England.....do you care anymore?

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

England.....do you care anymore?

Yes
20%
No
46%
Will watch but don't care
9%
Of course I care...it's England!
25%

Total votes: 56

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:18 pm

boltonboris wrote:Liverpool and England aren't the same though... You should be another country entirely
Would suit a lot of folks around these parts, that's for sure, and not just the footie fans.

Time for a big generalisation: England is for cockneys and people who support small clubs, anyway. Cockneys because it's based in London and the squad is filled with London players, often for inexplicable reasons, and small club fans because it's a) an opportunity to go abroad because their team doesn't play in Europe, and b) some minuscule chance of vicarious glory. Chuck in the odd bigot and misguided patriot and that's just about all your England fans.

There's not much support for England among Liverpool or United fans, because they need neither the novelty of foreign football nor the chance of success, and both cities have quite a strong sense of their own identity - also include Newcastle with that, but to a slightly lesser extent. People from those 3 cities would quite often describe themselves as Scousers/Mancs/Geordies before English. The flags that you see from the travelling England fans always have the likes of 'Bury' or 'Milton Keynes' or 'West Ham' on it, rarely will you see Liverpool, United or Arsenal flags on display, despite these being three of the most well-supported clubs in the country.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:43 pm

blurred wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Liverpool and England aren't the same though... You should be another country entirely
Would suit a lot of folks around these parts, that's for sure, and not just the footie fans.

Time for a big generalisation: England is for cockneys and people who support small clubs, anyway. Cockneys because it's based in London and the squad is filled with London players, often for inexplicable reasons, and small club fans because it's a) an opportunity to go abroad because their team doesn't play in Europe, and b) some minuscule chance of vicarious glory. Chuck in the odd bigot and misguided patriot and that's just about all your England fans.

There's not much support for England among Liverpool or United fans, because they need neither the novelty of foreign football nor the chance of success, and both cities have quite a strong sense of their own identity - also include Newcastle with that, but to a slightly lesser extent. People from those 3 cities would quite often describe themselves as Scousers/Mancs/Geordies before English. The flags that you see from the travelling England fans always have the likes of 'Bury' or 'Milton Keynes' or 'West Ham' on it, rarely will you see Liverpool, United or Arsenal flags on display, despite these being three of the most well-supported clubs in the country.
And there I was thinking that the english team had a very strong presence in recent years of Liverpool and Man U players, and assumed that because the English teams were so crap that they were embarrassed and feigned a lack of interest.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:49 pm

Of course I care, I'm English. Was a time when winning an England cap was football's highest accolade here. Money and the easy life have taken care of that one, just like in most football. The fans still care more than the players seem to.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:57 pm

seanworth wrote:And there I was thinking that the english team had a very strong presence in recent years of Liverpool and Man U players, and assumed that because the English teams were so crap that they were embarrassed and feigned a lack of interest.
I'm not quite sure I get what you're driving at - we should be embarrassed for England's performances because our players are involved? Erm... No. We don't care. We just want our players back and uninjured to get on with the important competitoins .

Compare that to a Rochdale fan (picking a random team) whose team will sit in mediocrity and have bugger all chance of reaching a final or winning anything of consequence, and suddenly England getting to the world cup/euros is a great idea because he can live vicariously through the success of others.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:58 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Of course I care, I'm English
An accident of birth, nothing more. I'm English, and I don't care. How does that work, then?

BwfcDan
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BwfcDan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:58 pm

I'm not keen on watching the qualifiers unless it's important.
Love watching the World cup and Supporting the lads even if it does end in disappointment.
This country is falling apart at the moment but that wont stop me keeping St George in me heart!!
Up the english!!!!!
"Im a big fish in a small pond"... "Your not a big fish! Your not even a fish!"

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:00 pm

BwfcDan wrote:I'm not keen on watching the qualifiers unless it's important.
Love watching the World cup and Supporting the lads even if it does end in disappointment.
This country is falling apart at the moment but that wont stop me keeping St George in me heart!!
Up the english!!!!!

i'll let someone else point out the massive contradictions here

i'm too busy laughing at the stupidity of some people

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:04 pm

blurred wrote:
An accident of birth, nothing more. I'm English, and I don't care. How does that work, then?
Isn't all football-support an accident of birth, though? Unless, of course, you're a glory-hunting Rags fan, you'll tend to support your local club. No particular logic or thought to it.
Although, with the global coverage of the Premier League, there may be an increase of foreign fans who pick a time for a variety of reasons - often because one of their countrymen plays for it. Which is, again, an accident of birth...
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:06 pm

blurred wrote:
seanworth wrote:And there I was thinking that the english team had a very strong presence in recent years of Liverpool and Man U players, and assumed that because the English teams were so crap that they were embarrassed and feigned a lack of interest.
I'm not quite sure I get what you're driving at - we should be embarrassed for England's performances because our players are involved? Erm... No. We don't care. We just want our players back and uninjured to get on with the important competitoins .

Compare that to a Rochdale fan (picking a random team) whose team will sit in mediocrity and have bugger all chance of reaching a final or winning anything of consequence, and suddenly England getting to the world cup/euros is a great idea because he can live vicariously through the success of others.
Just taking the piss. Anyway I can guarantee if England qualify for the world cup, and are successful every single one of you (the English at least) will be going absolutely bonkers. Just like the cricket and the ashes a few years ago. How many years did you go without a victory. I could never find anyone who seemed to give a hoot about cricket anymore (Yes I realize there are some of you out there). As soon as England started showing signs of winning the competition everyone in the country loved the sport and were an expert to boot. I don't intend this post to be insulting, but don't fool yourself, if England were close to winning the World Cup the country would literally shut down. Just imagine being able to sing "two world wars and two world cups do da ....."

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:31 pm

seanworth wrote:Just taking the piss. Anyway I can guarantee if England qualify for the world cup, and are successful every single one of you (the English at least) will be going absolutely bonkers.
If we were to win it would be mighty impressive, and I will 'follow' England in the very loosest sense of the word in major tournaments, but I find these interminable friendlies and qualifiers just such a bore-fest that I really can't be arsed, to the extent that I'll usually not even bother watching them on TV. So long as Gerrard et al come away from the games injury free (and preferably having been substituted), then I'm happy.

When a major championship comes around then I'll watch them, but partly because I'd watch a pretty decent proportion of the Euros or World Cup anyway. I wouldn't be out there in my tub-thumping, st-george'd to the hilt, en-gur-lund glory like the majority, though. I also can't stand the 24hour update culture and two dozen 'live from the England camp' broadcasts that we have to have every hour.
seanworth wrote:Just like the cricket and the ashes a few years ago. How many years did you go without a victory. I could never find anyone who seemed to give a hoot about cricket anymore (Yes I realize there are some of you out there). As soon as England started showing signs of winning the competition everyone in the country loved the sport and were an expert to boot.
Yep, irritates the feck out of me, too. People beomcing 'experts' in footie or cricket just because there's something major going on - even the secretaries in work started going on about footie during the Euros and a more clueless bunch of women you could never wish to meet. All they do is parrot the buzz-words and catchphrases from the media and think they're offering intelligent input. Irritating.
seanworth wrote:if England were close to winning the World Cup the country would literally shut down.
And that would be a bad thing? It's the national sport, and I'd like to think that if the country were in the semi-finals or final of the World Cup that that would be the case - it is in large parts of the world for whichever sport flicks their switch - Melbourne Cup day in Australia, India/Pakistan cricket matches, or footie across large parts of the world. It's not my particular cup of tea, but there would be an overwhelmingly large majority of people interested in it, so yeah, why not 'shut down'. Our office closed an hour early during the world cup (I think it was) where there was an England game that kicked off at 5. That was fine by me, an hour's less work :)

I dread to think of the media wank-fest that would occur were the team to do anything of any consequence, though. *shudders*

spraggy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by spraggy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:33 pm

fed up with the same old - when will a new manager actually start with a blank page instead of picking the usual crap?

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:36 pm

Puskas wrote:
blurred wrote:
Isn't all football-support an accident of birth, though? Unless, of course, you're a glory-hunting Rags fan, you'll tend to support your local club. No particular logic or thought to it.
Although, with the global coverage of the Premier League, there may be an increase of foreign fans who pick a time for a variety of reasons - often because one of their countrymen plays for it. Which is, again, an accident of birth...
Or a glory hunting Liverpool fan eh Blurred?

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:37 pm

lean times, for them

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:40 pm

spraggy wrote:fed up with the same old - when will a new manager actually start with a blank page instead of picking the usual crap?
That would be a start. Someone was trying to make the case the other day, that we might actually be better served by picking from outside the "big 4" and those sides in UEFA. Not convinced I entirely agree, but we might see a bit more passion and fight and honour in wearing the shirt.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:40 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:Or a glory hunting Liverpool fan eh Blurred?
Aye, won shitloads in the 90s, didn't we? Mine eyes have seen the glory.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:44 pm

I finally lost patience with the national side in 2004 at the Euros. 'Pride, Passion, Belief', it said on the posters pre-tournament. It was clear that our players had none of those things. Not that it stopped them blubbing after being knocked out. So much for that stiff upper lip.

Nowadays, I view internationals as a break in the domestic programme and an irritation for that. I reckon a lot of people feel the same way. I watched the England v France game in the Rugby World Cup in the pub and when we got that late score it was pandemonium. Great atmosphere. You don't get that with the football now.

Blurred's right about the England scene being London-centric. I went to the friendly against Spain at Old Trafford not long ago, just so I could say that I'd been to an international. The place was full of cockneys.

'Go on, go through the facking cant.'

Yeah right. I had to stop myself cheering when Spain scored the winner.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:46 pm

blurred wrote:
superjohnmcginlay wrote:Or a glory hunting Liverpool fan eh Blurred?
Aye, won shitloads in the 90s, didn't we? Mine eyes have seen the glory.

So you werent a Liverpool fan in the 80s?

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:47 pm

come on blurred, these things take time

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:50 pm

warthog wrote: Blurred's right about the England scene being London-centric. I went to the friendly against Spain at Old Trafford not long ago, just so I could say that I'd been to an international. The place was full of cockneys.

'Go on, go through the facking cant.'

Yeah right. I had to stop myself cheering when Spain scored the winner.
Think it's always been a bit like that, didn't London win the World Cup in 1966?

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:52 pm

Puskas wrote:
blurred wrote:
Isn't all football-support an accident of birth, though? Unless, of course, you're a glory-hunting Rags fan, you'll tend to support your local club. No particular logic or thought to it. Although, with the global coverage of the Premier League, there may be an increase of foreign fans who pick a time for a variety of reasons - often because one of their countrymen plays for it. Which is, again, an accident of birth...
In most cases, yes it is. Obviously there's loads of reasons to support a team, but geography and family are the most prevalent ones.

The difference is you can actively choose a football team - not everyone supports the closest one to where they live or where they were born, and this isn't exactly a strictly enforced rule, otherwise everyone born at Liverpool Women's Hospital would have to be a Red and those from Fazak General might all have to be Blues. Not everyone in Bolton supports Bolton, plenty will support other sides from around the northwest - this 'accident of birth' is strictly enforced when it comes to national teams, but not club teams. This is why it's daft to say 'of course I support England, I'm English', any more than it would be enforcing a strict 'local' rule on who you support. Yes, a good proportion of people follow that rule, but it's nowhere near an absolute thing.