A Question of Memory

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

A Question of Memory

Post by The Axman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:06 am

[BACKGROUND]
Sitting in the pub last night 'discussing' football with all my mates. Three quarters of them think they're proper pundits, and as usual one of them comes out with a pile of shite, this time claiming that Phil Jones is one of the most versatile England players that's ever been. So (me being definately amongst the 3/4) I was about to counter with the devastating insights that a) he's crap and b) he's much less versatile than... when it struck - that dreadful moment when you realise that there's a hole in your head where a memory should be. Spent all night trying to retrieve the name of the most versatile England player in living memory and couldn't. I knew that the fella I was trying to recall had played in every outfield position available, but I could neither recall his name nor the club he played for. I know he's a figment from my youth, so he must have been playing late 60's or early 70's. :|
:zzz:
Anyway, woke up this morning and the name Paul Maddely of Leeds was bobbing on the surface.

[SO TO THE QUESTIONS]
1) Am I right was there a fella who actually has played in all outfield positions {striker, midfielder, centre half, right winger, etc. etc.}?

2) If so, was it Paul Maddely?

3) If Yes to 1 & 2, was it just for Leeds or was it for England too?

[YOUR TURN TO GIVE THE ANSWERS]

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Re: A Question of Memory

Post by malcd1 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:20 am

The Axman wrote:[BACKGROUND]
Sitting in the pub last night 'discussing' football with all my mates. Three quarters of them think they're proper pundits, and as usual one of them comes out with a pile of shite, this time claiming that Phil Jones is one of the most versatile England players that's ever been. So (me being definately amongst the 3/4) I was about to counter with the devastating insights that a) he's crap and b) he's much less versatile than... when it struck - that dreadful moment when you realise that there's a hole in your head where a memory should be. Spent all night trying to retrieve the name of the most versatile England player in living memory and couldn't. I knew that the fella I was trying to recall had played in every outfield position available, but I could neither recall his name nor the club he played for. I know he's a figment from my youth, so he must have been playing late 60's or early 70's. :|
Anyway, woke up this morning and the name Paul Maddely of Leeds was bobbing on the surface.

[SO TO THE QUESTIONS]
1) Am I right was there a fella who actually has played in all outfield positions {striker, midfielder, centre half, right winger, etc. etc.}?

I've done a bit of digging on your behalf as I was intrigued by your selection. I'd heard the name but in all honesty didn't know anything about him. It appears that his unique versatility was just at Leeds where he did indeed play every position apart from Goalkeeper.

He played most of his England games at right back but interesting was Bobby Moore's centre half partner when he made his 100th international appearance.

http://sporting-heroes.net/football-her ... roID=37244" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:34 am

malcd1 wrote:
The Axman wrote:[BACKGROUND]

[SO TO THE QUESTIONS]

I've done a bit of digging on your behalf as I was intrigued by your selection. I'd heard the name but in all honesty didn't know anything about him. It appears that his unique versatility was just at Leeds where he did indeed play every position apart from Goalkeeper.

He played most of his England games at right back but interesting was Bobby Moore's centre half partner when he made his 100th international appearance.

http://sporting-heroes.net/football-her ... roID=37244" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for that. Nice research. It's a good job I couldn't remember his name then, if he didn't play all those positions for England.

Cheers.

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:37 am

Ah. I see I spelt it wrong: Madeley not Maddely. :doh:

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:29 pm

Was it Richard Madeley?
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:26 pm

Andy Waller wrote:Was it Richard Madeley?
Richard :vomit:
Judy :vomit:
Richard & Judy :vomit: :vomit:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:25 pm

Their daughter.....:D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:01 pm

malcd1 wrote: He played most of his England games at right back but interesting was Bobby Moore's centre half partner when he made his 100th international appearance.
Since I left the UK in 1963 and only returned briefly for the 1966 World Cup I hadn't realized Moore was chiefly a central defender. In 1966 he was what we now call a midfielder, or linkman in Alf Ramsey's 4-2-4 team (I think he would have been called a left half then). Live and learn.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:49 pm

Paul Warhurst played in defence, midfield and attack.

Kevin Nolan played in goal at least once.

Even that Swedish fellow played wherever he was told to, I think he'd have challenged for fullback had we not needed him in midfield.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:02 pm

Julian Darby played in every outfield position for us apart from left back. (That was always the gen wasn't it?).

So being versatile is a blessing in disguise really.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:58 pm

Scott green was possibly the best "utility" player we've had?

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:11 pm

Andy Waller wrote:Scott green was possibly the best "utility" player we've had?
Yes he played in quite a few positions but he was crap in them all.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:14 pm

but a legend to those of us in the Manny Road North

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:19 pm

:?
What was the question again?
Businesswoman of the year.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:38 pm

jaffka wrote:but a leg end to those of us in the Manny Road North
I've corrected your mistake for you.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:13 pm

I'll make your front teeth look like Greenie's if you don't apologise for this slight against him.

Greenie for England!
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:49 am

Lord Kangana wrote:I'll make your front teeth look like Greenie's if you don't apologise for this slight against him.

Greenie for England!
Or, as they put every single time he scored, in the Bolton Evening News: GREEN FOR GO!

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:51 am

I haven't got past the Phil Jones is one of the versatile players ever for England. I think there is a lot of upside to Phil Jones but first he needs to learn how to defend. Watched a game earlier this season where Jones was in midfield and he was dreadful. I'm sure he will improve but he has a long long ways to go right now. Not sure he even deserves to be in the starting 11 for Man U right now.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:33 pm

Andy Carroll, although expensive, is one of the most versatile in the league.

He can sit on the left, right or centre of the bench and on the first, second or third row.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:46 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:Paul Warhurst played in defence, midfield and attack.

Kevin Nolan played in goal at least once.

Even that Swedish fellow played wherever he was told to, I think he'd have challenged for fullback had we not needed him in midfield.
Nat Lofthouse once played in goal and saved a penalty. Fact.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?