Joey O Brien

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Joey O Brien

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:28 am

TANGODANCER wrote:The number of games he's actually played in, I'm surprised many can actually remember whether he's good bad or indifferent.
Would you similarly apply that logic then to Laville, Candella, Hierro etc? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:31 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:The number of games he's actually played in, I'm surprised many can actually remember whether he's good bad or indifferent.
Would you similarly apply that logic then to Laville, Candella, Hierro etc? :conf:
Not at all. I certainly wouldn't be remembering him as being as good as any of them. They were all pretty short term players with us. Laville was very good before his injury but never really came back, Candela was very good but didn't want to stay and Hierro, a magnificent player, retired from football after his spell with us. None of them really relate to J.O.B's continuous injury spells or long career with us. Bish claimed he's played fifty games for us, but that's over seven years. That was my point.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:15 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Not at all. I certainly wouldn't be remembering him as being as good as any of them. They were all pretty short term players with us. Laville was very good before his injury but never really came back, Candela was very good but didn't want to stay and Hierro, a magnificent player, retired from football after his spell with us. None of them really relate to J.O.B's continuous injury spells or long career with us. Bish claimed he's played fifty games for us, but that's over seven years. That was my point.
would you be surprised to find out that Joeyo played FIVE TIMES as many games for us as Candela?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:02 am

I wouldn't say that's anything to be proud of, considering Candela was with us for half a season and O'Brien made his first team debut 6 years ago and has only just been released
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:12 am

You're talking to thebish though boris, so just be careful of anything that can be taken completely literally

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:56 am

boltonboris wrote:I wouldn't say that's anything to be proud of, considering Candela was with us for half a season and O'Brien made his first team debut 6 years ago and has only just been released
not a matter of pride.. just that I think 50 games over 7 seasons is plenty of evidence for any one of us to have formed an opinion - good or ill - of O'Brien. TD was suggesting that joey hadn't played enough for any of us to have an opinion... perhaps you agree with Tango?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:59 am

Some people may.. Though I am of the opinion that he is/was shit

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:04 pm

boltonboris wrote:Some people may.. Though I am of the opinion that he is/was shit
I don't think he was good enough to earn a new contract... and I also think you and I have had plenty of evidence to come to that opinion (which was where I disagreed with Tango). I'm sorry to have to break the news to you - but it appears you and I are pretty much in agreement :wink:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:13 pm

I don't agree

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:14 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
You missed my point Tango. You claim that given how few games O'Brien played you're surprised that anyone could have formed an opinion. The players I mentioned played even fewer games for us, therefore, my question was as to whether you'd apply that same logic (ie. being unable to form an opinion one way or t'other) and not as to whether or not O'Brien was as good as any of them. Given that in your answer you give an opinion on all three then the actual answer is 'clearly not'.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:45 pm

Bruce strikes again

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:04 pm

When I worked in Sheffield I remember a good few Wednesday fans claiming he was the best player they have ever had on loan.

Never impressed me in the 1st team for Bolton.

Choppers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Choppers » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:02 am

Always thought he had huge potential, destroyed by injury.

If he hadn't been so injured, all the time, I think he'd have been a superb premiership midfielder.

Also, Big Sam = LOL.

Signings so far for West Ham:

Kevin Nolan, Ex Bolton Captain.
Abdoulaye Faye, Ex Bolton.
Eidur Gudjohnssen, Ex Bolton.
Matt Taylor, Ex Bolton.
Joey O'Brien, Ex Bolton.

Seriously Sam, why did you leave mate?
http://www.godisageek.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | A Videogame Site With A Difference
http://www.twitter.com/jebusf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; | Twitter

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:26 am

FAO of Choppers - Eidur signed for AEK Athens

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:50 am

All the players you mentioned there, will be very good signings for West Ham..

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:08 pm

Faye and Nolan will be excellent signings. JOB won't be fit, but if he is he'll be a very solid signing, they haven't signed Eidur, and Matt Taylor??
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:50 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:FAO of Choppers - Eidur signed for AEK Athens
Doesn't the 'O' on FAO stand for 'of' anyway?

Maybe the O in O'Brien does too...?

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:28 am

oh dear jimmy

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:26 am

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:
Lofthouse Lower wrote:FAO of Choppers - Eidur signed for AEK Athens
Doesn't the 'O' on FAO stand for 'of' anyway?
I did notice that particular spot of tautology, missen! No neeeeeeeeeeed :whack:

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:27 am

It was intentional you knobs

:shakey: