The (potential) demise of Crystal Palace FC...

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

rockthereebok
Hopeful
Hopeful

The (potential) demise of Crystal Palace FC...

Post by rockthereebok » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:35 am

Sad news from That London, with Palace set to go into liquidation. It seems mad that Portsmouth can lumber on with huge debts while Palace look set to disappear off the face of the earth over £1.5 million. It's also pretty shocking that the government seem willing to let a hedge fund and a bank drive a football club into the ground. Even if the worse does happen, I hope lessons are learnt.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:46 am

I don't think they will go out of business, but if they do - who gets their place? Sheffield Wednesday?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:16 pm

There will be a few more yet!

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:13 am

It looks like the club is safe, for now anyway, following arrangements between CPFC 2010 and Lloyds (BoS).

I wish its supporters well; it must be dreadful to have your club mauled like Palace has been.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:25 am

Dujon wrote:It looks like the club is safe, for now anyway, following arrangements between CPFC 2010 and Lloyds (BoS).

I wish its supporters well; it must be dreadful to have your club mauled like Palace has been.
Immediately I'd agree.

However, & this applies especially to Pompey fans, their fans didn't whinge when they were up there & having truly big players sign and getting to cup finals.

Palace fans didn't have an issue with prize tosspot, Simon Jordan, took over & threatened multi-millions. The prime (no pun) example was when Citeh (massive club) fans welcomed arch-criminal, political fraudster & mass murderer Taxing Shingaurdawhatcha like a long lost uncle to ownership of their club.

Remember Notts. Co fans being all shy & retirng 12m ago ? ... no, neither do I.

Would we be any different ? I doubt it. But when a super-rich new owner with no previous with your club arrives don't presume all will be well.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TKIZ!
Legend
Legend

Post by TKIZ! » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:29 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Dujon wrote:It looks like the club is safe, for now anyway, following arrangements between CPFC 2010 and Lloyds (BoS).

Immediately I'd agree.

However, & this applies especially to Pompey fans, their fans didn't whinge when they were up there & having truly big players sign and getting to cup finals.

Palace fans didn't have an issue with prize tosspot, Simon Jordan, took over & threatened multi-millions. The prime (no pun) example was when Citeh (massive club) fans welcomed arch-criminal, political fraudster & mass murderer Taxing Shingaurdawhatcha like a long lost uncle to ownership of their club.

Would we be any different ? I doubt it. But when a super-rich new owner with no previous with your club arrives don't presume all will be well.
It's not like Uncle Eddie has got a few bob or two though, is it? He's just made sure that we haven't gone and spent an extortinate amount on players. We all must know that he's put his hand in his pocket a few times to help us get players that we'd never have seen playing in a white shirt. However I don't necessarily agree with us having to pay a huge amount of money back to him. Rather that though than be in Portsmouth, Palace shoes?
Pfffft.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:48 pm

bobo the clown wrote:

Immediately I'd agree.

I think I agree with where you're coming from Bobo, and I very much doubt we'd be different. Not sure what the fans are supposed to do though? They can't stop it, and often don't know it is happening. You're bound to enjoy it whilst you can. Human nature means as an uninformed, emotionally invested fan you assume it will be fine.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.