Sean O Driscoll and Brian Laws

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Sean O Driscoll and Brian Laws

Post by TKIZ! » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:10 am

Just announced on SSN that Sean O'Driscoll and Brian Laws are the two candidates for the Burnley job.

Now the reason why I mention this but aren't Burnley 'stealing' O'Driscoll from Doncaster, will there be a media furore about it? Is he taking a sideways step?
Pfffft.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Re: Sean O Driscoll and Brian Laws

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:29 am

TKIZ! wrote:Just announced on SSN that Sean O'Driscoll and Brian Laws are the two candidates for the Burnley job.

Now the reason why I mention this but aren't Burnley 'stealing' O'Driscoll from Doncaster, will there be a media furore about it? Is he taking a sideways step?
Plucky little Burnley wouldn't do that.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Re: Sean O Driscoll and Brian Laws

Post by TKIZ! » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:
TKIZ! wrote:Just announced on SSN that Sean O'Driscoll and Brian Laws are the two candidates for the Burnley job.

Plucky little Burnley wouldn't do that.
:pray: According to SSN they would - I wonder what the Doncaster fans are thinking about now?
Pfffft.

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:01 am

Brian Laws??? Is this another 'people who know football will understand' moment?
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

BWFC_Wyles
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BWFC_Wyles » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:06 am

bobby5 wrote:Brian Laws??? Is this another 'people who know football will understand' moment?
I was thinking the exact same thing this morning! It must be.....surely??
"Anything else you'd like? How about real lead in the radiation shields? Urinal cakes, maybe?"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:56 pm

Well Laws has been appointed now. And its not exactly pleased the Burnley bretheren.

Shame.

Its the "pragmatic" approach I suppose, someone with a bit of experience who builds relatively solid battling sides with one or two flair players in there.

In some ways its a very similar appointment to ours of Megson. He doesn't have a great record on the face of it, but in terms of the resources he's had avaiable he's done "ok" probably!

He's a nice enough bloke though, used to listen to him on radio sheffield every night for a while.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:10 pm

This appointment smacks of 'the moral highground' had O'Driscoll been the one out of work, they'd have gone for'im
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:11 pm

boltonboris wrote:This appointment smacks of 'the moral highground' had O'Driscoll been the one out of work, they'd have gone for'im
More like "we're not spending a million quid on a manager when there's one for free".

Burnley are frugal and don't want to get into debt!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:38 pm

bobby5 wrote:Brian Laws??? Is this another 'people who know football will understand' moment?
Yes.

People who've had Gary Megson appointed amid a flurry of wtf's???!! will understand
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:48 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Well Laws has been appointed now. And its not exactly pleased the Burnley bretheren.

Shame.

Its the "pragmatic" approach I suppose, someone with a bit of experience who builds relatively solid battling sides with one or two flair players in there.

In some ways its a very similar appointment to ours of Megson. He doesn't have a great record on the face of it, but in terms of the resources he's had avaiable he's done "ok" probably!

He's a nice enough bloke though, used to listen to him on radio sheffield every night for a while.
I think Laws has been a far more successful and admired manager than Megson was when he joined us.

He is in for a tough baptism: Man U(a), BWFC(a), Chelsea(h), West Ham(h), Fulham(a), Villa(a). Only the West Ham game and, I suppose from their point of view, our game, looks winnable and they probably won't be favourites in those two.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:06 am

Strange decision though, but then so was Sam when he came to us. But we were in the Championship at the time, as where Burnley when they appointed Coyle.

They will be lucky to survive now.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:34 am

FaninOz wrote:Strange decision though, but then so was Sam when he came to us. But we were in the Championship at the time, as where Burnley when they appointed Coyle.

They will be lucky to survive now.
Why was Allardyce a strange decision?

He'd been successful at Blackpool, before being sacked after taking them to the play-offs. By a chairman in gaol.

He was successful at Notts County.

He had a good coaching pedigree. And, obviously, he'd done well in the interview.

Nothing strange about that.

Now Megson's appointment - that was strange...
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:14 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Well Laws has been appointed now. And its not exactly pleased the Burnley bretheren.

Shame.

I think Laws has been a far more successful and admired manager than Megson was when he joined us.
He is in for a tough baptism: Man U(a), BWFC(a), Chelsea(h), West Ham(h), Fulham(a), Villa(a). Only the West Ham game and, I suppose from their point of view, our game, looks winnable and they probably won't be favourites in those two.
Has he? Ask Sheffield Wednesday and Scunthorpe fans (his only two managerial positions) and see what they think!

At least Megson had promoted a team to the premiership twice!

Not that I'm saying Megson is better than Laws just that I think its hard to say Laws has a more distinguished pedigree so far.

One thing about Laws is he usually got Wednesday very fired up for the derbies and had a decent record in them. So we'd best bear that in mind for the 26th!

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:40 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Has he? Ask Sheffield Wednesday and Scunthorpe fans (his only two managerial positions) and see what they think!
Sorry, but he's had more jobs than that.

He was at Grimsby for a start (think Bonetti and flying chicken wings).

I'm sure he's had others, too.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:44 am

Puskas wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Oh aye yeah sorry forgot he was player-manager at Grimsby! Mind Grimsby are easy to forget!

But thats it just the three managerial posts he's had!

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:33 am

I remember hearing from a Grimsby pal of mine after we had tonked them 6-0 or similar: "The Laws obits are being prepared". Good Luck, Burnley...

rockthereebok
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by rockthereebok » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:57 am

According to this Premier League relegation blog, Burnley's odds for the drop have actually shortened after they appointed Laws. Nothing like a vote of confidence. So then, with Portsmouth doomed, do we expect Burnley to fill up that second bottom spot and leave it as one from Stoke, Sunderland, Blackburn, Wolves, Wigan, West Ham, us and Hull for the last spot? Really starting to fancy our chances of avoding the drop.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:40 pm

Puskas wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Yeah I spoke to a Grimsby fan ysterday about that - they know how to hold a grudge!

Anyway hopefully this fella will relegate Burnley (doesn't seem to have the right 'pedigree' for the job) and we'll be the villians, hated forever after.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:25 pm

Hope so.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:55 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote: Has he? Ask Sheffield Wednesday and Scunthorpe fans (his only two managerial positions) and see what they think!

At least Megson had promoted a team to the premiership twice!

Not that I'm saying Megson is better than Laws just that I think its hard to say Laws has a more distinguished pedigree so far.

One thing about Laws is he usually got Wednesday very fired up for the derbies and had a decent record in them. So we'd best bear that in mind for the 26th!
From what I've read both sets of fans seem to think he did a decent job. He took Scunthorpe from 4th tier to 2nd tier over the period he was there, and Wednesday fans seem to think he did a decent job on a low budget until they had a bad run this season.

Perhaps the most telling stat is that Megson had 6 or 7 clubs before us, whereas Laws has been a manager for a similar period and has had 3 jobs, 2 main ones.

Hopefully we will see that OC was a miracle worker whilst at Burnley, and they are unable to perform to the same level under a new manager, especially on the 26th. If it came down to the last day though, and it's them, West Ham or Wolves, then I will be shouting for them.