Keys and Gray...

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Keys and Gray...

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:58 pm

I hadn't heard about this. That's brilliant.

Reebok Rules
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Reebok Rules » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:03 pm

I fail to see the problem here - surely they were only pointing out the obvious - that it's a man's game, invented by men, played by men and ought to be officiated by men. I mean, women DO have a place in football - catering, ticket sales, club shop etc.

Jeez - they'll be suggesting that women can actually PLAY the game next!!

That would be ok if there was still the communal bath afterwards I guess :D

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:09 pm

Reebok Rules wrote:I fail to see the problem here - surely they were only pointing out the obvious - that it's a man's game, invented by men, played by men and ought to be officiated by men. I mean, women DO have a place in football - catering, ticket sales, club shop etc.

Jeez - they'll be suggesting that women can actually PLAY the game next!!

That would be ok if there was still the communal bath afterwards I guess :D
Hmmmmm... am presuming you're joking...

Keys and Gray are clearly idiots, glad they have been caught out - but it still rankles that women aren't seen to know anything about football by those that should know better...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:28 pm

hmmm... y'see I started this thread thinking that Gray and Keys were quite wrong... but along comes a girl and who has chosen Arsenal to support - and suddenly I am not so sure...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:28 pm

I'm not sure they 'should' be sacked. Though it would be fair enough also if they were. Depends whether or not you want your message to be 'out of touch' and 'moronic'.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:53 pm

boltonboris wrote:They're not doing MNF tonight for our game.. Statement to follow

They'll probably get Rodney Marsh and Mel Gibson to do it instead
Ron Atkinson's not busy tonight..

I'm sort of torn a little on this one - I've met far more women who have no concept of the offside rule than blokes, but unfortunately, they've applied that logic to someone who looks to have a decent grasp of it. I would probably struggle with plenty of today's possible interpretations so I'll stop right there. :-)

T'other thing is you have to differentiate between banter and discrimination (for me anyhow) - jokes about girlies understanding of the offside rule aren't new, but in today's fluffy society, banter seem to be a no-no.

Oh and as crass as some of the "ex-pros" comments can be, I'd much rather hear them, than some token female who's there because the TV companies have some quota to reach.

...Looking for caveman smiley, to save our modernists the trouble...

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:17 pm

The airwaves have been kept righteously busy today. Basically, had you spent the day listening to the radio after having been away from human contact for years, you'd come to the conclusion that the following institutions are sexist and should be burnt down and the whole thiing should start again with equal proportion of women involved in the whole process:

- Football (all football, despite the fact that women's football is the fastest growing sport in the country, and that grass roots has done a lot for equality in youth sport)
- Sport in general (apparently it's stuck in the 50s, despite women tennisd players earning the same as their male counterparts at Grand Slam tournaments for doing 60% of the work)
- Men (every last one of them,. blissfully ignorant that such a sweeping generalisation could be seen as a little bit sexist)

Loose Women is OK, apparently, because their wild-eyed manbashing is on air. In which case, had Keys and Gray said what they did to the cameras, it'd be OK because it'd be seen as "banter".

Me? I thought it was a childishly unfunny bit of cockwaving that wouldn't be out of place in an episode of I'm Alan Partridge, that has stoked the fires for the people who think positive discrimination would be more beneficial than meritocratic recruitment that is already all too rare in the higher levels of the game.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:22 pm

Whew - thought it was just me. :-)

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:08 pm

thebish wrote:hmmm... y'see I started this thread thinking that Gray and Keys were quite wrong... but along comes a girl and who has chosen Arsenal to support - and suddenly I am not so sure...
Ahhh yes, plainly stupid to support a good team like arsenal who play amazing football when I could be supporting a team like Bolton... :roll: :roll: :wink:

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:09 pm

Amazing football?

You see, women and football....
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:10 pm

Btw - just explained the offside rule to my husband using the babies soft toys!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:12 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Amazing football?

I can tell amazing football when i see it - I'm an FA level 2 football coach and was there when we gave your guys a footballing lesson at the emirates earlier this season! ;)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:41 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:

I can tell amazing football when i see it - I'm an FA level 2 football coach and was there when we gave your guys a footballing lesson at the emirates earlier this season! ;)
ahh - i see - well done.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:42 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:

Ooo yer a clever little lass aren't you? Now run along and pop the kettle on :wink:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:51 pm

If all that comes out of this is Gray and Keys getting the sack then I think that's a good result :)
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:45 pm

BBC brekkie had some angry bint on, complaining that there aren't enough women involved in football, surely women should run women's football and vice versa?

Although I imagine a flat-d*ck would have no problem sending off Rooney after a mouthful of scouse abuse.
Troll and proud of it.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:39 am

Do these two actually know anything about the game? Gray's "Messi couldn't do that in the Premiership" and Keys' "Pirlo hit a great free kick, could he be the new Cristiano Ronaldo" guff grinds my gears.

Get James Richardson on, now.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:41 am

They may not survive this little episode.

Here's hoping.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:58 am

That BBC link from bish's first post wrote:Former executive deputy chairman of Millwall Football Club Heather Rabbatts told BBC Radio 5 live the game needed more female officials.

"But when they're appointed, sadly, they'll get the same abuse as their male colleagues."

Yes love they will get the same abuse as men; it's called equality. It's what women have been demanding for decades.
Businesswoman of the year.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:00 am

Keys clearly loves himself. He genuinely seems to think that presenting a TV show is something of an achievement; something, even, to be proud of. It isn't. If your job is to stand in front of a camera and ask Andy Gray questions your career achievements rank alongside Jordan's or someone who failed to make it past the X Factor auditions.

So, no punishment for incompetence and a one match ban for obnoxiousness. Not much really.