Chelsea-LA Galaxy featuring Ben Haim

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:22 pm

Ben haim was poor on Sunday.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:26 pm

communistworkethic wrote:Ben haim was poor on Sunday.
You reckon? I thought he was OK considering he's in a new team and all that.

libreg
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by libreg » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:50 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
libreg wrote:This whole Beckham thing is pissing me off. Its making Americans look bad (well, worse). So much attention is rising up that its making us look like fools. To be honest, I don't give a rats ass about Beckham. The only thing I like about him coming here is that
1) Football is getting more attention here then before
2) There is a bigger crowd at games with beckham. NY red bulls game vs LA has already sold 40,000, and its a month before we play them. I just want to go to the game to see a European sized crowd, not Beckham.
Alexi Lalas is an (start british slang) absolute wanker (end british slang). Comparing MLS with EPL is one of the stupidest things that can be said by anyone, behind George W Bush is a good president. Not only that, but LA is the second worst team in the MLS. Bastards.
They were selling tickets in Tornto for $1000 and Becks didn't play. That sort of thing will turn people of "soccer" not on.
?! They were selling them for $1000?! In NY, the tickets are regular price when Beckham comes here.
And yeah, I'm not happy with Ben Haim's perfomance in chelsea so far either. But he'll get better.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:18 pm

libreg wrote: (start british slang) absolute wanker (end british slang).
Ah, a splendid effort, Sir. Now then, when you play Beckham's lot you need to get everybody singing to the tune of Guantanamera, "Down with the Salt Lake. Yerr goin' down with the Salt Lake".

That should get you started. :wink:
May the bridges I burn light your way

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:20 pm

libreg wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:They were selling tickets in Tornto for $1000 and Becks didn't play. That sort of thing will turn people of "soccer" not on.
?! They were selling them for $1000?! In NY, the tickets are regular price when Beckham comes here.
Monty are you talking about scalper prices? If people are dumb enough to pay that, more power to the scalpers.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:29 pm

H. Pedersen wrote: Monty are you talking about scalper prices? If people are dumb enough to pay that, more power to the scalpers.
Scalpers? Is that The Washington Redskins? :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:42 pm

if people are paying stupid money for a football game purely to see one player then more fool them. It just shows they haven't got a clue. Do they expect players to never be injured? Especially ones who've just finished a full season?

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:45 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote: Monty are you talking about scalper prices? If people are dumb enough to pay that, more power to the scalpers.
Scalpers? Is that The Washington Redskins? :?
Scalper = someone who buys a ticket with the intention of re-selling at a higher price. Don't know what you would call them.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:47 pm

We'd call them 'touts' here. Or scum of the earth, whatever's easier.
Businesswoman of the year.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:48 pm

touts
keen-eyed-businessmen
scousers

take you pick

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:23 am

H. Pedersen wrote:
libreg wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:They were selling tickets in Tornto for $1000 and Becks didn't play. That sort of thing will turn people of "soccer" not on.
Monty are you talking about scalper prices? If people are dumb enough to pay that, more power to the scalpers.
I heard it on the radio so didn't get the full context - but I assume it must be the scalper price (over the internet). Apparently they were still trying to get half that once they knew Beckham was not playing. The National Post wrote before the match:
Will he or won't he is wreaking havoc on the pocket books of soccer scalpers who are scrambling to unload tickets to the L.A. Galaxy match in Toronto that may or may not feature David Beckham on the pitch.

Craigslist Toronto was a virtual tug-of-war yesterday, as ticket sellers tried to lure fanatics of the English star while others warned against getting duped.

One seller advertised seats that would be "perfect to watch Becks take his corner kicks and see him play down his right flank," but later admitted he thinks the star is unlikely to play.

"I say to hell with the scalpers who are still trying to get $300, $400 or even $500 for tickets knowing Beckham will not play. Why would L.A. risk a serious injury to its star player," one user posted.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

libreg
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by libreg » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:04 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
libreg wrote: (start british slang) absolute wanker (end british slang).
Ah, a splendid effort, Sir. Now then, when you play Beckham's lot you need to get everybody singing to the tune of Guantanamera, "Down with the Salt Lake. Yerr goin' down with the Salt Lake".

That should get you started. :wink:
Thank you, I tried.
And yes, I will do just that.

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:52 am

I always enjoy seeing that prick Rooney being wound up by Tal Ben Haim, good to se that despite him playing for a new side he still carries that one on.