BYE BYE RONALDO!

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:59 pm

Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
blurred wrote: Disagree completely.
All depends who they buy doesn't it?

*Head explodes* That's a pretty big about turn innit? Davo.....16million.....noooo. :D
Aye because the similarities between Man Utd selling Ronaldo for 80M and us potentially selling Davies for a bid we haven't received and never will are striking?

:?
I didn't realise hypothetical situations had to become actuality before we discussed them. This place is gonna get quiet this summer!

Hmmmm but you're right, no similarities. Club sells best and irreplaceable player in the hope they can strengthen overall with the cash.
Right.

First off, Man Utd don't exactly have a bad side even without Ronaldo do they?

They also have a much higher chance of attracting suitable talent there than we do. Biggest club in the world yadda yadda...

Additionally Davies hasn't been whinging and sulking and demanding moves for a year like Ronaldo. If he had then we would ultimately have little choice!

Village_Idiot2
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Village_Idiot2 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:04 pm

Wow 96 million euro, I knew they would get him eventually but never thought they would pay so much. Madness.

Really, I can't believe it, 96 million. That's probably more than the entire budget of any Spanish football team outside the top 2.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Right.

They also have a much higher chance of attracting suitable talent there than we do. Biggest club in the world yadda yadda...

Additionally Davies hasn't been whinging and sulking and demanding moves for a year like Ronaldo. If he had then we would ultimately have little choice!
Well United finished four points ahead of second, and we seven points ahead of 18th, so their margin for failure is smaller. And I'm not sure how they have a higher chance of attracting suitable talent, not unless world class players are the only suitable talent for us.

Anyways, your argument regarding Davo was we couldn't get anyone better so no sale at any price. Well United can't get anyone better at any fecking price since Messi ain't going anywhere, and after that, there IS no-one better, so how is it OK for them to sell?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:15 pm

blurred wrote:
hoboh2o wrote:If anything I think LFC will find themselves under new ownership sooner rather than later and hopefully with cash to compete with the ohters, 1 or 2 horse races are boring, I wouldn't like to sit through many games like England's last night it just did nowt for excitement levels, ok as a one off I suppose.
Much as I'd like to see the yanks gone and a decent owner come in in their place, I can't see them shifting any time soon unless someone coughs up a daft amount of cash for us (unlikely). They've got us on the cheap, for them, and there's a huge potential profit there. The club can generate the income to cover the loans, so I can't see RBS or Wachovia forcing them to pay up, they'll keep renegotiating and earning the banks double digit millions in income each year. Banks want all the cash they can get at the moment, so in their eyes the Americans are good business to them; certainly better than owning LFC and trying to find a new owner, anyway.
Gillett has put the Montreal Canadiens up for sale for $500,000.00. He needs the cash to pay his share of loans in re Liverpool FC, and possibly to take a controlling interest in the club. He has received an offer of $450,000.00 (indeed two such offers including one from the Molson brothers, former owners).
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

eddybwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by eddybwfc » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:17 pm

80 Million is a joke, all the money in football now is a joke.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.”

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:20 pm

Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Right.

Well United finished four points ahead of second, and we seven points ahead of 18th, so their margin for failure is smaller. And I'm not sure how they have a higher chance of attracting suitable talent, not unless world class players are the only suitable talent for us.

Anyways, your argument regarding Davo was we couldn't get anyone better so no sale at any price. Well United can't get anyone better at any fecking price since Messi ain't going anywhere, and after that, there IS no-one better, so how is it OK for them to sell?
United could sign 3 players that overall make them stronger as a team.

My opinion is we could get 80M for Davies but would struggle to make ourselves significantly better in the current enviornment where for us signing quality players seems to be getting harder and harder and not on the whole because we can't afford them.

But again you're missing that they are ONLY selling Ronaldo because he wants to go. If he said he wanted to stay the inference is they wouldn't have accepted the bid!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:23 pm

eddybwfc wrote:80 Million is a joke, all the money in football now is a joke.
Aye, I walked into a library the other day and asked for £80 million. The librarian said "f*ck off, you won't bring it back"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Right.

My opinion is we could get 80M for Davies but would struggle to make ourselves significantly better in the current enviornment where for us signing quality players seems to be getting harder and harder and not on the whole because we can't afford them.

But again you're missing that they are ONLY selling Ronaldo because he wants to go. If he said he wanted to stay the inference is they wouldn't have accepted the bid!
Aye but you were saying it's good for them and they'll improve. Doesn't matter why he's going.

And honestly 80m wouldn't improve us?! If you honestly believe that then fair enough, and I hope that all works out well for ya, but there's no point carrying on wor lil' debatey.

eddybwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by eddybwfc » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:26 pm

There is more chance that gary megson get sacked by gartside than getting 80 mil for davies!
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.”

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:30 pm

Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Right.

Aye but you were saying it's good for them and they'll improve. Doesn't matter why he's going.
And honestly 80m wouldn't improve us?! If you honestly believe that then fair enough, and I hope that all works out well for ya, but there's no point carrying on wor lil' debatey.
Where did I say that? In an ideal world for them they'd obviously keep him but they can't because he wants to go.

So then they take the best money they can get and hope they can improve the team using said money.

IF they buy well they may be better off. Certainly compared to keeping a sulky Ronaldo.

They don't have the smallest premiership squad and they don't have an issue of trying to attract players there.

Its more analogous to us selling Anelka than anything else.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:38 pm

blurred wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:All any of this actually proves is that money is power. 80 million is a totally ridiculous figure to pay for a footballer and just shows that, if money appears on the scene, footballers will follow the yellow brick road regardless of all else. This comes across more-so reading how agents claim so-and-so has always wanted to play in the Premiership because of how good a player he is blah,blah.
Real Madrid are the biggest club in the world, bar none. Following the money perhaps, but anyone who passes up a chance to play for them must need their head testing. Jermaine Pennant is a prime example.
TANGODANCER wrote:City, at best a top ten side, are suddenly attracting top players purely because the place is a gold mine.
Top players? Really? They picked up a mercenary disaffected Brazilian international, true enough, but he's not on anyone's list of absolutely top players in the game, is he? They failed in a pursuit for Kaka, who is a genuine belter of a player, and ended up with Craig Bellamy. Gareth Barry (a good pro, solid Premiership player, England international) has gone there, but he's hardly a Gerrard or a Xavi or an Iniesta, is he? City are picking up decent enough players, but they're hardly snapping up Galacticos left, right and centre.
TANGODANCER wrote:The same people who have always wanted etc, would leave at the drop of a hat if a better deal came along. Nobody can blame anyone else for the opportunity to become an overnight millionaire, but it's a sad reflection on what was once a sport of loyalty, pride and identity with your home area.

One day, maybe, somebody will redress the whole situation re sport.....maybe.
I think those days went out long, long ago Tango, and certainly nothing to do with the Premiership or the 'modern' era. Charlie Mitten was booted out of United for going and playing a summer's football in South America back in the 1950s, and once the maximum wage was abolished with it went most semblance of 'loyalty' for a lot of players. Some remained loyal and local, true, but then some still do - Terry, Carragher, Neville...

Perhaps we as fans need to adjust our ideas of loyalty, pride and identity? How many different companies have people on here worked for? How many times have you moved because you wanted more money, better conditions, better prestige, a better role or simply because you'd got bored where you were? Why should it be any different for footballers, in a distinctly shortened career?

Anyway, just a few questions from the resident devil's advocate ;)
You really can't see beyond the end of the Albert Dock, can you mate? :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:38 pm

The way I look at this is;

1 world class player = 3 there or there bouts players that United can attract,

1 injury or strop or loss of form = 2 very good players still playing.

Red nose knows what he doing.

Anyone else heard the rumour that MCFC are trying to hijack the deal for £125 mill??? :shock:

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:39 pm

Arsenal haven't been anywhere near the same side since they sold Henry and it will be the same for United. Ronaldo is one of a kind and will be impossible to replace by one player.

I'm in the United are in trouble camp and I expect that most of that money will go on debt repayment, I doubt that United will spend more than 30mil this summer.

But I'm sad tonight, not because United are "losing" Ronaldo, but because 80mil for one player is just down right disgusting. It just shows how wrong football is these days when one player is worth more than a Premiership Club like Bolton. What chance do we or any of the other "Normal" teams in the world have of competing with such rich Clubs.

Spain has been a two Club league for a long time now and England will be going the same way soon, unless of course these megarich teams all find that they can't finance their loans and all go under. Then I will be happy.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:United could sign 3 players that overall make them stronger as a team.
I'm actually not so sure about that . . . Ronaldo didn't have a great season by his standards but he's still a brilliant player. There's only two other guys in his class really, one of them just moved to Madrid and Barcelona won't be selling the other. Ribery might be close but if that rumored £65 million price tag is true then you don't have much left to work with.

Realistically they'll probably eat through more than half the money buying Tevez and Valencia, leaving £35 million or so to replace the magic Ronaldo can produce.

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:49 pm

blurred absolutely revelling in this

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:20 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:You really can't see beyond the end of the Albert Dock, can you mate? :wink:
Your cryptic response means what, exactly?

And it's all about the Newcastle Quayside these days, mi amigo.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:25 pm

blurred wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:You really can't see beyond the end of the Albert Dock, can you mate? :wink:
Your cryptic response means what, exactly?

And it's all about the Newcastle Quayside these days, mi amigo.
Well you won't see much up there with all that "fog on the tyne" matey

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:28 pm

Fantastic. player, at his best last year he was unplayable.

Seems to have let it get to his head, which we know Ferguson does not take to kindly...Paul 'Guvnor' Ince, Becks, Ruudy, etc.

Sad that I won't be able to see him ping in goals like this any more in the Prem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66rV9Ka50Cs

Happy that we lose the petulant little gob shite he became though. Hopefully he won't have much to moan about now he isn't getting 'kicked' as he complains so much about.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:40 pm

With this Ronaldo cash, me, I'd slap £50 mill under The Yanks at 'pools noses for Torres,
be a laugh that would, it would sure as hell put the Spanish waiters nose out of joint :mrgreen:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:48 pm

hoboh2o wrote:With this Ronaldo cash, me, I'd slap £50 mill under The Yanks at 'pools noses for Torres,
be a laugh that would, it would sure as hell put the Spanish waiters nose out of joint :mrgreen:
Or how bout 80M for Gerrard and Torres?