Rangers are liquidated

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Rangers are liquidated

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:25 am

It's a pub league. Georgios Samaras plays started 26 games for the best team in it. Hardly anybody outside Scotland/Northern Ireland watches it regularly, and the vast majority of those who do watch it for one of the Old Firm teams. That far, far fewer people would give a shit should Rangers disappear seems a given. And, if I supported one of the other teams, I'd be voting them out. Not if I owned one, obviously, but if I supported one.

I'd rather watch Bolton win a Premier League watched by nobody outside England that struggle to finish every year but know we are in fact massive in Malaysia.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:12 pm

Prufrock wrote:It's a pub league[1]. Georgios Samaras plays started 26 games for the best team in it[2]. Hardly anybody outside Scotland/Northern Ireland watches it regularly[3], and the vast majority of those who do watch it for one of the Old Firm teams[4]. That far, far fewer people would give a shit should Rangers disappear seems a given. And, if I supported one of the other teams, I'd be voting them out. Not if I owned one, obviously, but if I supported one[5].

I'd rather watch Bolton win a Premier League watched by nobody outside England that struggle to finish every year but know we are in fact massive in Malaysia[6].
Let's disect this utter pish line by line will we?

[1] Nope, it's a member league of UEFA, and is in fact professional
[2] Charlie Adam plays in the EPL, has played for two teams, including a recent Champions League winner, and was transferred for a large 7 figure sum. He left Scotland a failure. Tore Andre Flo was a great success at Chelsea, a laughing stock waste of massive money in Scotland. If your point was a poor player left England and was a success in Scotland, maybe you should check out how many games Celtic played last season (clue, it was much much more than 26)
[3] So? Actually, this isn;t true, apparently according to Sky, 70% of their live output is viewed in England.
[4] vast majority? better look up those figures, you'll find that is way off, not even a majority, never mind "vast".
[5]Of course, what is your point?
[6]wtf?

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:15 pm

as wrote:
fatshaft wrote:
Relentless09 wrote:
a1 wrote:
Relentless09 wrote:It's a sad day for Scottish football, what's worse than a two team league ? A one team league
manutd won our league 12 times in recent memory.

that is (the league is) doin' ok.
Your hardly comparing the two ? The English premiership is more competitive than the Scottish league, in the premiership there's at least 4 teams that go for the title, in the Scottish league there is two. Rangers were deducted 10 points and at one stage were 20 points behind and they were still second !
In Scotland there's at least 6 teams that go for the title, sadly like England, it comes down to two every season.
Where you pissed when you posted that, Angus?

Or are you one of those infamous troll people?
Sorry Cedric, did you not understand what I meant?

To clarify, as well as the cheeks, Hibs, Hearts, Utd and the Dons, in fact Motherwell as well, are all looking at winning the league, just as Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal and Everton do in England, with an equal chance of success.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:28 pm

Not quite true.

In the last 20 years, Rangers have won 12 titles. The other 8 have been won by one other club - Celtic.

In England, the last 20, DMB's have won 12. The other 8 have been won by 4 teams..

So still pretty one horse, but more 3/4 horse than North of the Border.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:37 am

fatshaft wrote:
Prufrock wrote:It's a pub league[1]. Georgios Samaras plays started 26 games for the best team in it[2]. Hardly anybody outside Scotland/Northern Ireland watches it regularly[3], and the vast majority of those who do watch it for one of the Old Firm teams[4]. That far, far fewer people would give a shit should Rangers disappear seems a given. And, if I supported one of the other teams, I'd be voting them out. Not if I owned one, obviously, but if I supported one[5].

I'd rather watch Bolton win a Premier League watched by nobody outside England that struggle to finish every year but know we are in fact massive in Malaysia[6].
Let's disect this utter pish line by line will we?

[1] Nope, it's a member league of UEFA, and is in fact professional
[2] Charlie Adam plays in the EPL, has played for two teams, including a recent Champions League winner, and was transferred for a large 7 figure sum. He left Scotland a failure. Tore Andre Flo was a great success at Chelsea, a laughing stock waste of massive money in Scotland. If your point was a poor player left England and was a success in Scotland, maybe you should check out how many games Celtic played last season (clue, it was much much more than 26)
[3] So? Actually, this isn;t true, apparently according to Sky, 70% of their live output is viewed in England.
[4] vast majority? better look up those figures, you'll find that is way off, not even a majority, never mind "vast".
[5]Of course, what is your point?
[6]wtf?
I think you missed my point behind the massive chip on your shoulder! The standard of Scottish football is, IMO, shite. If you are trying to say it is even remotely close to the top leagues, you're talking bollocks. It is even less competitive than the English league, which is a stick Scots often use to beat the Premier League. I'm 24, and I wasn't even alive the last time anyone other than those two won it. Rangers went bust, got deducted points, and still finished 11 points clear of third!

That you have taken umbrage at, as is your right. Opinions and arseholes and all that.

My second point is that without Rangers it is a much harder sell. As an owner of a club I'd be wanting to keep Rangers in it so I've more chance of being on telly. As a fan, I'd want them to feck off to try to break up the duopoly and at least have a chance of challenging for the league. I'd also rather watch Bolton in a league which was competitive and shit, than 'great' and not. I do genuinely think the Premier League is one of the best leagues in the world. I'm also sick of battling away for a creditable narrow defeat whilst the other team pisses about with a £30odd million striker on the bench. I'd also rather see us in the top league than not. Seems I can't have everything.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:56 am

And it appears I was right, despite being pooh-poohed earlier in the thread.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:14 am

Rangers may be liquidated but they still knew that Big Jock Knew ;)

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:46 am

Relentless09 wrote:Rangers may be liquidated but they still knew that Big Jock Knew ;)
Can we please leave that bigotted shite to the weegies? And it's certainly not something that should be followed by a winking smiley :spank:

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:01 am

Prufrock wrote: I think you missed my point behind the massive chip on your shoulder! The standard of Scottish football is, IMO, shite. If you are trying to say it is even remotely close to the top leagues, you're talking bollocks. It is even less competitive than the English league, which is a stick Scots often use to beat the Premier League. I'm 24, and I wasn't even alive the last time anyone other than those two won it. Rangers went bust, got deducted points, and still finished 11 points clear of third!.
No, we don't. Though perhaps it does signify why you hold such patronising views. You'll find it's never brought up, except in defence of the uninformed and patronising "pub league" & "2 team league" pish that gets peddled by the ignorant like yourself.

Most Scots have a 'second' English team, becasue unlike yourseves, we grew up with a weekly MOTD equivalent that gave us one Scottish game, and one English game, and l;atterly have the EPL rammed down our throats. It's hard to avoid, it's familiar, and inescapable. Far from using the using the uncompetitiveness of the EPL as a stick, many Scots hold up the EPL as something that the SPL should be looking towards.

frankly how any fan can be pleased at what SKY has turned football into is beyond me.

Prufrock wrote:
My second point is that without Rangers it is a much harder sell. As an owner of a club I'd be wanting to keep Rangers in it so I've more chance of being on telly.[1] As a fan, I'd want them to feck off to try to break up the duopoly and at least have a chance of challenging for the league[2]. I'd also rather watch Bolton in a league which was competitive and shit, than 'great' and not. I do genuinely think the Premier League is one of the best leagues in the world. I'm also sick of battling away for a creditable narrow defeat whilst the other team pisses about with a £30odd million striker on the bench. I'd also rather see us in the top league than not. Seems I can't have everything[3].
[1] Again, goes to your total lack of understanding of Scottish football. Do you know how much each team outside the bigots make each year from TV? Do you know it doesn;t make up for the drop in attendance from matches shown, partly becasue they are now on TV, paertlky because they are always on at horrible o'clock. Do you also know that in Scotland, there is now a huge groundswell of fans who will not return if the cheats are allowed back in? Thought not, not that I had assumed you knew feck all about the subject, just that I was certain you didn't. Thank you for confiurming as much.

[2] So you have failed to grasp entirely, despite massive coverage of the issue, why fans of other clubs are so up in arms about the possibility of a Cheats Newco returning straight back into the top flight? It's got feck all to do with winning, in fact if stuffing it up the Hun was the motivation, then we'd all be wanting them back, with no money to spend, possible further points deductions, and no chance of European football, plus the inevitable massive drop in gates at Greyskull when they are not winning, further rubbing their noses in their disaster would be most amusing. THAT is not what anyone wants, they want to see institutionalised cheating properly punished.

[3] You can look at it any way you want, as a born Aberdeen fan, and adopted Bolton fan, I can tell you that there is very little difference bertween the clubs and how their sporting chances play out. A couple years back under Megson/Calderwood, I penned a piece on the Dons' equivalent of this place, where someone had compared us to Liverpool, I made a long list of points on how much like Bolton we were, the idiots were disgusted and laughed at my analogy, the more enlightened were alarmed at how poor Aberdeen had become as they saw the synergy only too well. Please don't think anyone outside of provinicial English towns thinks any more highly of Bolton/Blackburn/Wigan/Wolves/Stoke, than you do of the "pub league" teams you so pompously deride.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:06 am

You never used to be this easy to wind up fatshaft.
I guess moving back up to the third world can do that to a man.
Businesswoman of the year.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:16 am

That third world is part of an EU country, actchoolee ;)

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:03 am

He must really hate Rangers

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:07 pm

it always makes me feel slightly uncomfortable to hear Bolton fans slagging other teams/leagues as "pub" teams/leagues..

it kinda makes us sound a bit up our own arses - a bit arsenal/manU/Liverpoolish...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:31 pm

fatshaft wrote:
Prufrock wrote: I think you missed my point behind the massive chip on your shoulder! The standard of Scottish football is, IMO, shite. If you are trying to say it is even remotely close to the top leagues, you're talking bollocks. It is even less competitive than the English league, which is a stick Scots often use to beat the Premier League. I'm 24, and I wasn't even alive the last time anyone other than those two won it. Rangers went bust, got deducted points, and still finished 11 points clear of third!.
No, we don't. Though perhaps it does signify why you hold such patronising views. You'll find it's never brought up, except in defence of the uninformed and patronising "pub league" & "2 team league" pish that gets peddled by the ignorant like yourself.

Most Scots have a 'second' English team, becasue unlike yourseves, we grew up with a weekly MOTD equivalent that gave us one Scottish game, and one English game, and l;atterly have the EPL rammed down our throats. It's hard to avoid, it's familiar, and inescapable. Far from using the using the uncompetitiveness of the EPL as a stick, many Scots hold up the EPL as something that the SPL should be looking towards.

frankly how any fan can be pleased at what SKY has turned football into is beyond me.

Prufrock wrote:
My second point is that without Rangers it is a much harder sell. As an owner of a club I'd be wanting to keep Rangers in it so I've more chance of being on telly.[1] As a fan, I'd want them to feck off to try to break up the duopoly and at least have a chance of challenging for the league[2]. I'd also rather watch Bolton in a league which was competitive and shit, than 'great' and not. I do genuinely think the Premier League is one of the best leagues in the world. I'm also sick of battling away for a creditable narrow defeat whilst the other team pisses about with a £30odd million striker on the bench. I'd also rather see us in the top league than not. Seems I can't have everything[3].
[1] Again, goes to your total lack of understanding of Scottish football. Do you know how much each team outside the bigots make each year from TV? Do you know it doesn;t make up for the drop in attendance from matches shown, partly becasue they are now on TV, paertlky because they are always on at horrible o'clock. Do you also know that in Scotland, there is now a huge groundswell of fans who will not return if the cheats are allowed back in? Thought not, not that I had assumed you knew feck all about the subject, just that I was certain you didn't. Thank you for confiurming as much.

[2] So you have failed to grasp entirely, despite massive coverage of the issue, why fans of other clubs are so up in arms about the possibility of a Cheats Newco returning straight back into the top flight? It's got feck all to do with winning, in fact if stuffing it up the Hun was the motivation, then we'd all be wanting them back, with no money to spend, possible further points deductions, and no chance of European football, plus the inevitable massive drop in gates at Greyskull when they are not winning, further rubbing their noses in their disaster would be most amusing. THAT is not what anyone wants, they want to see institutionalised cheating properly punished.

[3] You can look at it any way you want, as a born Aberdeen fan, and adopted Bolton fan, I can tell you that there is very little difference bertween the clubs and how their sporting chances play out. A couple years back under Megson/Calderwood, I penned a piece on the Dons' equivalent of this place, where someone had compared us to Liverpool, I made a long list of points on how much like Bolton we were, the idiots were disgusted and laughed at my analogy, the more enlightened were alarmed at how poor Aberdeen had become as they saw the synergy only too well. Please don't think anyone outside of provinicial English towns thinks any more highly of Bolton/Blackburn/Wigan/Wolves/Stoke, than you do of the "pub league" teams you so pompously deride.
I'll find it is plenty ta. Heard with mine own ears.

[3] I don't understand where you are going with that up to the last sentence. You may well be right like, but I don't know what you are on about. The last sentence may well be. I never said anyone gave a flying fook about the provincial towns, only that the quality of football in the league as a whole was better. And I'd still rather watch Wigan-Fulham say, that two mid-lower end Spanish teams.

[1] I bow to your superior knowledge on. Obviously the Scottish TV deal is smaller, but I'd have thought it were still the biggest source of income for clubs? It dwarves gate money here to a ludicrous extent. Were it to be, then I can't see how losing Rangers is anything but bad financially. If attendances do make up a much bigger share then yeah, I can see that.

[2] I didn't pretend to say why the 'everyone' you seem so keen, at every turn, to speak for wants rid. I said why I would.
As for the institutionalised cheating. Sure, everyone looks at that and says 'yeah, we need to punish that'. You'd hope so anyway. I'd personally be more bothered about the inbuilt mechanisms that stop anybody competing with the top clubs (a problem by no means even remotely unique to Scotland, though perhaps most acutely obvious there). Fiddling the books isn't what kept Rangers finishing above ten of the other eleven teams in that league. Celtic seem to have played it by the book, and no-one can get near them. Sure the fanbase and the size of the stadium will always give the bigger clubs an advantage, but the TV deals, the sponsorship just compound it. And it is happening all across top level football. I can't think of one league, aside from maybe the current shambles that is the Italian league which is more competitive now than it was ten years ago. The Premier League may be an exception, but only because ten years it was so uncompetitive (Arsenal or Utd) and now two more billionaires have come on the scene.

Anyway...Scottish football, I wouldn't watch it if you paid me....(JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKE :D)

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:43 pm

thebish wrote:it always makes me feel slightly uncomfortable to hear Bolton fans slagging other teams/leagues as "pub" teams/leagues..

it kinda makes us sound a bit up our own arses - a bit arsenal/manU/Liverpoolish...
Oi! :evil:

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:55 pm

Arsenal of ten years ago I think the bish meant.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

plymouth wanderer
Icon
Icon

Post by plymouth wanderer » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:53 pm

thebish wrote:it always makes me feel slightly uncomfortable to hear Bolton fans slagging other teams/leagues as "pub" teams/leagues..

^^
Never get into an argument with an idiot. i'll bring you down to my level and beat you with experience

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:56 pm

I can quite understand a Scottish supporter defending their league. To them their team is obviously of equal importance as ours to us. Look how we stick up for the name of BWFC when cockends from other clubs come on here.

I agree with fatshaft...so f**k off. :)

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:55 pm

I admire your righteous indignation Mr Fatshaft.
but really... do you expect any English person to believe, really believe and i don't mean that sort of lip service,for public consumption, patronising sort of "believing", that anything non English can ever be remotely as good as something English?
its in bred into the feckers.
I'm a bluenose though theres been plenty of occasions over the last 30 years when they've embarassed me but there is no way they should be admitted back into the SPL.
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:47 am

Prufrock wrote:
[3] I don't understand where you are going with that up to the last sentence. You may well be right like, but I don't know what you are on about. The last sentence may well be. I never said anyone gave a flying fook about the provincial towns, only that the quality of football in the league as a whole was better. And I'd still rather watch Wigan-Fulham say, that two mid-lower end Spanish teams.
Of course you would, there's inbuilt interest and familiarity that makes watching your own league more attractive and compelling. I'll bet next season you'll watch a ton of televised Championship games, I certainly will, becasue they will now be relevant to how Bolton fare, I've probably watched, erm well absolutely no Championship games ever before now. Vested interest you see.
Prufrock wrote:[1] I bow to your superior knowledge on. Obviously the Scottish TV deal is smaller, but I'd have thought it were still the biggest source of income for clubs? It dwarves gate money here to a ludicrous extent. Were it to be, then I can't see how losing Rangers is anything but bad financially. If attendances do make up a much bigger share then yeah, I can see that.
Most of the money goes to the bigots, no-one else makes a million a season out of it. You get it now?
Prufrock wrote:[2] I didn't pretend to say why the 'everyone' you seem so keen, at every turn, to speak for wants rid. I said why I would.
As for the institutionalised cheating. Sure, everyone looks at that and says 'yeah, we need to punish that'. You'd hope so anyway. I'd personally be more bothered about the inbuilt mechanisms that stop anybody competing with the top clubs (a problem by no means even remotely unique to Scotland, though perhaps most acutely obvious there). Fiddling the books isn't what kept Rangers finishing above ten of the other eleven teams in that league. Celtic seem to have played it by the book, and no-one can get near them. Sure the fanbase and the size of the stadium will always give the bigger clubs an advantage, but the TV deals, the sponsorship just compound it. And it is happening all across top level football. I can't think of one league, aside from maybe the current shambles that is the Italian league which is more competitive now than it was ten years ago. The Premier League may be an exception, but only because ten years it was so uncompetitive (Arsenal or Utd) and now two more billionaires have come on the scene.

Anyway...Scottish football, I wouldn't watch it if you paid me....(JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKE :D)
See, total lack of awareness of anything but your own league. So none of the French, Dutch or GErman league shave improived over the last decade? Have you seen how competitive they have become? Well clearly not.