David Villa to sign for Barcelona

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

potter1989bwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by potter1989bwfc » Thu May 20, 2010 12:12 pm

boltonboris wrote:
potter1989bwfc wrote:Messi Zlatan Villa

Would be the front 3.

Henry is going.
You'd have Villa as one of the wide men? Nah, I don't think they've finished dealing in Catalunya yet
Messi scored 35+ this season and he been on the left right and centre.

They all switch.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu May 20, 2010 12:26 pm

potter1989bwfc wrote:
boltonboris wrote:

Would be the front 3.

Henry is going.
You'd have Villa as one of the wide men? Nah, I don't think they've finished dealing in Catalunya yet

They all switch.
Zlatan very rarely moves from the area
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Thu May 20, 2010 12:43 pm

boltonboris wrote:
potter1989bwfc wrote:
boltonboris wrote:

Would be the front 3.

Henry is going.

They all switch.
Zlatan very rarely moves
Corrected.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu May 20, 2010 2:05 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Zlatan very rarely moves
Corrected.
There was a game in this year's Champions League (it may have been the first leg of the Inter match, although I stand to be corrected) where Victor Valdes covered more ground during the course of the game than Zlatan. Excellent stuff.

Imagine a front pair of him and Berbatov.

rockthereebok
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by rockthereebok » Thu May 20, 2010 2:11 pm

Is £34 million for a player ever going to be a bargain? I think by today's standards it's a decent deal. He's certainly not half the player Ronaldo is...

Better than Torres too, I think. Now there's a man who'll go for silly money this summer.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu May 20, 2010 2:15 pm

rockthereebok wrote:Is £34 million for a player ever going to be a bargain? I think by today's standards it's a decent deal. He's certainly not half the player Ronaldo is...
It would be for a very few select individuals who are at the top of their game and have their best years ahead of them. Kaka, Ronaldo, Torres and Rooney would all be bargains at that price. For a large group of players it'd represent 'value', which I think it does for Villa.
rockthereebok wrote:Better than Torres too, I think. Now there's a man who'll go for silly money this summer.
Disagree on both counts.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Thu May 20, 2010 3:36 pm

blurred wrote:
rockthereebok wrote:Is £34 million for a player ever going to be a bargain? I think by today's standards it's a decent deal. He's certainly not half the player Ronaldo is...
It would be for a very few select individuals who are at the top of their game and have their best years ahead of them. Kaka, Ronaldo, Torres and Rooney would all be bargains at that price. For a large group of players it'd represent 'value', which I think it does for Villa.
rockthereebok wrote:Better than Torres too, I think. Now there's a man who'll go for silly money this summer.
Disagree on both counts.
What - you reckon he'll go cheaply?
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu May 20, 2010 3:37 pm

Besides, I make it four points:

1) Villa is better than him
2) He'll go
3) It'll be this summer
4) It'll be silly money.

So which 2?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu May 20, 2010 3:44 pm

Puskas wrote:
blurred wrote:
Disagree on both counts.
What - you reckon he'll go cheaply?
I think he disagrees on the "there's a man" point.... easily done...

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu May 20, 2010 3:49 pm

So its 5 then?

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Thu May 20, 2010 4:48 pm

I'd be willing to put a 5 quid / 10,000 won charity bet on Torres leaving this summer. He won't want to be out of the Champions League, and he'd have to be retarded to think Liverpool will finish in the top 4 next season with no depth, no money, and a dunce for a manager.

But if he gets injured at the World Cup, all bets are off, because nobody would be dumb enough to spend big money on a player who is crocked.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu May 20, 2010 10:35 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Besides, I make it four points:

1) Villa is better than him
2) He'll go
3) It'll be this summer
4) It'll be silly money.

So which 2?
That Villa is better and that Torres will leave this summer.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 21, 2010 1:13 am

Not much between Torres and Villa, given the choice I'd rather have Torres. Just. Plus he is younger. That said whether he stays or goes is far from clear cut IMHO
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Fri May 21, 2010 12:32 pm

blurred wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Great signing and a fairly decent price in todays crazy market.... Possibly the best striker around
£34m for a 28 year old who's had the best years of his life on someone else's pitch? Hmmm, not sure it's as bargainous as some people are making out.
Agreed, they should have gotten him last season instead of Zlatan.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri May 21, 2010 2:25 pm

Can't remember where I read it (it may even have been on here) that Ibrahimovic went to Barca just so they could get shot of Eto'o. And that Villa is now going so cheap because Valencia are up their eyeballs, the majority of the fee going to the banks.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 21, 2010 2:33 pm

Aye, Valencia have been fooked for a while, new stadium plus one really bad Champions League-less year (get building on Stanley Park!). Even Champions League qualification for next year doesn't seem to be enough, and there's rumours one of Silva and Juan Mata will have to go as well.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Fri May 21, 2010 3:06 pm

Prufrock wrote:Aye, Valencia have been fooked for a while, new stadium plus one really bad Champions League-less year (get building on Stanley Park!). Even Champions League qualification for next year doesn't seem to be enough, and there's rumours one of Silva and Juan Mata will have to go as well.
Last year they banked on keeping all three and that they'd make the CL - the new President agreed deals with their creditors on preferential terms to Valencia, and they were able to refuse anything but a 'scandalously scandalous' offer for Villa last year, in his words.

The smart money this summer was that they'd sell one of their 'big 3', which they have, and I'm not at all surprised that it's Villa. He's the oldest of the 3, he's been agitating for a move more than the others, and it's all well and good keeping a top striker but what's the point if you've choked off the creativity? It serves the team better if they retain the creativity and hope that someone else will be able to bang in the goals.

I'd be surprised if they decided to sell Mata or Silva; from my understanding the financial situation is improved (now I believe they're only waist-deep in shit) and they wouldn't have to get rid of their most saleable assets unless they chose to.