Blackpool make the playoffs!

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Wed May 05, 2010 9:23 am

William the White wrote:
P.O.S. wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:They can shove their Blackpool tower up their arse.
Ouch!

I'm sure fans of half the Premiership sides are hoping Blackpool can come up just for the awayday alone. Somehow I can't see us playing them at 3pm or 5pm on a Saturday if they did make it up, from what I can gather our rivalry with them in years gone by is "tasty" to say the least?
I think the first killing at a football ground ever was at this fixture in - I think - 1974. Certainly about that. A Blackpool supporter was stabbed by a Bolton fan. The Blackpool fans decided that the person responsible was a black supporter (possibly the only one in the ground in those days) and set up a bunch of chants about getting 'the nigger'. The police arrested him. He was remanded in custody for - i think - more than six months, tried for murder, found not guilty. He didn't do it, you see, and was lucky to get an honest jury, i guess.

The following season, IIRC, I saw a Blackburn fan being helped out of Ewood with blood pouring from a stab wound in his stomach...

I really don't want to be pompous here - but let's not use the word 'tasty' when talking about football-related violence...

But - Blackpool was often a great away trip. esp early or late season, with football on the sands and all the joys of what was still a thriving place... unlike the mess it sems to me to be now...

And hope they win promotion (only two spots to wory about then...)
The owd fella was on of the young lads kicking off that day, said it was mayhem and like nothing you'd ever see nowadays. Blackpool fans haven't forgot, though. Go on an internet board and they're not Bolton Wanderers 'friendly' to say the least, despite it happening before I was even born.

I really hope they go up, would be great to have another NW team in the top flight, it's a shame Burnley didn't stay up at the expense of those bubble-blowing mockneys, or almost half the division would be NW based.

As for the away trip, it's safe to say that we don't follow well (anymore) but we do have a big turnout at the local 'old school' games, there'd be Bolton all over Blackpool if it did happen :pissed: :pissed:
Troll and proud of it.

Juewanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Juewanderer » Wed May 05, 2010 10:29 am

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:I can confirm that the youth was tried and found not guilty. I knew him. There were two guys, him being one, suspected of the offence. I knew them both. I cannot remember if the other one actually went to court, after all this time.

I saw the lad who got killed, before the game. (He was stabbed during the half-time interval and either died in hospital or was dead on arrival, I'm not sure.) He was a big blonde haired lad, as I recall - and an amateur boxer, from local newspaper reports at the time. I saw some of the worst football violence that I ever experienced that day, both before and after the incident - from both sets of supporters. I'm glad that those days have gone.

Incidentally WtW, there were quite a few Bolton fans of West Indian origin at the game. The Blackpool police, in their ineptitude, pulled as many as they could and held them all until after midnight before releasing them. My brother did not arrive home until around 2.00am because the driver of the car that he had travelled in was a half caste (I'm not sure if that's a PC term any more, but that's how we referred to the offspring of West Indian and English parents in those days.) Neither my brother or his friend had anything whatsoever to do with the incident, apart from being on the Blackpool Kop (along with thousands of other Bolton fans on the day.)

It was the same day on which Alan Waldron broke his leg badly, following an innocuous tackle. He played again - but was never the same player as before.
Thanks for posting Bolton's side of this tragic incident..... with me living in Blackpool i've only ever heard how it was all BWFC fans fault.. and we're all murderers, scum etc After reading through this thread it appears to be a terrible incident brought on by the way football was in that era. It wasn't BWFC or our fans fault and hopefully those days are gone.

If Blackpool do get the promotion , does anyone think there'll be repercussions?
Never give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Wed May 05, 2010 10:52 am

Well good luck Blackpool anyway, with two of the usual suspects promoted, be nice to see Blackpool or Cardiff make it up.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed May 05, 2010 11:00 am

I'm in Blackpool for something else on Saturday when they have the playoff semi first leg.. Shall be keeping my football team to myself.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed May 05, 2010 11:02 am

fatshaft wrote:Well good luck Blackpool anyway, with two of the usual suspects promoted, be nice to see Blackpool or Cardiff make it up.
It will NOT be nice to see Cardiff promoted, Fatshaft. Not if you live in Wales, anyway. Feck, the media overload would be nausiating.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Wed May 05, 2010 12:25 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
fatshaft wrote:Well good luck Blackpool anyway, with two of the usual suspects promoted, be nice to see Blackpool or Cardiff make it up.
It will NOT be nice to see Cardiff promoted, Fatshaft. Not if you live in Wales, anyway. Feck, the media overload would be nausiating.
Surely better than the usual Utd/Chelsea/Liverpool wankathon we routinely suffer?

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Wed May 05, 2010 12:27 pm

fatshaft wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Surely better than the usual Utd/Chelsea/Liverpool wankathon we routinely suffer?
We still would. Wales will suffer the Cardiff wankathon, placed right next to the Liverpool wankathon.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed May 05, 2010 1:00 pm

fatshaft wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Oh, fckg-hell no. You really can't imagine it.

In Welsh TV if some kid get's a GCSE they go hay-wire over it **. Honestly, you have to see it to believe it.

(** Fortunately the education system's so shite this rarely, if ever, happens)
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

rockthereebok
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by rockthereebok » Wed May 05, 2010 1:48 pm

Personally (and I'm drifting off topic here) I don't think Cardiff should be allowed to be promoted. As this news story points out they've been given another "last chance" to cough up to the tax man and given some of the stuff that went on their early this season it looks like it's another Portsmouth waiting to happen.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 05, 2010 3:17 pm

rockthereebok wrote:Personally (and I'm drifting off topic here) I don't think Cardiff should be allowed to be promoted. As this news story points out they've been given another "last chance" to cough up to the tax man and given some of the stuff that went on their early this season it looks like it's another Portsmouth waiting to happen.
Nothing wrong with limiting relegation spots to just two (after an appropriate 9 point deduction)

Come on you blues....

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed May 05, 2010 4:11 pm

Athers wrote:I'm in Blackpool for something else on Saturday when they have the playoff semi first leg.. Shall be keeping my football team to myself.
Bollocks. Just realised I am as well! Probably a good idea not to head into town. Also, growing up on the Fylde coast has given me the same one sided view on the events of that match.

I'll be pleased for them if they do go up though as I worked at the training ground for a couple of summers before I came to uni so have a sort of soft spot for them, despite the fact the fans are on the whole complete loons.

rockthereebok
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by rockthereebok » Wed May 05, 2010 4:59 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
rockthereebok wrote:Personally (and I'm drifting off topic here) I don't think Cardiff should be allowed to be promoted. As this news story points out they've been given another "last chance" to cough up to the tax man and given some of the stuff that went on their early this season it looks like it's another Portsmouth waiting to happen.
Nothing wrong with limiting relegation spots to just two (after an appropriate 9 point deduction)

Come on you blues....
Ha ha ha. I didn't think about it from that perspective. I'm all for them now.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed May 05, 2010 5:05 pm

rockthereebok wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Come on you blues....
Ha ha ha. I didn't think about it from that perspective. I'm all for them now.
If they get promotoed, the tax man will be paid off no problem, so there won't be any points / admin issue
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sat May 08, 2010 2:16 pm

2-1 up at home to Forest... First leg. 20 mins left
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue May 11, 2010 10:30 pm

Yes Blackpool! Just one more win. I'm moving to Blackpool next year so will be nice to have Premiership football on my doorstep once again!

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Tue May 11, 2010 11:25 pm

jimbo wrote:Yes Blackpool! Just one more win. I'm moving to Blackpool next year so will be nice to have Premiership football on my doorstep once again!
something tells me that wont be the only thing you'll have on your doorstep during the weekends!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed May 12, 2010 12:57 am

P.O.S. wrote:
jimbo wrote:Yes Blackpool! Just one more win. I'm moving to Blackpool next year so will be nice to have Premiership football on my doorstep once again!
something tells me that wont be the only thing you'll have on your doorstep during the weekends!
... syringes.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Wed May 12, 2010 2:00 pm

Congratulations to Blackpool winning at Forest isn't easy and so a 4-3 score is excellent. I hope that they can win the playoff final as well.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed May 12, 2010 4:40 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
P.O.S. wrote:
... syringes.
Pretty sure it won't be any worse than one of the more deprived districts of Liverpool where I am at the moment!

forestBolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by forestBolton » Wed May 12, 2010 5:26 pm

Blackpool deserved that win, they played Forest off the field. In true forest fashion, we just gave up.

I'm 100% rooting for Pool to go up.