Sconny Botland

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Sconny Botland

Post by The Axman » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:42 pm

I'm off to Sconny Botland for a well deserved fortnight's break (I'd prefer somewhere warm but my dog doesn't like flying (more precisely, she doesn't like hanging around for 6 months after flying)).

Apart from the Weegie Bores (Rangers/Celtic) and the Neigh-din-burg Wallies (Hearts) are there any decent footy clubs up in the back of beyond that it might be worth while dropping in on to watch a game. Will be travelling up on 22nd and down on 5th, so weekend of 29th Oct would be ideal.

How about Maccabi Inverness Caledonian MacBrayne Thistles for instance? (I'll be up in the arctic NW).

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Re: Sconny Botland

Post by Little Green Man » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:00 pm

Here's a map of all the Scottish league clubs. None are in the north-west. The closest two are Ross County and Inverness Caley Thistle. If you can get to Inverness on the 29th they're playing the mighty Motherwell who currently lie second in the league ahead of Celtic. Thistle are bottom.

http://www.myfootygrounds.co.uk/AreaMap ... w=SCOTLAND

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:05 pm

Little Green Man wrote:Here's a map of all the Scottish league clubs. None are in the north-west. The closest two are Ross County and Inverness Caley Thistle. If you can get to Inverness on the 29th they're playing the mighty Motherwell who currently lie second in the league ahead of Celtic. Thistle are bottom.

Cheers, that's perfect. Inverness it is then. Mucho Gracias/Slange var

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:39 pm

May I humbly refer you to my piece on Scotch footba' from 18 months ago on here....

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/wh ... nhousemuir" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Read in conjunction with the map supplied & you'll be fine.

Just remember, Scottish Div 2 = NW Counties League Reserve standard & you can't go far wrong.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:12 pm

bobo the clown wrote:May I humbly refer you to my piece on Scotch footba' from 18 months ago on here....

http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/bolton/wh ... nhousemuir" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Read in conjunction with the map supplied & you'll be fine.

Just remember, Scottish Div 2 = NW Counties League Reserve standard & you can't go far wrong.
He'll be able to take his dog into a Div 2 game. They've only just abandoned jumpers for goalposts at that level :D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:59 pm

The Axman wrote:
Little Green Man wrote:Here's a map of all the Scottish league clubs. None are in the north-west. The closest two are Ross County and Inverness Caley Thistle. If you can get to Inverness on the 29th they're playing the mighty Motherwell who currently lie second in the league ahead of Celtic. Thistle are bottom.

Cheers, that's perfect. Inverness it is then. Mucho Gracias/Slange var
Only if you support Ross County while you're there, they might be passing Caley on the way up next season.

Truth be told I haven't been back to Dingwall since 1998 I think. Heard it's gotten a bit rough since I grew up there, no longer the same place.

If you do go and it's shite, lie please. :)

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:15 am

Well, I did go: and a cracking match it turned out to be, so thanks again for the info. It didn't even matter that the Highlanders lost (and my new Scottish chums were sorely disappointed) because from a neutral point of view the match had everything. The ground was alright too - it even had goalposts instead of jumpers! Action in both halves (of the pitch, and the game), goals (five in total), near misses (at least three off the woodwork) and a final hoof that could have made it a draw - it really was action-packed.
I went over with a couple of 'friends' from near Gairloch... when I say friends I mean drinking companions I'd met up there (and who kindly supplied the ticket because their mate was in Florida) - thanks Dave & Richie.
By the way, if anybody is after a good pub in the NW Highlands, I highly recommend the Badachro Inn, the New Inn at Gairloch, or the Argyll Hotel in Ullapool (steer clear of the Ferry Boat - used to be good but is now crap).

PS I came across a new chant that I'd never heard before and was quite charming - I'll post a version on the Bolton Chants thread (after I've rebooted my computer... bloody updates)

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:33 pm

The Axman wrote:I highly recommend the Badachro Inn
A lovely place for a beer or two!

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:19 pm

The Axman wrote:Well, I did go: and a cracking match it turned out to be, so thanks again for the info. It didn't even matter that the Highlanders lost (and my new Scottish chums were sorely disappointed) because from a neutral point of view the match had everything. The ground was alright too - it even had goalposts instead of jumpers! Action in both halves (of the pitch, and the game), goals (five in total), near misses (at least three off the woodwork) and a final hoof that could have made it a draw - it really was action-packed.
I went over with a couple of 'friends' from near Gairloch... when I say friends I mean drinking companions I'd met up there (and who kindly supplied the ticket because their mate was in Florida) - thanks Dave & Richie.
By the way, if anybody is after a good pub in the NW Highlands, I highly recommend the Badachro Inn, the New Inn at Gairloch, or the Argyll Hotel in Ullapool (steer clear of the Ferry Boat - used to be good but is now crap).

PS I came across a new chant that I'd never heard before and was quite charming - I'll post a version on the Bolton Chants thread (after I've rebooted my computer... bloody updates)

Sorry, but everyone knows Scottish football is rubbish. Think you must have dreamt this.

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:43 am

fatshaft wrote:
The Axman wrote:Well, I did go: and a cracking match it turned out to be, so thanks again for the info. It didn't even matter that the Highlanders lost (and my new Scottish chums were sorely disappointed) because from a neutral point of view the match had everything. The ground was alright too - it even had goalposts instead of jumpers! Action in both halves (of the pitch, and the game), goals (five in total), near misses (at least three off the woodwork) and a final hoof that could have made it a draw - it really was action-packed.

Sorry, but everyone knows Scottish football is rubbish. Think you must have dreamt this.
Yep. Unbelievable. It's almost like they KNEW a Sassenach was amongst them. I think the Scottish FA recruited Barcelona and Real Madrid especially for the occassion of my visit. (That, and as I mentioned, bought a set of goalposts).

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:50 pm

Funny how no-one's jumping into this topic, just wouldn;t do to admit there wqas anything worth watching outwith the SKY propoganda.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:21 pm

fatshaft wrote:Funny how no-one's jumping into this topic, just wouldn;t do to admit there wqas anything worth watching outwith the SKY propoganda.
Aye, that'll be why no one's jumping in....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:13 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
fatshaft wrote:Funny how no-one's jumping into this topic, just wouldn't do to admit there was anything worth watching outwith the SKY propoganda.
Aye, that'll be why no one's jumping in....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yep .... coz all but about 6 clubs wouldn't be even Championship standard. Two, just about, could give the Prem a showing, but struggle even then.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:45 pm

ha

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:52 am

Fook me Lee McCulloch is still playing for Rangers. They'd struggle in League 1, and they're the 'best'!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Passionate
Passionate

Post by 2399 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:18 am

Stranraer!!!

That's my Scotland Club :D

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:38 pm

Any particular reason for that 2399?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:03 pm

"Stranraer???? In Scotland?????"

May the bridges I burn light your way

Passionate
Passionate

Post by 2399 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:44 am

Dunno why I like Stranraer, probably just from the Video game TIF2003.
And maybe where they are in Scotland (by themselves)

There is another club I go for because of that video game :oops:

I also used to think I went for Dunfermline Athletic but not as much as Stranraer.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:55 am

Dunfermline's where Big Country are from, so they piss it for me.
May the bridges I burn light your way