Blackpool make the playoffs!

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Blackpool make the playoffs!

Post by FaninOz » Sun May 02, 2010 3:34 pm

Wow how long since they have been in the top flight? Only been back up in the Championship for 3 seasons as well!

So Forest v Blackpool and Cardiff v Leicester who were also recently in Div 1.

Wouldn't expect any of those sides to do much in the Premiership next season.

Sheff Wednesday went down to Div 1 by the way after a 2-2 draw at home to financially threatened Crystal Palace!
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sun May 02, 2010 3:40 pm

They can shove their Blackpool tower up their arse.
Businesswoman of the year.

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sun May 02, 2010 4:15 pm

I'm made up for them, and for Ian Holloway - lovely bloke, even if he talks nonsense 90% of the time.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sun May 02, 2010 5:03 pm

I hope they do it... It'd be a fantastic away trip and another derby
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Sun May 02, 2010 5:09 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:They can shove their Blackpool tower up their arse.
Ouch!

I'm sure fans of half the Premiership sides are hoping Blackpool can come up just for the awayday alone. Somehow I can't see us playing them at 3pm or 5pm on a Saturday if they did make it up, from what I can gather our rivalry with them in years gone by is "tasty" to say the least?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun May 02, 2010 7:01 pm

boltonboris wrote:I hope they do it... It'd be a fantastic away trip and another derby
... it always used to be Boxing Day afternoon. Get on the train, arrive around 12noon, get bladdered in Yates' on their 'draft champagne' and Guinness and stumble into the ground at about 3.15pm unable to see a blind thing.

Back into town after the obligatory win & get back home, utterly pished at about 11pm. "Had a good day dear ?"?, "Dunno, can't remember !"

Now THAT's a boxing day !
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun May 02, 2010 7:13 pm

P.O.S. wrote:
Ouch!

I'm sure fans of half the Premiership sides are hoping Blackpool can come up just for the awayday alone. Somehow I can't see us playing them at 3pm or 5pm on a Saturday if they did make it up, from what I can gather our rivalry with them in years gone by is "tasty" to say the least?
I think the first killing at a football ground ever was at this fixture in - I think - 1974. Certainly about that. A Blackpool supporter was stabbed by a Bolton fan. The Blackpool fans decided that the person responsible was a black supporter (possibly the only one in the ground in those days) and set up a bunch of chants about getting 'the nigger'. The police arrested him. He was remanded in custody for - i think - more than six months, tried for murder, found not guilty. He didn't do it, you see, and was lucky to get an honest jury, i guess.

The following season, IIRC, I saw a Blackburn fan being helped out of Ewood with blood pouring from a stab wound in his stomach...

I really don't want to be pompous here - but let's not use the word 'tasty' when talking about football-related violence...

But - Blackpool was often a great away trip. esp early or late season, with football on the sands and all the joys of what was still a thriving place... unlike the mess it sems to me to be now...

And hope they win promotion (only two spots to wory about then...)

Gidong
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gidong » Sun May 02, 2010 8:54 pm

Not the story I heard.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun May 02, 2010 9:03 pm

Horrible, toilet of a place with horrible obnoxious fans.

Hope they go up to come crashing straight back down.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun May 02, 2010 9:05 pm

Gidong wrote:Not the story I heard.
Interesting. What did you hear?
May the bridges I burn light your way

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun May 02, 2010 9:51 pm

just done some research - Kevin Olsson was the name of the 17 years old supporter killed... it was August 1974... i was there when the blackpool fans were chanting 'we want the nigger'... a black supporter was arrested... i'm ALMOST certain about this, and was tried and found not guilty...

where is the innacuracy?

Gidong
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gidong » Sun May 02, 2010 10:10 pm

I think it is better we don't discuss this one.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun May 02, 2010 10:32 pm

Gidong wrote:I think it is better we don't discuss this one.
had you not come over all mysterious - there'd have been no discussion!

Gidong
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gidong » Sun May 02, 2010 10:36 pm

My apologies for the firsts reply - hindsight is a great thing.

enough said.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 03, 2010 12:09 am

William the White wrote:
P.O.S. wrote:
Ouch!

I think the first killing at a football ground ever was at this fixture in - I think - 1974. Certainly about that. A Blackpool supporter was stabbed by a Bolton fan. The Blackpool fans decided that the person responsible was a black supporter (possibly the only one in the ground in those days) and set up a bunch of chants about getting 'the nigger'. The police arrested him. He was remanded in custody for - i think - more than six months, tried for murder, found not guilty. He didn't do it, you see, and was lucky to get an honest jury, i guess.

The following season, IIRC, I saw a Blackburn fan being helped out of Ewood with blood pouring from a stab wound in his stomach...

I really don't want to be pompous here - but let's not use the word 'tasty' when talking about football-related violence...

But - Blackpool was often a great away trip. esp early or late season, with football on the sands and all the joys of what was still a thriving place... unlike the mess it sems to me to be now...

WtW.

Tried - found not guilty.

Unless you want to pursue a private prosecution, leave off. and stop being all "flowery" about it, because you probably have as much "notion" as me - unless you were a witness.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon May 03, 2010 12:32 am

Worthy4England wrote:
William the White wrote:
P.O.S. wrote:
Ouch!

WtW.

Unless you want to pursue a private prosecution, leave off. and stop being all "flowery" about it, because you probably have as much "notion" as me - unless you were a witness.
Who on earth would I want to prosecute? What does 'flowery' mean? I didn't witness the crime, I never claimed I did. I did witness the Blackpool fans shouting 'We want the nigger'.

Have you done some more research that can confirm he was tried and found not guilty, which is my memory, though, obviously fallible? Or were charges dropped? I've been trying to find out since Gidong raised a query about my post.

I really don't follow what you are saying in your post, tho you do seem to be annoyed at me. Why?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 03, 2010 12:46 am

William the White wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
William the White wrote:
P.O.S. wrote:
Ouch!

WtW.

Who on earth would I want to prosecute? What does 'flowery' mean? I didn't witness the crime, I never claimed I did. I did witness the Blackpool fans shouting 'We want the nigger'.

Have you done some more research that can confirm he was tried and found not guilty, which is my memory, though, obviously fallible? Or were charges dropped? I've been trying to find out since Gidong raised a query about my post.

I really don't follow what you are saying in your post, tho you do seem to be annoyed at me. Why?
Mr the White,

I'm never really annoyed, it doesn't fit my character. :-)

It was the "I guess" bit at the end, that disturbed me.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Mon May 03, 2010 8:19 am

I can confirm that the youth was tried and found not guilty. I knew him. There were two guys, him being one, suspected of the offence. I knew them both. I cannot remember if the other one actually went to court, after all this time.

I saw the lad who got killed, before the game. (He was stabbed during the half-time interval and either died in hospital or was dead on arrival, I'm not sure.) He was a big blonde haired lad, as I recall - and an amateur boxer, from local newspaper reports at the time. I saw some of the worst football violence that I ever experienced that day, both before and after the incident - from both sets of supporters. I'm glad that those days have gone.

Incidentally WtW, there were quite a few Bolton fans of West Indian origin at the game. The Blackpool police, in their ineptitude, pulled as many as they could and held them all until after midnight before releasing them. My brother did not arrive home until around 2.00am because the driver of the car that he had travelled in was a half caste (I'm not sure if that's a PC term any more, but that's how we referred to the offspring of West Indian and English parents in those days.) Neither my brother or his friend had anything whatsoever to do with the incident, apart from being on the Blackpool Kop (along with thousands of other Bolton fans on the day.)

It was the same day on which Alan Waldron broke his leg badly, following an innocuous tackle. He played again - but was never the same player as before.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Mon May 03, 2010 12:23 pm

William the White wrote:
just done some research - Kevin Olsson was the name of the 17 years old supporter killed... it was August 1974... i was there when the blackpool fans were chanting 'we want the nigger'... a black supporter was arrested... i'm ALMOST certain about this, and was tried and found not guilty...

where is the innacuracy?
I too was there that day. Got a brick on me kneecap for my efforts as well. Ghastly day.

Wasn't the black chap called *** ********? Can't find anything on the net so far.

Decided not to name the guy. :oops:
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Mon May 03, 2010 12:34 pm

InsaneApache wrote: I too was there that day. Got a brick on me kneecap for my efforts as well. Ghastly day.

Wasn't the black chap called *** ********? Can't find anything on the net so far.

Decided not to name the guy. :oops:
Thanks for that Insane. Please don't name the guy who was acquitted. It was a long time ago - and he was found to be not guilty.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!