 pm

Go on then Batty, you first (welcome back by the way mate)

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:11 am

http://www.noteamgb.com/

all those against, heres a website!!

doesnt bother me really, not like any scots welsh or irish would get in anyway :grin:

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:43 am

communistworkethic wrote:
fatshaft wrote:No, cos it's a fecking shite idea.
amazing how you sweaties are happy with a GB team in any other team game at the Olympics, or rugby and so on. But Ach nae, we dinnae want tae no aboot a gb fitba team.

The independence of the sfa is a bs argument. Blatter has said he couldn't give a shiny shite about a GB team, it's down to two things - scots being chippy and the fact it'd be embarrassing with just 1 jock in the squad.
It's not Commie, there is a real danger that we could be voted into a GB team once the precedent is set. Just because Blatter says something doesn't really matter, because 1) He's a raving loon, and 2) He won't be president forever.

It is as simple as that, it's nothing to do with lack of representation on the team or any other argument, it's a single issue concern, and a very real one.

Like you say we don't care in any other sport, but the reason we do care in football is because the issue has been raised (by the Africans mainly) in the past about the UK having four teams :roll: The last thing we need is Coe and his agenda fecking up a sport he has no interest in, all he's doing is trying to get football a much higher Olypic profile in this country so that we will be more accepting of the expense, and have more interest in, his plaything - London 2012.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:49 am

officer_dibble wrote:http://www.noteamgb.com/

all those against, heres a website!!
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/NTOBFT/

LeeRoyBrown
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by LeeRoyBrown » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:49 am

I really hope this does happen - I might actually watch the Olympics if it does. I don't understand the negativity on this one?? (Fatshaft et al)

Batman

Post by Batman » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:44 pm

Cos only one scot would conceivably get in were it played now.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:57 pm

Batman wrote:Cos only one scot would conceivably get in were it played now.
Who?

I'm sure theres somebody obvious but I'm struggling
Sto ut Serviam

Batman

Post by Batman » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:00 pm

Well maybe Barry Ferguson, but that's aboot it......I think.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:16 pm

Batman wrote:Well maybe Barry Ferguson, but that's aboot it......I think.
LOL, at least that confirms your iignorance on Scottish football, if you place that wee ned at the head of the queue

Batman

Post by Batman » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:17 pm

I never claimed to be the expert, but the captain of your lot has the best chance, who else would they pick? Hutton? McFadden? Miller? Nah.

Baw-bags the lot.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:22 pm

LeeRoyBrown wrote:I really hope this does happen - I might actually watch the Olympics if it does. I don't understand the negativity on this one?? (Fatshaft et al)
Well if you don;t understand it, read it again then. As for your first ssentence, you are exactly who Coe is targetting, and the reaosn why. He knows that drugs have killed athletics and to a lesser extent the Olympics, so needs a carrot to get the UK public behind the expense of it all, and you're falling for it. Funny, I'm sure I've seen this already stated in this thread? :roll:

Also, a question for you. Do you watch the U21s at the moment, because very few do, and that's what you'd be getting, except of course it would be GB instead of England/Scatland/Wales & NI, so for those who already have no time for international football they'll have even less interest, many will have no interest in a combined team rather than national teams, and others like myself will be downright antagonistic to the whole thing.

As for getting Fergie to manage the team, that just shows how out of touch with football he is if he thinks he'd get involved

Coe can just feck off as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: I should add I'm nott in any way against the olypics, but this is nothing more than a cynical attempt at gaining mass backing for the drugs taking championship in this country.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:07 pm

Fatshaft, have you got a sticky M-key or something? :wink:
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:46 pm

Batman wrote:I never claimed to be the expert, but the captain of your lot has the best chance, who else would they pick? Hutton? McFadden? Miller? Nah.

Baw-bags the lot.
First of all, it's UNDER 23, with I believe three over age players, so he would have to be one of the three over agers, unlikely I imagine.

But let's for a minute just think of your full team and possible options, first choice would obviously be Craig Gordon, who would get in on merit over the bunch of fumbling juggling clowns currently attempting to fill the space between the sticks.

The rest of the full English team is pretty strong on paper, so perhaps only Hutton has a clear shot at making a select XI if Neville was injured, but as for midfield, no, Scott Brown, Robson and Hartley would all be ahead in the pecking order for a midfield spot over the bigot in chief.

Anyway, please name your U23 squad, it's obviously a hugely attractive proposition, so I'd be interested to see who would be in the team - sorry, I mean interested to see if you could name an U23 team.

Batman

Post by Batman » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:50 pm

Oh dear, get Fletcher in there too, he's off to Real Madrid don't you know.

I said it was under 23 in the top post, have a look there first.

Craig Gordon? Had a sparkling season didn't he. More chance of McGregor.

Hutton and Brown, Hartley and Robson......two unproven kids and two 30 plus journeymen....good call.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:01 pm

Batman wrote:Oh dear, get Fletcher in there too, he's off to Real Madrid don't you know.

I said it was under 23 in the top post, have a look there first.

Craig Gordon? Had a sparkling season didn't he. More chance of McGregor.

Hutton and Brown, Hartley and Robson......two unproven kids and two 30 plus journeymen....good call.
Gordon, as compared to Robbo or Carson, still good enough I would have thought? And yes, McGregor would be better than Bobo & Coco too.

And I didnt say any of those were good enough to get into an English team, I said they were far better choices than your sole possible, the wee ned.

Good to see you back :?