Is Sam Allardyce entitled to a little more respect

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:13 am

NO, deserves all the bad press he gets!
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Luna
Promising
Promising

Post by Luna » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:27 pm

Am I right in thinking all this anger towards Sam is because of him saying he wanted a break and them pretty much immediately taking the Newcastle job?

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:20 am

Pretty much!
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

potter1989bwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by potter1989bwfc » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:48 am

Luna wrote:Am I right in thinking all this anger towards Sam is because of him saying he wanted a break and them pretty much immediately taking the Newcastle job?
Yes and joining Blackburn as well..

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:59 am

potter1989bwfc wrote:
Luna wrote:Am I right in thinking all this anger towards Sam is because of him saying he wanted a break and them pretty much immediately taking the Newcastle job?
Yes and joining Blackburn as well..
A lot of people seem to think Big Sam owes us something as well. Not sure what exactly that is. There seems to be no loyalty in football anymore, and one might as well accept that.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:10 am

The best way to overcome the Sam myth is by going out and tanking Blackburn. He was our manager, did well, isn't anymore and thus we owe each other nothing. He's just another manager now. History.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:37 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:12 pm

His record demands respect. It didn't work out at Newcastle, but neither did it for the Messiah and nor is it doing for Joke Kinnear.

I'd like him to fully rehabilitate his reputation if only he weren't at our local rivals. Because when it comes down to it, love for my club (and its close relation, dislike for our rivals) outweighs my feelings for any employee, past or present.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:19 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:His record demands respect. It didn't work out at Newcastle, but neither did it for the Messiah and nor is it doing for Joke Kinnear.

I'd like him to fully rehabilitate his reputation if only he weren't at our local rivals. Because when it comes down to it, love for my club (and its close relation, dislike for our rivals) outweighs my feelings for any employee, past or present.
Did it not? People always talk about his time at Newcastle as a failure, but since they sacked him they have only gone downhill, and haven't got close to getting back where he left them. I wouldn't call it a resounding success either but personally his main mistake was to not be Mike Ashley's man.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:37 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:His record demands respect. It didn't work out at Newcastle, but neither did it for the Messiah and nor is it doing for Joke Kinnear.

Did it not? People always talk about his time at Newcastle as a failure, but since they sacked him they have only gone downhill, and haven't got close to getting back where he left them. I wouldn't call it a resounding success either but personally his main mistake was to not be Mike Ashley's man.
Quite. Sort of what I meant. He was never popular there, but compared to the faultless Keegan, his stats aren't too bad. And he loves his stats, our Sam.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:40 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Quite. Sort of what I meant. He was never popular there, but compared to the faultless Keegan, his stats aren't too bad. And he loves his stats, our Sam.
Indiddlydeed, wasnt particularly picking up your 'it didn't work out' because, well, it didn't. However, this idea that he utterly failed is a fair bit wide of the mark IMO.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

wovlad
Promising
Promising
Location: Underneath the squeaky floorboard, behind the kitchen dresser

Post by wovlad » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:01 pm

Big Sam was great manager for us, ahead of the late great Ian Greaves. Was'nt happy about what happened when he left but as has already been posted on here, there's no loyalty in football anymore.

I'd have prefered him getting the Sunderland job.
If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England

Juewanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Juewanderer » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:20 pm

Apparently Sam's still regretting the England job rejection:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009 ... rs-england

Relaxed at Rovers but still regretting England's rejection

Sam Allardyce is a man in a hurry but still can't resist looking back at what may have been

Sam Allardyce believes he should have been given the England job in 2006.

Sam Allardyce is supposed to be in a hurry. He has 30 minutes to devour a bowl of soup, meet several corporate sponsors and conduct an interview before leaving Blackburn Rovers' training ground for a dental appointment, yet still he finds time to wax lyrical about the performance he witnessed from Paul Scholes against Fulham the night before. Talent lost to the England national team never fails to strike a chord with the Rovers' manager.

It is almost three years since Allardyce sat before Brian Barwick, Dave Richards and Noel White and attempted to convince the Football Association's international selection committee that he should replace Sven-Goran Eriksson as England manager. Their rejection hurts to this day. The belief that he is the right man for the job – even after Steve McClaren's reign was brought to a mercifully swift end and despite Allardyce's own ill-fated tenure at Newcastle United – is also unwavering.

Allardyce is now two months into the challenge of preserving Blackburn's top-flight status having replaced Paul Ince with Rovers 19th in the table and five points adrift of safety. The relegation zone remains their residence, and they face top-of-the-table Manchester United at Old Trafford this evening, but one defeat in 11 games under the 54-year-old has revived confidence and spirit at Ewood Park. Survival is now achievable rather than an aspiration. Regardless of what he achieves at Blackburn, however, Allardyce knows his days as an England contender are over, although he will not go quietly.

"It wouldn't be mentioned at all now would it, Sam Allardyce for the England job?" says the man himself. "But at the time I should have got it and I really don't know why I didn't. It had to be political for me, rather than my credentials.

"Maybe my external look isn't to everybody's liking and one or two people seem to dislike Sam Allardyce for whatever reason. But as a person, in terms of knowing what he is doing, where to go and how to get there, and helping players do the same, I have the credentials. It was the right time and the right job for me but not from the FA's point of view. It is a political FA board and a real shame in terms of my life. That job doesn't come around too often."

Allardyce has never hidden his longing for the England job but the insistence that he remains perfectly suited for the position, even after his sacking from Newcastle and Fabio Capello's encouraging start, suggests a flame-resistant exterior.

"I am probably even better equipped to do the job now but would never get a mention," he adds. "I never got a mention when Steve went, they just went straight for another foreigner. It seems foreign coaches are still all the craze for the top jobs and that is a great shame. I also think that Steve not being successful was a massive blow for British or English managers, because it has put us down a peg or two. I thought I was really equipped, well-versed and ready to make England as successful as they really wanted to be. More importantly, I thought I would have had the squad and the players to do that, but somewhere along the line they thought it wasn't for me."

September 2006, when Panorama's documentary on Football's Dirty Secrets aired a month after McClaren's appointment, was arguably the precise point when Allardyce's international hopes disappeared. The BBC and the subject remain off-limits for the Blackburn manager, who also denied Lord Stevens' claims of a "conflict of interest" in transfer dealings involving Allardyce's son, Craig, while at Bolton, but his belief that the allegations removed him from the England equation is clear.

He ventures: "I think they [the FA] went safe, but I don't quite know why they did that. I couldn't have given them any more about the way forward than I did. From all accounts that thoroughly impressed them so it couldn't have been my credentials. It must have been something political. Perhaps the people on the board are influenced by outside factors too much, because of the pressure they are under from the media. Maybe that affects them somewhat when they should be making cold, clinical decisions on who is the best. It was a great run for me right up to a big disappointment at the end."

Allardyce, rather like Brian Clough before him, appears destined to take his theories for his England rejection to the grave, although that rollercoaster spell when he first interviewed for the FA, walked away from Bolton and then found himself unemployed after only 21 league matches in charge of Newcastle, has not left him consumed with regret.

"I really relaxed and enjoyed myself for many of those months," he says of the 11-month period between leaving St James' Park and returning at Ewood. "Not having to constantly make decisions on a day-to-day basis, even in the summer or on holiday, was nice.

"Waking up in the morning was not about who wants what or how do I sort this problem out, it was about do I want porridge or toast for breakfast. Once we'd decided that, it was then what to have for lunch. Should we jump on a plane to Dubai or should we go to Portugal? Just doing what me and my wife wanted was very important and it showed me there is a life after football. I wasn't quite sure there was one before."

The FA may have overlooked him, but the former Limerick, Blackpool, Notts County, Bolton and Newcastle manager was approached by several businessmen during his sabbatical as they considered investing in the game. Allardyce reveals: "I was asked by a consortium about the prospects of Leeds United as a football club, and not just Leeds United, there was a few other clubs. They wanted an expert opinion from the football angle and how the club was and how it could develop on that side. I was offering an expert opinion for potential buyers but I wasn't involved in any of the buying."

His investment is now firmly in Blackburn, despite having withdrawn from the interview process to replace Mark Hughes last summer and being invited back just six months later when the bold appointment of Ince from MK Dons backfired. As a vocal advocate for the advancement of British managers, one might expect Allardyce to welcome the opportunities that were presented to the likes of his predecessor and Tony Adams this season. Not quite.

"I am really pleased to see any British manager but these are British managers with a big football name who have been getting the opportunity," he says. "No disrespect to them, but a lot of it is based on their achievements in playing football rather than the longevity or success they have gained as a manager. That is one of the key areas that should be looked at a little bit more.

"This league will find anybody out, not just players but coaches and managers. You do need longevity and the experience of making mistakes in the lower divisions, as you can see from most of the foreign managers or the likes of myself who have made it to the top. I think there are some great managers in the Championship, in League One and League Two, who deserve the opportunity to manage in the Premier League and I hope they get the chance. But, in general, to do that you've got to promote your own club there."

Blackburn now have at the helm, Allardyce hopes, "a better man and a better manager" for his experience with Newcastle and his disappointment with England. Gone are his plans to retire at 55, originally envisaged when he was on a 10-year contract at Bolton and long before he took the "massive, massive decision to leave based on the lack of ambition from that club in terms of wanting to finish in the top four. Or to push on and be better than what we were."

Allardyce is, in many respects, starting all over again with Rovers. "There is a big challenge," he admits. "I always thought the players were good enough but lacking a bit of leadership and we are trying to put that right every single day, every single week and every single game." And with exactly 30 minutes to spare, he leaves for the dentist's chair.
Never give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:19 pm

Alien3 wrote:
Blackburn now have at the helm, Allardyce hopes, "a better man and a better manager" for his experience with Newcastle and his disappointment with England. Gone are his plans to retire at 55, originally envisaged when he was on a 10-year contract at Bolton and long before he took the "massive, massive decision to leave based on the lack of ambition from that club in terms of wanting to finish in the top four. Or to push on and be better than what we were."
I'll quote it so we can all pick over it.

That January window, our squad players had just thumped Donny Rovers, we were 3rd in the league (IIRC) and we were a player, possibly two, short of pushing on. What happened?

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:24 am

Blackburn gave United quite a fright yesterday and that's down to Sam giving the team some bite. They looked up for the game and could have got a least a draw. So Sam is doing something right with them, but its early days and the bubble may burst soon, just look at Brown at Hull.

I have to admit that he is a good coach and can motivate his team as long as he is motivated himself and he did do well for us for a time. But he's an arrogant prick whos' head got much to big for him over the England job, and still is by the sound of it, and he lost motivation and interest in Bolton long before he left us. I also didn't like the way that he left us, so taking all that into acount that's why I don't like him, and he deserves all the bad prese that he gets.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:36 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Alien3 wrote:
I'll quote it so we can all pick over it.

That January window, our squad players had just thumped Donny Rovers, we were 3rd in the league (IIRC) and we were a player, possibly two, short of pushing on. What happened?
Allardyce couldn't be arsed anymore!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:39 am

The posted Allardyce article sums him up.

He should be re-named "Sam Chip-on-shoulder Allardyce".

Fooks sake has a man ever been so bitter over not getting a "big job".

Perhaps he should look at his record vs Capello's to understand why he wasn't given the chance. Then he should look at why he lost interest in us and perhaps if he'd been sensible and kept plugging away here he might have gained more recognition. Moving to Newcastle and failing has killed any chances he had of getting a "big job".

His fault, nobody elses!

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:06 pm

It amazes me that he not only has a huge blindspot regarding his own image, but he consistently shows an inability to gain an understanding in every interview he gives.

To Sam:

You have proved you are decent football manager, but you appear limited tactically, you play a the same direct way each game that is not pleasing on the eye and people rightly or wrongly take that to mean you are a manager who would play a boring and unentertaining style of football with England, and one that would not succeed at the very highest level. You have failed at Newcastle, where despite having some top quality players you played in your standard direct way, leaving them on a bad run in lower mid table, which adds more weight to the general negative public opinion of your management. Moreover, the use of your son in some shady transfer deals, that have since involved out of court settlements, would make anybody worried about making you one of the leading football figures in this country, however naive and innocent you were (we still haven't seen your legal challenge in response to the BBC have we?). In short - Get over it!

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:51 pm

But some things never change in the FA Cup 5th Round replay.

Coventry 1-0 Blackburn

".... Manager Sam Allardyce made 11 changes from the team that lost 2-1 in the league at Manchester United on Saturday, with the Cup not a priority for the Rovers boss. ..."

Sound familiar???

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 899644.stm

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:10 am

Will knock the inbreds confidence after their 'great' performance despite being defeated against manure.