Diego Maradona

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:21 am

coffeymagic wrote:
Zulus Thousand of em wrote:He'll be on his fat arse within a year.

Dumpy, cheating, greaseball, scumbag, cokehead.

Not a patch on Pele either.! 8)
It's a shame that most people go for the knee jerk reaction of 'cheat' whenever they hear his cheating little name mentioned but surely you've got to see that he was without a doubt in the top 10, 5, 2 footballers of all time?

We all say he was a cheat for the 'hand of God' but how many times do we shrug our shoulders when our players do it? I remember Denis Wise punching the ball home against Isreal once - no fuss about the 'hand of tw*t'.

As for the Pele v Diego argument I'd say Diego was better. All you ever see of Pele was his misses.
Apart from your last sentence I agree. Oh, and I don't agree with your hand of god comment either :mrgreen:

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:41 am

My take on Maradona, from a 2006 TW article:
There’s a plaque outside the Azteca Stadium in Mexico City, one of the great cathedrals of football, which held the World Cup final in 1970 and 1986. It commemorates neither of those matches however. The plaque honours a famous player’s moment from the quarter-final in the latter tournament.

Said England – Argentina match from Mexico ‘86 is embedded in the mind of any Englishman, and two decades on refuses to budge. It was effectively turned by two very different but significant goals from the aforementioned famous (or infamous) player – Diego Armando Maradona. To some, he was the most talented and gifted footballer the world has ever seen; to others – and you’ll soon see where I stand - a talented and gifted footballer, and a big-headed cheat as well.

The plaque at the Azteca celebrates what many claim is the greatest World Cup goal of all time. Argentina, already one up on England thanks to Maradona’s, erm, handy intervention, then extended their lead. Maradona easily picked up the loose ball in his own half, had a clear run past off the pace England players who mistimed their tackles (Butcher and Reid, I’m looking at you) and got a deflection into the net after a speculative strike. No, you all scream, that can’t be right. He dribbled with lightning pace past the half the England squad, and finished it off perfectly and crisply. As Barry Davies said at the time, “you have to admit that was brilliant!”

To me, it wasn’t. I’ll say to this day, Maradona’s second goal against England in the 1986 quarter final wasn’t that great. It certainly doesn’t deserve a plaque. And part of the reason is the goal scorer himself.

I personally dislike footballers and sportsmen who tarnish their ability by abusing the success it’s given them. George Best pissed his talent up the wall. John McEnroe’s petulance and lack of respect was cringing to watch. Ronnie O’Sullivan never seems to appreciate his snooker opponents. I can’t respect gifts when they’re handled so badly.

Maradona was the worst. He showed no remorse for his handball in the same quarter final, his shameless, barrel-chested crowing about the “hand of God” being deeply offensive, not to mention his statement “much more than winning a match, it was about knocking out the English.” Many say he won that World Cup for Argentina single-handed, but largely went missing on the pitch in the final and stole the glory from Jorge Valdano, who got the two goals which mattered. Then came a moment that finally turned me against him; whilst strutting around with the trophy like a demented peacock, a defeated West German player came up, offered congratulations, and asked to look at the World Cup. Maradona’s eyes popped out as he screamed the player away, and turned his back on him. What a lovely man.

And then there was a paternity writ; alleged links with a Naples vice ring; and a football ban for cocaine use, which led to arrest and eventual ejection from Italy. And of course, the 1990 World Cup. His Argentina side kicked, hacked and intimidated every team they played on a very fortuitous route to the final. When Argentina lost 1-0, two of their thugs being deservedly sent off, he blubbed like a baby during the presentation, hoping his crocodile tears would get global sympathy for him the way Gazza had managed a few days previously. I laughed like a hyena at him finally getting his come-uppance, and I suspect many others did as well.

After his personal problems saw him out of the game for a couple of years, he returned, fatter than ever, in the 1994 World Cup. That’s where he ran up to the camera like a rabid dog in the 4-0 win over Greece, a display of arrogance unprecedented in international football. But after testing positive for ephedrine, he was sent home with his tail between his legs. He never played for his country again, though at each subsequent tournament was always on hand to offer pearls of wisdom every time England and Argentina met - “in my heart, I knew we would win” coming after their second round squeak-through at France ’98.

Looking like a bizarre human-whale hybrid, drugs took their toll before and after his retirement in 1997. He failed a succession of dope tests, and nearly pegged out completely in 2000 after heart complications. He suffered another severe health lapse in 2004, and was last seen seriously both trying to beat the drug problem and hosting a chat show on Argentinean TV.

In 2000 he and Pele were voted joint players of the century, but the Brazilian’s gentlemanly and sporting behaviour off the pitch really puts him streets ahead. Would Maradona have swapped shirts with an opposing captain the way Pele did with Bobby Moore in 1970? Diego would have spat at him!

Maradona, a poor advert for talent. And the greatest World Cup goal is Carlos Alberto rifling Brazil’s fourth past Italy in the 1970 final. You know I’m right.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:29 am

ratbert wrote:Maradona was the worst. He showed no remorse for his handball in the same quarter final, his shameless, barrel-chested crowing about the “hand of God” being deeply offensive, not to mention his statement “much more than winning a match, it was about knocking out the English.” Many say he won that World Cup for Argentina single-handed, but largely went missing on the pitch in the final and stole the glory from Jorge Valdano, who got the two goals which mattered. Then came a moment that finally turned me against him; whilst strutting around with the trophy like a demented peacock, a defeated West German player came up, offered congratulations, and asked to look at the World Cup. Maradona’s eyes popped out as he screamed the player away, and turned his back on him. What a lovely man.
:pray:
Businesswoman of the year.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:59 am

And that second one that everyone spunks on about was an own goal by Terry Fenwick anyhow!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:05 pm

If Peter Reid had any bollocks he would have cleaned him out thirty yards from goal. He wouldn't have gone past a South American, Spanish or Italian player like that.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:06 pm

Madonna's brilliant though I could never understand the conical bras :roll:

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:08 pm

ratbert wrote:Maradona was the worst. He showed no remorse for his handball in the same quarter final, his shameless, barrel-chested crowing about the “hand of God” being deeply offensive, not to mention his statement “much more than winning a match, it was about knocking out the English.”
Why should he show remorse?

Regardless of your own view on the Malvinas, the Argentinians weren't happy about all that as we were the enemy. It was only four or five years prior.

And like I've said previous, if Wanderers won the FA Cup with a hand-ball for Diouf, say, against West Ham, we'd all be laughing like drains.

You have to look at South American culture as well, to determine the celebration and cheek of going for such audacious cheating. In South America, there's very much a culture of playful deception... this is why many of the teams developed the skillful style of play. It's one thing to beat a man with the ball, it's another completely to nutmeg him, stop with the ball and nutmeg him again. There's a folk tale about a creature who has the sole purpose of causing mischief, who is widely loved down there... it's ingrained. It's far more interesting than the crap we all (allegedly) go for (stiff upper lip, fair play, reserved attitude).

Fact is, there's a reason why England haven't won the world cup in years... and that's because we're not ruthless enough. Something Maradona is. That's why he'll go down in the annals of footballing history and someone like Gary Lineker won't.
Viva La Portable Radio!

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:16 pm

mofgimmers wrote: Regardless of your own view on the Malvinas, the Argentinians weren't happy about all that as we were the enemy. It was only four or five years prior.
We call them the Falkland Isles. As for them not being happy - tough shit. That'll teach them to fart in church. As for Maradona's reported comments about the British "shooting the Argentinian soldiers on the Islands like little birds" well the shitehawks shouldn't have marched in in the first place.

I do agree with you though about the FA Cup scenario. And you are spot on about our lack of ruthlessness on the football field. (See my earlier comment about Peter Reid.)
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:26 pm

There have been a couple of good pieces on the BBC website recently that discuss Maradona.

Tim Vickery's blog defending Maradona:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/timvickery/2 ... d_a_c.html

And an interesting interview with Jorge Valdano, who is, apparently, something of an amateur philosopher:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7690933.stm
Valdano wrote: I wrote various articles about that goal and I stand by what I said then. Great football, to me, is the art to improvise, to find solutions, and that goal was the perfect demonstration.
Most of you think that I am pretty much amoral anyway, so it might not surprise you to learn that I don't have that much of a problem with cheating as long it's effective.

For example, I was happy for Diouf to dive when playing for us, as long as that meant he won more penalties and we were more successful. My support for his conduct would only wane if I thought referees actually gave him fewer penalties as a result.

This is not to say that I don't think everything possible should be done to catch, punish and deter cheats... I just agree with Valdano that good football is finding solutions within the system that exists. Maradona could have been sent off for what he did - he played for the highest stakes and won.

I also agree with the thrust of what Vickery is saying, which is essentially that the English have a perverse sense of certain kinds of cheating being more acceptable than others - that is to say that there's something honourable about kicking and nobbling someone out of the game, but there isn't when it comes to diving.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:29 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:
mofgimmers wrote: Regardless of your own view on the Malvinas, the Argentinians weren't happy about all that as we were the enemy. It was only four or five years prior.
We call them the Falkland Isles. As for them not being happy - tough shit. That'll teach them to fart in church. As for Maradona's reported comments about the British "shooting the Argentinian soldiers on the Islands like little birds" well the shitehawks shouldn't have marched in in the first place.

I do agree with you though about the FA Cup scenario. And you are spot on about our lack of ruthlessness on the football field. (See my earlier comment about Peter Reid.)
Regarding the Falklands/Malvinas, our opinions don't come into it. I'm getting at the fact that they as a nation saw us, as a nation, as enemies. That'll account for why Diego Armando was so chuffed at knocking us out of the world cup.
Viva La Portable Radio!

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:35 pm

mofgimmers wrote:
Zulus Thousand of em wrote:

Regarding the Falklands/Malvinas, our opinions don't come into it. I'm getting at the fact that they as a nation saw us, as a nation, as enemies. That'll account for why Diego Armando was so chuffed at knocking us out of the world cup.
Another reason why I don't like the little greasy dwarf. :D
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:40 pm

mofgimmers wrote:
ratbert wrote:Maradona was the worst. He showed no remorse for his handball in the same quarter final, his shameless, barrel-chested crowing about the “hand of God” being deeply offensive, not to mention his statement “much more than winning a match, it was about knocking out the English.”
Why should he show remorse?

Regardless of your own view on the Malvinas, the Argentinians weren't happy about all that as we were the enemy. It was only four or five years prior.

And like I've said previous, if Wanderers won the FA Cup with a hand-ball for Diouf, say, against West Ham, we'd all be laughing like drains.

You have to look at South American culture as well, to determine the celebration and cheek of going for such audacious cheating. In South America, there's very much a culture of playful deception... this is why many of the teams developed the skillful style of play. It's one thing to beat a man with the ball, it's another completely to nutmeg him, stop with the ball and nutmeg him again. There's a folk tale about a creature who has the sole purpose of causing mischief, who is widely loved down there... it's ingrained. It's far more interesting than the crap we all (allegedly) go for (stiff upper lip, fair play, reserved attitude).

Fact is, there's a reason why England haven't won the world cup in years... and that's because we're not ruthless enough. Something Maradona is. That's why he'll go down in the annals of footballing history and someone like Gary Lineker won't.
Never booked, the boring, jug-eared (and I speak from a position of attributable proximity) 2@
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:32 pm

mofgimmers wrote:There's a folk tale about a creature who has the sole purpose of causing mischief, who is widely loved down there... it's ingrained. It's far more interesting than the crap we all (allegedly) go for (stiff upper lip, fair play, reserved attitude).
Come on, Mof.

So what you're saying is that the rules of the game can go for a shite then by dint of another set of people's belief in an imaginary being? That'll explain the whole 'Hand of God' bit then.

The rules of the game are the rules of the game, globally. Das ist endgultig!
May the bridges I burn light your way

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:51 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
mofgimmers wrote:There's a folk tale about a creature who has the sole purpose of causing mischief, who is widely loved down there... it's ingrained. It's far more interesting than the crap we all (allegedly) go for (stiff upper lip, fair play, reserved attitude).
Come on, Mof.

So what you're saying is that the rules of the game can go for a shite then by dint of another set of people's belief in an imaginary being? That'll explain the whole 'Hand of God' bit then.

Come on Bruce, there's a whole host of things that one country will believe, or has as an ingrained trait while others have a different slant completely.

England have a deep belief that they are good to win win the World Cup for example, and Scots roll about in fits every time they hear it :mrgreen:

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:03 pm

"We're on the march with Ally's army." Oh dear. :roll:
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:55 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Come on, Mof.

The rules are the rules are the rules... but that doesn't change the outlook. We Brits are sticklers for the rules because we're culturally 'fair play'. Latin Americans would rather win by mischievous deception, be it a nutmeg, be it blatant cheating. They got away with it once and how they laughed. That handball was the reason they won the world cup and we didn't.
Viva La Portable Radio!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:08 pm

And the better players?

Or is it just the cheating? :conf:
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:12 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:And the better players?

Or is it just the cheating? :conf:
The Argentina side of '86 was pretty average throughout. I'd say they only had 3 really class player in Valdano, Burrunchaga (sp) and Maradona.
Viva La Portable Radio!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:25 pm

And our star players? Terry Fenwick, Peter Reid, Steve Hodge, Mark Hateley.....

I think you're suffering from English Superiority Complex. "The Foreigners all win because they cheat". Maybe they're just better at the game we gave to the world.

And how could I forget Alvin Martin. Our name was all over that cup 'til that handball :?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:40 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:"We're on the march with Ally's army." Oh dear. :roll:
Hey, just the once we let our Kevin Keegan get the better of us :mrgreen: :mrgreen: