Keegan appointed Newcastle manager

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:47 pm

We could be in real danger if Barton gets told by Keegan to play attacking.....ABH, GBH, Wounding with intent etc...wonder what he'll make of FSA's flair signings?

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:36 pm

what a ridiculous thing

it's like us going back to Rioch (which I actually shouted for when Todd was sacked)

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:41 pm

Oh my god.....have they lost their collective minds?

Still, we'll get tw*tted on saturday, then they will proceed to lose every away game 4-3, and win all their home games 4-3, going nowhere with hair-brained gung-ho, thoughtless football, winning nothing.

But isn't that what their fans say their club 'is all about'?

A bit of Nietzche required here, methinks:

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."

very apt. :crazy:
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:10 pm

Heeeeeeeeeeeeee was a wise man
They compare Steve McManaman to Steve Heighway and he's nothing like him, but I can see why - it's because he's a bit different."

"Despite his white boots, he has real pace... "

"You can't do better than go away from home and get a draw... "

"He can't speak Turkey, but you can tell he's delighted. "

"There'll be no siestas in Madrid tonight. "

"...using his strength. And that is his strength, his strength. "

"Gary always weighed up his options, especially when he had no choice. "

"I'm not disappointed - just disappointed. "

"The tide is very much in our court now. "

"Chile have three options - they could win or they could lose. "

"That would have been a goal if it wasn't saved. "

"I came to Nantes two years ago and it's much the same today, except that it's totally different. "

"A tremendous strike which hit the defender full on the arm - and it nearly came off. "

"The good news for Nigeria is that they're two-nil down very early in the game."

"The substitute is about to come on - he's a player who was left out of the starting line-up today. "

"That decision, for me, was almost certainly definitely wrong. "

"I know what is around the corner - I just don't know where the corner is. But the onus is on us to perform and we must control the bandwagon. "

"Hungary is very similar to Bulgaria. I know they're different countries... "

"In some ways, cramp is worse than having a broken leg. "

"The 33 or 34-year-olds will be 36 or 37 by the time the next World Cup comes around, if they're not careful. "

"England have the best fans in the world and Scotland's fans are second-to-none. "

"It's understandable that people are keeping one eye on the pot and another up the chimney. "

"I'd love to be a mole on the wall in the Liverpool dressing room at half-time. "

"It could be far worse for me if it was easy for me. "

"Discipline is not only very important, it's crucial. "

"Young Gareth Barry - he's young. "

"Argentina won't be at Euro 2000 because they're from South America. "

"They're the second best team in the world, and there's no higher praise than that."

"You don't get two chances at this level, or at any other level for that matter."

"You're not just getting international football, you're getting world football."

"Kanu, a guy with a heart as big as he is."

"Luis Figo is totally different to David Beckham, and vice versa."

"Football's always easier when you've got the ball."

"They don't come every three days, like they come after this one."

"I want more from David Beckham. I want him to improve on perfection."

"The tide is very much in our court now."

"There's a slight doubt about only one player, and that's Tony Adams, who definitely won't be playing tomorrow."

"We have spent three matches chasing a football."

"It's no longer an 11 man game."

"The Germans only have one player under 22, and he's 23."

"For some it's the ultimate job, for the others it's the last job."

"I've had an interest in racing all my life, or longer really."

"We managed to wrong a few rights."

"We are three games without defeat is another way of looking at it. But if we are honest we have taken two points from nine."

"He'll also be very dangerous from set-pieces. That means he'll be a threat from free-kicks and corners in the final third of the field."

"Danny Tiatto is not going to make a mistake on purpose."

"I'll never play at Wembley again, unless I play at Wembley again."

"You need 88 points for the title and we've got 61 at present with 16 games to go, but if you set targets you limit yourself."

"We deserved to win this game after hammering them 0-0 in the first half."

"He's got a heart as big as his size, which isn't big, but his heart's bigger than that'

"Well, if that's true then it would be a big surprise, but then nothing surprises me in football these days."

"You get bunches of players like you do bananas, though that is a bad comparison."

"Not many teams will come to Arsenal and get anything, home or away."

"Nicolas Anelka left Arsenal for £23million and they built a training ground on him."

"As far as I'm concerned, Danny Tiatto doesn't exist."

"One team with destiny already decided..."

"Maine Road was a great football stadium but as time moved on it stayed where it is...."

LeeRoyBrown
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by LeeRoyBrown » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:14 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:FOOOOOOOKING HELL!

What a joke of a club.

Sorry but appointing a man because he built a half decent team a decade ago but won fook all and since then has failed in virtually every football job he has had is a complete joke!

However, it will galvanise those geordie bastards in the short term and I fear the worst for Saturday!
They want him because of his brand of attacking football, not just for success. Hence why Redknapps all out attack appealed initially and why Mark Hughes wouldn't get a look in. The Newcastle board made it clear that the style of football was essential in the next manager. :whack:

He hasn't failed in every job. Infact he was successful at all his jobs bar England. Promoted City back to the Prem, got Fulham on the road to Prem and perhaps should have won the league with Newcastle first time round whilst playing attractive football, hence why people wanted him as England manager. :whack:

It is a major step back. One which I don't think will be good for Newcastle or Keegan. A new younger manager would have been more appropriate. Good luck to him, always seems like a decent fella to me. Got his work cut out.

Lets hope we beat the geordie shite at weekend make his home coming a miserable one. :mrgreen:

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:01 pm

So it was just me who thought he was the worst choice for England manager BEFORE he got the job? :roll:

He's old news, and if he gets the barcodes any more results than the likes of Roeder, Souness and Allardyce could manage, I'd be, frankly, astonished.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:08 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:So it was just me who thought he was the worst choice for England manager BEFORE he got the job? :roll:
Good god no, there was dancing in the streets north of the border! :wink:

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:12 pm

fatshaft wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:So it was just me who thought he was the worst choice for England manager BEFORE he got the job? :roll:
I do wonder sometimes whether the FA is in fact a branch of some underground wing of the SNP, just to help those long winter nights pass a little more warmly over the border (and of course, give you lot an excuse to make inroads into the Whisky lake you have!).

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:21 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
fatshaft wrote:
I do wonder sometimes whether the FA is in fact a branch of some underground wing of the SNP, just to help those long winter nights pass a little more warmly over the border (and of course, give you lot an excuse to make inroads into the Whisky lake you have!).
Well, to be fair, not happy with Capello, he could be the guy to sort you out. Still, a bit of tax evasion might sort him out too :mrgreen:

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:22 pm

Keegan arrives at StJames. 5Live has been full of nothing but gush since the game started.

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:23 pm

They're now playing Football's Coming Home inside St James' Park - it's verging on hysterical up there, I think the city of Newcastle might fold in on itself and disappear up Keegan's backside when he finally strolls onto the pitch. Although we're not sure that's going to happen yet...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:23 pm

Tried to gather some quotes from round the t'interweb. Very sad really as apart from "get in" and "king kev" this was all I could find. The odd one is even fairly sensible :shock:
Strikes me as an appointment that lacks sound judgement - heart rather than head.
I think its what the fans wanted more than anythng. If his last few jobs are anything to go by, its not the best decision BUT he will instill passion and belief in the players, I'm sure of it.
meh. i'm underwhelmed, the guy had a near breakdown last time he was here, so what's to say he cope now. however, i'm sure the football will improve so it's a bonus on that front.
It'll be a boost, at least short term, there's no doubt about that. It's not entirely wise but I think it's more exciting than Houllier (and definitely Hughes), actually less risky than this absurd Deschamps story, and he's probably just about the only man who will be relatively immune to the whole Shearer speculation bandwagon. Unless things go seriously tits up, that is.
He's a serial bottler, with no balls. Maybe he should break into Albert Hall and nick one of Hitler's.

He'll be better than Sam, I hope. Needs a superd 2nd in command.
Thankyou God, I have a life once again now, let the good times roll. All hail the King.
I think he will need someone like Shearer to add a bit of steel to the management team - I can only think of one person like Shearer
To be honest, he was definitely not my first choice, but I think it's good we have someone with an affiliation with the club as our manager who is willing to play entertaining football. In a way it's a step backwards but we'll see how things go.

I am a bit worried that his passion seems to have disappeared. He seemed to have lost it all when we left City, especially with these "I'll never be a manager again" comments. However he must be really interested if he's willing to reverse his decision.
Cue the arrival in a helicopter!

Get Alan Shearer, Rob Lee and Stuart Pearce in as Coaches/Assistants. Job done!
Sit back you "numpties"and look on in envy at a passion you could only dream of.Fantastic appointment and the Toon is buzzin!!!!!

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:37 pm

Apparently the club shop have run out of K's due to the Geordie masses queuing up to get "King Kev" on the back of their barcode strips

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:41 pm

It is the purpose of Newcastle United fans to make the rest of the football supporting world feel better about supporting the clubs that they do. Once again the wankers have come up trumps. 8)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:50 pm

Batman wrote:Heeeeeeeeeeeeee was a wise man
They compare Steve McManaman to Steve Heighway and he's nothing like him, but I can see why - it's because he's a bit different."

"Despite his white boots, he has real pace... "

"You can't do better than go away from home and get a draw... "

"He can't speak Turkey, but you can tell he's delighted. "

"There'll be no siestas in Madrid tonight. "

"...using his strength. And that is his strength, his strength. "

"Gary always weighed up his options, especially when he had no choice. "

"I'm not disappointed - just disappointed. "

"The tide is very much in our court now. "

"Chile have three options - they could win or they could lose. "

"That would have been a goal if it wasn't saved. "

"I came to Nantes two years ago and it's much the same today, except that it's totally different. "

"A tremendous strike which hit the defender full on the arm - and it nearly came off. "

"The good news for Nigeria is that they're two-nil down very early in the game."

"The substitute is about to come on - he's a player who was left out of the starting line-up today. "

"That decision, for me, was almost certainly definitely wrong. "

"I know what is around the corner - I just don't know where the corner is. But the onus is on us to perform and we must control the bandwagon. "

"Hungary is very similar to Bulgaria. I know they're different countries... "

"In some ways, cramp is worse than having a broken leg. "

"The 33 or 34-year-olds will be 36 or 37 by the time the next World Cup comes around, if they're not careful. "

"England have the best fans in the world and Scotland's fans are second-to-none. "

"It's understandable that people are keeping one eye on the pot and another up the chimney. "

"I'd love to be a mole on the wall in the Liverpool dressing room at half-time. "

"It could be far worse for me if it was easy for me. "

"Discipline is not only very important, it's crucial. "

"Young Gareth Barry - he's young. "

"Argentina won't be at Euro 2000 because they're from South America. "

"They're the second best team in the world, and there's no higher praise than that."

"You don't get two chances at this level, or at any other level for that matter."

"You're not just getting international football, you're getting world football."

"Kanu, a guy with a heart as big as he is."

"Luis Figo is totally different to David Beckham, and vice versa."

"Football's always easier when you've got the ball."

"They don't come every three days, like they come after this one."

"I want more from David Beckham. I want him to improve on perfection."

"The tide is very much in our court now."

"There's a slight doubt about only one player, and that's Tony Adams, who definitely won't be playing tomorrow."

"We have spent three matches chasing a football."

"It's no longer an 11 man game."

"The Germans only have one player under 22, and he's 23."

"For some it's the ultimate job, for the others it's the last job."

"I've had an interest in racing all my life, or longer really."

"We managed to wrong a few rights."

"We are three games without defeat is another way of looking at it. But if we are honest we have taken two points from nine."

"He'll also be very dangerous from set-pieces. That means he'll be a threat from free-kicks and corners in the final third of the field."

"Danny Tiatto is not going to make a mistake on purpose."

"I'll never play at Wembley again, unless I play at Wembley again."

"You need 88 points for the title and we've got 61 at present with 16 games to go, but if you set targets you limit yourself."

"We deserved to win this game after hammering them 0-0 in the first half."

"He's got a heart as big as his size, which isn't big, but his heart's bigger than that'

"Well, if that's true then it would be a big surprise, but then nothing surprises me in football these days."

"You get bunches of players like you do bananas, though that is a bad comparison."

"Not many teams will come to Arsenal and get anything, home or away."

"Nicolas Anelka left Arsenal for £23million and they built a training ground on him."

"As far as I'm concerned, Danny Tiatto doesn't exist."

"One team with destiny already decided..."

"Maine Road was a great football stadium but as time moved on it stayed where it is...."
Are these quotes attributed to Keegan, Batty? Sort of like Private Eyes' Colemanballs?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:51 pm

no, they're Allardyce-isms, I just thought I'd post them here

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:55 pm

Some Geordie prick on BBC just said "glad we've got a true Geordie in"

erm, that 'proper Geordie' is from Doncaster......

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:02 pm

I think it's an insane appointment but we're going to get mullered Saturday.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:12 pm

Daxter wrote:I think it's an insane appointment but we're going to get mullered Saturday.
Mulleted, more like

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:13 pm

Another Geordie on Beeb with 7 KEGAN on his shirt :lol: