Leigh RMI are no more...

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:36 pm

mofgimmers wrote:I don't know how I managed to miss this thread. I'm absolutely gutted that Horwich RMI FC are no more. I played for their youth team and got a run out for the firsts for 10 minutes when I was 15 (I was clogged to fcuk by some gits from Goole).

As I'm a Horwich lad, it was sad to see the team up sticks in the first place, then to change the name... that was a gutter... but that said, now Leigh have dropped the RMI bit, I can stop looking for their results as they've got nothing to do with my affections anymore.
Really mof ? ex-Horwicher myself.

How many years ago was that ? I did in a season when they went bust & all the contract players cleared off, quicksticks. A few local"OK, but not THAT good" types like me were invited to play a while. Great experience, but completely out of my level.

They got their act together that season & signed a good lot of players and they went on to win the FA Trophy the following year.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:41 pm

http://www.wigantoday.net/wigannews/Bos ... 4649335.jp

forgot to add this.

Another chairman who talks big & acts small in my view. Not before ripping up 99 years of history. Tosser !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:55 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
mofgimmers wrote:I don't know how I managed to miss this thread. I'm absolutely gutted that Horwich RMI FC are no more. I played for their youth team and got a run out for the firsts for 10 minutes when I was 15 (I was clogged to fcuk by some gits from Goole).

As I'm a Horwich lad, it was sad to see the team up sticks in the first place, then to change the name... that was a gutter... but that said, now Leigh have dropped the RMI bit, I can stop looking for their results as they've got nothing to do with my affections anymore.
Really mof ? ex-Horwicher myself.

How many years ago was that ? I did in a season when they went bust & all the contract players cleared off, quicksticks. A few local"OK, but not THAT good" types like me were invited to play a while. Great experience, but completely out of my level.

They got their act together that season & signed a good lot of players and they went on to win the FA Trophy the following year.
I reckon it would have been around 94/95, something like that. I'm 30 this week, so if you're around my age, I'll invariably know you (or, for the sake of a joke, invariably be related to you).
Viva La Portable Radio!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:17 pm

not exactly 30 ... I wish.

No, my games for t'RMI were when you were 1, maybe 2 years old. If you were playing for them then you'd have to admit your career went backward a bit.

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:21 pm

bobo the clown wrote:not exactly 30 ... I wish.

No, my games for t'RMI were when you were 1, maybe 2 years old. If you were playing for them then you'd have to admit your career went backward a bit.
Hahaha! Well, it was the pinnacle of a career that only included playing for school and Horwich St Mary's (despite not being a Catholic, and thereby making me something of a Mo Johnston figure I'd like to think, even though it's clearly wrong).
Viva La Portable Radio!

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:10 pm

bobo the clown wrote:http://www.wigantoday.net/wigannews/Bos ... 4649335.jp

forgot to add this.

Another chairman who talks big & acts small in my view. Not before ripping up 99 years of history. Tosser !!
If you found out exactly how much it had cost him in offsetting the failure of the new stadium being ready, then you certainly wouldn't be thinking of any 'small acts', believe me.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:14 pm

Leyther_Matt wrote:

forgot to add this.

If you found out exactly how much it had cost him in offsetting the failure of the new stadium being ready, then you certainly wouldn't be thinking of any 'small acts', believe me.
Well, the club who in 1999-2000 won the Northern Premier League and the following year were 5th in the Conference have managed to drop out of the Unibond Premiership in 2008-9.

I can't quite work out how low a level they will now be playing at in the Unibord North ... if they survive at all ... next year. Maybe 5th in the Conference was punching over their weight, but jeez, next year will be barely above Subbuteo level.

Having lost in March at home ( wherever that is having cocked his plans & costs up so badly ??) to Nantwich 8-0 I suppose it's as well.

That's some fall & if this guy was anywhere near as big an operator as he was a talker they'd surely not be in this state.

He did me a favour though, as once I'd have really cared, his actions last summer meant that, pity as it all is, I'm far less bothered.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:35 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Leyther_Matt wrote:

forgot to add this.

Well, the club who in 1999-2000 won the Northern Premier League and the following year were 5th in the Conference have managed to drop out of the Unibond Premiership in 2008-9.

I can't quite work out how low a level they will now be playing at in the Unibord North ... if they survive at all ... next year. Maybe 5th in the Conference was punching over their weight, but jeez, next year will be barely above Subbuteo level.

Having lost in March at home ( wherever that is having cocked his plans & costs up so badly ??) to Nantwich 8-0 I suppose it's as well.

That's some fall & if this guy was anywhere near as big an operator as he was a talker they'd surely not be in this state.

He did me a favour though, as once I'd have really cared, his actions last summer meant that, pity as it all is, I'm far less bothered.
Before we start throwing stones we should remember that for similar financial reasons (or sheer lack of money) our beloved Wanderers went from the First Division in 1979/80 to the 4th Division at the end of season 1986/87 a 4 division drop in seven seasons. So it can happen to anyone if the financial situation works against you. We climed back to the top at the end of the 1994/95 season, a further 8 years. Perhaps it took that ignomy of dropping to the 4th Division for the first time to kick start the revival that has led to our current situation

So if Leigh have got their financial act together now, can keep playing at the new stadium and the people of Leigh keep the faith and give them their support, then Leigh Genesis could also rise like a phoenix from the ashes and climb back to the Conference in a similar time frame. For one, as a Leigh lad, I hope that they do.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:35 pm

Did they not work out how much it'd cost to steward the games before they started building the thing?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:27 pm

Tombwfc wrote:Did they not work out how much it'd cost to steward the games before they started building the thing?
Probably, then they were told afterwards that they'd have to foot half of the stewarding costs of the Rugby too. Centurions get probably 10 times the attendance of Genesis

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:16 pm

FaninOz wrote:Before we start throwing stones we should remember that for similar financial reasons (or sheer lack of money) our beloved Wanderers went from the First Division in 1979/80 to the 4th Division at the end of season 1986/87 a 4 division drop in seven seasons.
OK, I've remembered it ... can I start chucking the stones now ??

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:54 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:Did they not work out how much it'd cost to steward the games before they started building the thing?
Probably, then they were told afterwards that they'd have to foot half of the stewarding costs of the Rugby too. Centurions get probably 10 times the attendance of Genesis
Just what did he think he'd have to pay to use a state of the art stadium

Anyway, if its not been mentioned, theres a 'new' Horwich RMI knocking about
Sto ut Serviam

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:49 pm

A fine last day 2-1 away win over high flying Hednesford Town has shown what quality Leigh actually have so if they can keep their players, manager and stadium they should start their fight back to the top with promotion next season. Its a pity the stadium issue wasn't sorted out much earlier as they wouldn't have got relagated if that had happened.

Hopefully all will go well for them in the closed season and from now on.

Best wishes also to the new Horwich RMI, good to see that the name is back in use, what league are they in??
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:04 pm

Sto ut Serviam

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:11 pm

FaninOz wrote:A fine last day 2-1 away win over high flying Hednesford Town has shown what quality Leigh actually have so if they can keep their players, manager and stadium they should start their fight back to the top with promotion next season. Its a pity the stadium issue wasn't sorted out much earlier as they wouldn't have got relagated if that had happened.

Hopefully all will go well for them in the closed season and from now on.

Best wishes also to the new Horwich RMI, good to see that the name is back in use, what league are they in??
Top notch performance on Saturday - form table for the last 8 games would have us in an automatic promotion spot IIRC!

Been getting double the crowds at the LSV than in the later years at Hilton Park so, providing we keep the team together next season, I'm certainly optimistic. We'll be in UniBond One North, so the same league as Chorley, Radcliffe etc.

youngmc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by youngmc » Sat May 02, 2009 11:25 am

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/209 ... eir_roots/

Check this out they are moving to Hilton Ave in Horwich from next year. I bet we get more on than Leigh even better lets get them in the cup.
CHOO CHOO CHOOCHOO TRAIN!

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Sat May 02, 2009 11:39 am

Good luck to them, seemingly a long way off mind. Ex-pupils of a school in Blackburn (QEGS) are top of their league!
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Sat May 02, 2009 10:20 pm

youngmc wrote:http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/209 ... eir_roots/

Check this out they are moving to Hilton Ave in Horwich from next year. I bet we get more on than Leigh even better lets get them in the cup.
Genuine question, but which cup do you think that would be?

And if Horwich beat our average, then good luck to them, but I really can't see them getting even halfway there, at best.

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Sat May 02, 2009 11:41 pm

I'm really pleased RMI are back in existence. I hope they develop into another decent little non-league team! That'd do me!
Viva La Portable Radio!

youngmc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by youngmc » Sun May 03, 2009 11:04 pm

I was out in Horwich last night and chating to an ex board menber of RMI, he tells me it was the sale of Grundy Hill ( ex RMI ground) which kept Leigh in existence,they had 4 weeks before they went into admin and RMI paid 350k off there debts and pumped 750k into the club, that is how they managed to get to 5th place in the 5th division of English football, it was the people of Leigh who would not turn out in force or local businesses to back them when there club was doing so well ! turned out a bad thing that RMI connection Leigher Matt ! so i bet £750 K 12 years ago is like £2.0m now, you need to sort out your history of your club before you slag of RMI.
CHOO CHOO CHOOCHOO TRAIN!