I think I'm done with football!

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:52 pm

And yet here we all are, on a bank holiday, spending time on a football forum... :D

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:08 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:And yet here we all are, on a bank holiday, spending time on a football forum... :D
I'm not.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:17 pm

fatshaft wrote:If you'd come away with Detroit, I might have let you off with this post :wink:
Incidentally, my team is Detroit. :(

However, doesn't the NFL have a rule that if you finish bottom of your division, you get first dibs on the college players coming through or something? (sorry, my terminology is off, I'm not the biggest fan of the sport).
Viva La Portable Radio!

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:38 pm

mofgimmers wrote:
fatshaft wrote:If you'd come away with Detroit, I might have let you off with this post :wink:
Incidentally, my team is Detroit. :(

However, doesn't the NFL have a rule that if you finish bottom of your division, you get first dibs on the college players coming through or something? (sorry, my terminology is off, I'm not the biggest fan of the sport).
Basically yes, which is why I made my earlier post, becasue in theory it doen't matter how bad you are, you'll get your day in the sun, in recenbt years Tampa Bay, Green Bay, and New England have all been as bad as can be, and for many many seasons, and yet all have turned it around to win the Superbowl.

Detroit are the team that proves the exception to the rule, they are shit, and have always been shit, mainly due to awful management.

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:06 pm

fatshaft wrote:Detroit are the team that proves the exception to the rule, they are shit, and have always been shit, mainly due to awful management.
Curse my choosing of teams based upon the music made in the city.
Viva La Portable Radio!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:10 pm

An I get told I'm negative ffs listen you lot!

:lmfao:

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:34 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Get yourselves up to Chorley, seriously, it'll renew your faith in the game!
Glad you said that in Other Footy after the last backlash! :wink:

I tell you what, I wasn't the only Bolton fan at Atherton LR vs Prescot on Saturday - no wonder crowds are down so much when so many people are just feeling so disaffected at the moment.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:55 pm

fatshaft wrote:Terrible analogy. The way American sports, but particularly the NFL are structured, bears no relation whatsoever to football. Every team should at some point get themselves a legitimate superbowl team, it's all down to how good or bad their management is, in football that cannot happen in the modern game. And thew Dolphins (my team btw) were the Man Utd of the NFL in the 70s, so also a bad Boltonesque example to pick. If you'd come away with Detroit, I might have let you off with this post :wink:
Curses! You read the small print.

In my de-fence, the main gist was that form can cyclical. Our day in the sun will come again. We had it really good for a few seasons with consecutive top 8 finishes. The thudding reality of our mediocre team is of course a bugger to take right now.

And the Dolphins were never the Utd of the NFL!

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Re: I think I'm done with football!

Post by Raven » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:44 pm

FD wrote:Apologies for the grandious, dramatic thread title but I wondered if anyone else was feeling this way?

The injustice yesterday has kinda "broken" me. No matter how well we do, no matter how much we deserve the result, the people in the game are just not up to running the game. From the top blokes down to the refs on the pitch, they just can't get it right enough.

The violence at West Ham, the same old misery every weekend. I feel like I can't be bothered any more.

I'm sick to death of this top four bullsh*t, the constant decisions going their way, the lack of TV time to anyone but them, the lack of funds to anyone who isn't owned by some foreign billionaire.

I don't know why I watch football any more!

I really don't mean this to be as dramatic as it probably appears, I just wondered if anyone else was feeling this way at the moment?
No I am with you and been like that for sometime, refuse to go anymore to pay over the odds prices for shite, everyone used to moan about the Scottish league being predictable, the English one is really the same, no real competition, money, cheating and posing ruining the game, its just boring!

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Re: I think I'm done with football!

Post by Raven » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:47 pm

bobby5 wrote:
FD wrote:Apologies for the grandious, dramatic thread title but I wondered if anyone else was feeling this way?

The injustice yesterday has kinda "broken" me. No matter how well we do, no matter how much we deserve the result, the people in the game are just not up to running the game. From the top blokes down to the refs on the pitch, they just can't get it right enough.

The violence at West Ham, the same old misery every weekend. I feel like I can't be bothered any more.

I'm sick to death of this top four bullsh*t, the constant decisions going their way, the lack of TV time to anyone but them, the lack of funds to anyone who isn't owned by some foreign billionaire.

I don't know why I watch football any more!

I really don't mean this to be as dramatic as it probably appears, I just wondered if anyone else was feeling this way at the moment?
Well I'm certain there will be a bad decision that will go in favour of Bolton over the course of a season. Yesterday was hardly an injustice. It wasn't the reason we lost the game. Muamba could have still shackled Gerrard. Take strikers off, pack midfield. Did you see the goals. Not much closing down on the Liverpool players. Essentially we can't cope against the tide when we have the backs to the wall.

Anyway, the way football is today, foreign millionaires is just the way it is. Even Notts County have an ambitious owner. Nowt wrong with ambition. I doubt there are many Man City fans who are disillusiond (yet!).

I have Sky Sports and rarely actually sit down to watch a game in full, usually it's on in the backround (Pompey vs Man City atm :)) Let's face most neutrals want to watch the top 4, they certainly don't want to watch the likes of Bolton.

Essentially FD, I feel the same way about football in general, but it's too addictive to give up. If it wasn't around then I'd miss it. You want to pop down and see a team in the lower leagues once in a while. I pop up to see Hereford a few times a season, it's only half an hour away for me . It's both shit and wondeful at the same time. Helps put a human face on football. Not all football is about the top 4.
Can't watch Pompey cos of that arse ringing the bell all the time

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:58 pm

Leyther_Matt wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Get yourselves up to Chorley, seriously, it'll renew your faith in the game!
Glad you said that in Other Footy after the last backlash! :wink:

I tell you what, I wasn't the only Bolton fan at Atherton LR vs Prescot on Saturday - no wonder crowds are down so much when so many people are just feeling so disaffected at the moment.
Indeed. At VP it's quite common to see Bolton, Blackburn and Preston bobhats.
May the bridges I burn light your way