What? No thread about the league leaders? Shocking

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:58 pm

Personally it pisses me off because yet again the distance between us and the bottom three is down to five points again.

Benitez is the reverse of Martin O'Neill. His success in Europe will excuse the shit they serve up in the league.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:16 pm

They think it's all over

It is now

Sto ut Serviam

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:43 am

Pool were very poor against Borough yesterday, even though they missed some open goals their general play was very low key and lack any energy or enthusiasm. Their defense was worse than Bolton's at times and gave away two goals to very poor marking that we would have been fuming at if it had been our defense.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:48 pm

there's not enough giddy in the world

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:59 pm

Torres was magnificent against United today, truly one of the best strikers in the world at the moment.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:59 pm

Vidic must have been at the same bar as Andy O'Brien last night.

Anyway, good result all round I think. United get twatted. Liverpool still aren't going to come anywhere near winning the league.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:11 pm

Tombwfc wrote:Anyway, good result all round I think. United get twatted. Liverpool still aren't going to come anywhere near winning the league.
Indeed, which is a great shame.

This league, whilst being the "Best league in the world (tm)" is also becoming the "most boring league in the world". I'm even losing interest in the relegation battle. I'm far more into the "battle for mediocrity; justify your existence" positions now.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:34 am

Some highly amusing points from yesterday's game

1. United getting stuffed
2. The fans who had taken placards mocking Rafa and Liverpool looked a bit silly.
3. The huge number of empty seats well before the final whistle.
4. Fergie's comments : "I thought we were the better team, but the score doesn't reflect that."

Benitez is still a prick though.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:30 pm

warthog wrote:Some highly amusing points from yesterday's game

2. The fans who had taken placards mocking Rafa and Liverpool looked a bit silly.
4. Fergie's comments : "I thought we were the better team, but the score doesn't reflect that."

Aside from laughing at most of the other points too Warty, this one struck me as being particularly funny whilst I was watching on MotD last night.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Can we really take the piss out of empty seats? :?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:50 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
warthog wrote:Some highly amusing points from yesterday's game

Aside from laughing at most of the other points too Warty, this one struck me as being particularly funny whilst I was watching on MotD last night.
But, surely they'd have missed Dosenna's brilliant fourth?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:53 pm

FD wrote:Can we really take the piss out of empty seats? :?
Yes - everyone takes the piss out of ours :-) what goes around, comes around (albeit not often enough) :mrgreen:

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:36 am

What were the armbands about this fooking time?

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:55 am

Their club secretary had a heart attack and died.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:30 pm

Just watched the Liverpool game and they didn't play well but won 5-0. Sounds strange but true! Luck and the Ref was on their side and their finishing was top class, but Villa outplayed them for much of the game, before Friedal was unnecessarily sent off. Even Benitez said after the game that they didn't play particularly well. So how did they win 5-0 you say, well these are all my own views of course :-

Goal 1. Gerrard freekick deflected past Friedal onto bar by Alonso, don't think that he knew too much about it, falls direct to Kuyt who finished with an excellent first time volley; (Luck + finishing)
Goal 2. The perfect long ball goal, Reina long ball clearance bounces once and a superb first time volley by Riera; (Luck + finishing)
Goal 3. Very soft penalty for minimal contact and an excellent finish by Gerrard; (Ref/luck + finish)
Goal 4. Dubeous freekick and an excellent Gerrard finish; (Ref/luck + finish)
Goal 5. Dubeous penalty, Friedal holds his ground and Torres falls over him, Friedal sent off and an excellent Gerrard finish (again Ref/luck + finish)

For most of the first half Villa played an open attacking game putting loads of pressure on Liverpool but found themselves 3-0 down. Even at 4-0 down they were holding their own in open play but after the totally unnecessary sending off of Friedal Villa lost their way and the game just fizzled out.

This game showed that if you play an attacking open game against Liverpool you can easily get thrashed as their breakaway play is fast and their finishing is excellent, and particularly at Anfield were they get more than their fair share of referee generosity. Liverpool are a good team but not 5-0 better than Villa.

But who can bet against them after thrashing Real Madrid, United and now Villa in a row scoring a total of 13 goals and letting 1 goal in. They have a very easy (for them) run in and must be a very real threat to United for the Premiership. Good luck to them I say as it would be good to get a new name on the trophy.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:01 pm

think liverpool fans will look back at certain dropped points this season and curse themselves at the end

fair play to them for making it remotely interesting again

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:08 pm

Athers wrote:Their club secretary had a heart attack and died.
He must have seen Stevie G's new contract.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:52 pm

FaninOz wrote:Villa outplayed them for much of the game
Can I have a pint of what you're drinking, please? Villa outplayed us? Jesus Christ.
FaninOz wrote:before Friedal was unnecessarily sent off
It was absolutely the correct decision. Harsh on him, as he did his best not to foul Torres, but he did, so he had to go.
FaninOz wrote:Even Benitez said after the game that they didn't play particularly well.
He said we could have scored a couple more. There's a difference.

I'll agree the penalty was soft, though. Said as much at the time.
FaninOz wrote:For most of the first half Villa played an open attacking game putting loads of pressure on Liverpool but found themselves 3-0 down. Even at 4-0 down they were holding their own in open play but after the totally unnecessary sending off of Friedal Villa lost their way and the game just fizzled out.
'loads of pressure on Liverpool'? Seriously, I think you should get your eyes tested. I know that they say there's lies, damned lies and statistics, but let's just have a look here

Total shots for Villa, 7. 3 off target and 1 of which was blocked. So 3 saves for Reina, then, one of which was a tame header from Heskey in the 2nd half. He made two good saves in the first half, mind, from a Carew flick and a Carew header. 2 decent efforts on target is definitely 'loads of pressure'.

Shots for Liverpool? 19.
FaninOz wrote:This game showed that if you play an attacking open game against Liverpool you can easily get thrashed as their breakaway play is fast and their finishing is excellent, and particularly at Anfield were they get more than their fair share of referee generosity. Liverpool are a good team but not 5-0 better than Villa.

But who can bet against them after thrashing Real Madrid, United and now Villa in a row scoring a total of 13 goals and letting 1 goal in. They have a very easy (for them) run in and must be a very real threat to United for the Premiership. Good luck to them I say as it would be good to get a new name on the trophy.
I think it shows that if you play a poor midget midfielder at right back he can get isolated, and torn a new arsehole by a decent left-midfielder. I think it shows that when you try to play 2 up front and leave 2 players to try and cope with Alonso, Mascherano and Gerrard in the centre that you're going to get overrun completely. United were overrun at Old Trafford in the middle of the park, so not sure what Villa were hoping to achieve at Anfield by going in with the 4-4-2. Hopefully they'll learn before they go to United and pack a bit of pace in there with the one up front. Who knows.

Yes, the pen was soft, but I can't complain about anything else on either side's behalf, to be honest. That 'iffy' free-kick? Behave, Kuyt was fouled. If Friedel was the goalkeeper that everyone else seems to believe him to be then he'd never have been beaten by a pass from Gerrard into the only space available inside the post, when he's stood less than 2 yards away from it when the kick was taken.

As for the Prem? We still need United to drop points in games. I said after we beat them that if we won all our remaining 9 games that we'd win the league, and I'll stand by that. I don't actually think we'll win all of them, but I'm pretty sure that United were going to drop some points along the way, sufficient that if we got 27 points from that point that we'd've topped the league. Still, at least it's vaguely interesting to be involved in a title-chase going into April. Hopefully Villa will be able to do us a favour in two weeks, after plenty of time off and time to prepare, against a United side lacking Vidic, Rooney and Scholes (and perhaps the odd knock picked up from the internationals, touch wood).

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:01 pm

I watched the game and thought Liverpool tonked Villa. Pretty much for 90-odd minutes solid.
Viva La Portable Radio!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:13 pm

i mean, blurred, you're very welcome here, as far as I'm concerned, but do you ever post anything on a liverpool forum?

i mean no hostility here, it's understandable you'd seek out friendly and intelligent conversation, but just curious... :wink: