Next England Manager

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Next England Manager

Post by thebish » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:49 am

boltonboris wrote:Because his record is as average as any. The last time we went for somebody who'd only won 1 cup competition and nothing else, we failed to even qualify for a tournament.
and the last time we went for someone who'd won shedloads of stuff - we were absolutely fecking dire...

personal opinions about redknapp aside - he'd do the job as well as anyone and better than many.

after all - what is the england job actually about?

it's not really coaching - is it?

it's about picking a team - blending a flexible system - and motivating the players to play in that system

Harry is capable enough to do that.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:53 am

We were feck*' dire, because we have feck*' dire players. Capello was getting as much as he possibly could out of them. But that's not enough.

Same went for Eriksson
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:56 am

boltonboris wrote:Because his record is as average as any. The last time we went for somebody who'd only won 1 cup competition and nothing else, we failed to even qualify for a tournament.
England are an average team. There's no reason to have not have a manager who doesn't match that.
Perhaps it's time we all looked at it realistically instead of having ideas above our station then we can move forward. The FA, the players, the press & the generally speaking the fans too all seem to think we have this god given right to win every trophy and it's a load of old bollocks.

I think if we had a more realistic outlook we could maybe build on that and progress onto greater things. Y'know much like club level teams like Bolton did, Stoke did, Sunderland did and the rest of them did.

The FA want to quick fix it a-la Man City by throwing money at the problem. Unfortunately no amount of money will suddenly make Messi an Englishman so that approach cannot work. That £24million quid would've been better spent on developing better players, better academies and better managers for a long term solution.
Businesswoman of the year.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:00 am

Trust me, I'm realistic in knowing that as a footballing nation, we're not good enough to compete at the top. So for that reason, we need a proven world class manager to help get us to that level.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:04 am

Fair doos. 'cept that hasn't worked so far.

Anyway, Alan Pardew has apparently ruled himself out of the job. :lol:

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:07 am

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/952170 ... gland_job/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EX-SAINTS boss Alan Pardew has ruled himself out of the running to replace Fabio Capello as England boss.

The Newcastle manager was installed as fourth favourite with bookmakers, although still well behind Harry Redknapp.

However, the man who guided Saints to the Johnstone's Paint Trophy in 2010 has made it clear he sees his immediate future on Tyneside.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:09 am

CrazyHorse wrote:http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/952170 ... gland_job/
EX-SAINTS boss Alan Pardew has ruled himself out of the running to replace Fabio Capello as England boss.

The Newcastle manager was installed as fourth favourite with bookmakers, although still well behind Harry Redknapp.

However, the man who guided Saints to the Johnstone's Paint Trophy in 2010 has made it clear he sees his immediate future on Tyneside.
That's quite a pedigree.

Successful AND English.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:09 am

Cos the english players are all Billy Big Bollox then we'll never be able to use the underdog mentality as a motivating factor in coaching or during tournaments, therefore we also can't have a manager who are below the respect / profile of said players. So we're a bit fudged really from that respect.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:10 am

Anyway, the most natural successor to Fabio would surely be Grooverider.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:19 am

CrazyHorse wrote:Fair doos. 'cept that hasn't worked so far.
By what measure has it not worked?

As pointed out, Capello has a far better record than McClaren did.

Is it that Capello has done as well as any manager could have?

I don't know...but I suspect that may be it...

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:29 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

He has done as well as any manager could have, I agree.
McClaren was shite.
But Capello was shite too. Just the kind of shite that has a decent CV rather than an umbrella.
And without a doubt Redknapp will be shite and all.
So why spend £24 million big ones on a bloke who will achieve the square root of fck all when that money could be invested to try and sort out our long term prospects.

Anyway fck it. Doesn't matter really cos like I say the FA will get it completely wrong. Again.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:31 am

Pardew would be my immediate choice! :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:32 am

CrazyHorse wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

He has done as well as any manager could have, I agree.
McClaren was shite.
But Capello was shite too. Just the kind of shite that has a decent CV rather than an umbrella.
And without a doubt Redknapp will be shite and all.
So why spend £24 million big ones on a bloke who will achieve the square root of fck all when that money could be invested to try and sort out our long term prospects.

Anyway fck it. Doesn't matter really cos like I say the FA will get it completely wrong. Again.
My door is always open to the FA

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:55 am

Whatever.. We need to bring in somebody who will implement a certain style through the whole system. From u16's all the way to the first team. The same style of playing, the same coaching. The same mentality. Because we need to bring in players who can fit into the sryle we want to take forward (whatever that may be).

That takes years. Barca have shown it takes a couple of decades. Germany showed that it takes 4 or 5 years (granted, they've won nowt - but at least they look likely).

Bringing a manager through the system wouldn't be too bad. Somebody like Pearce, or Eastick. Partly for continuity, partly because they know the young players. they play an attractive and attacking style with their respective teams. They get decent results, too.

BUT... Would our primadonna wanker players immediately point the finger at Mr Inexperience as soon as they churn out a(nother) shite performance? I think they would...

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:00 am

I wouldnt be averse to sacking all the older shite off and play young hungry players i.e. most of the U21s feck it and step Stuart Pearce up as manager at 2012 with the remit of whatever happens get a bit of pride back and get the public caring again, and then after that see what we can do in terms of long term planning.
Don't jusy throw 20 million at some foreigner just because there's a tournament coming up.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:07 am

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:I wouldnt be averse to sacking all the older shite off and play young hungry players i.e. most of the U21s feck it and step Stuart Pearce up as manager at 2012 with the remit of whatever happens get a bit of pride back and get the public caring again, and then after that see what we can do in terms of long term planning.
Don't jusy throw 20 million at some foreigner just because there's a tournament coming up.
That's the key thing.. How many tournamets, if any, are the FA willing to risk 'writing off' in the name of building for the future?

They're run, over here, the same as Premier League clubs. All about attracting sponsorship and revenue for the here and now. All about TV money and shirt sales. Nothing about actually developing a footballing culture and ensuring future competitiveness

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:13 am

Shame though - i would have thought people would be more inclined to travel and watch, pay for tickets, watch the games, buy shirts, if there had been an injection of new found belief & pride as opposed to the usual 'lets buy a flag for the car and 3 for £18 on beer at Morrisons' . But yeah i guess the FA wont go for any of that revolutionary stuff, given their track record.

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:11 pm

I'd go for the 3 lions of Ian Holloway, Martin Allen and Barry Fry
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:32 pm

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:i'd go for that, he's never going to knock Barca off their perch so i think he's getting bored of that project.
Not convinced about that. Seven points clear at Barca, having played two more away and two fewer at home. Don't think he'll stick around long there but I'd not be optimistic of tempting him anywhere until the summer, when he can say he's won the Spanish League, and f*ck you, and f*ck off to all of Spain.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:35 pm

Are Real 7 points clear?? Shows how much i pay attention to the Spanish league nowadays...about as much as the scottish league !