Anyone watching the Arsenal game?

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:50 pm

After seeing the above I can only hope he at leasts makes some kind of return to professional football.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

davroduk
Reliable
Reliable

Post by davroduk » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:22 pm

OUCH :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
TALKING BALLS AS ALWAYS

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:35 pm

Thanks for changing it to a link, Squaddie. I won't be clicking on it. :vomit:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:36 pm

Jesus, that is sick. I really hope he plays again, as apart from anything else, he's an excellent player.

Don't know how Martin Taylor can sleep tonight. Disgusting.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:08 am

Martin Taylor was gutted when it happened.

Yes it was a bad challenge, but really it's a freak accident when a leg gets trapped to be broken like that. Lots of similar challenges just knock players up into the air and they're fine afterwards.

Terrible for Eduardo - hopefully he'll bounce back, given that he's only a young lad.

But yes, I also hope that Taylor can bounce back too.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:55 am

meh, I've had worse.

At least Professor Yaffle has retracted his stupid comments about Taylor .
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:14 am

Daxter wrote:
I'm not having that, Daxter. There are few players more honest than Martin Taylor. It was a one-footed challenge and he got it wrong. According to Alex McLeish in his post-match interview the lad was absolutely beside himself, and I have no difficulty in believing that whatsoever.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:56 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Daxter wrote:
I'm not having that, Daxter. There are few players more honest than Martin Taylor. It was a one-footed challenge and he got it wrong. According to Alex McLeish in his post-match interview the lad was absolutely beside himself, and I have no difficulty in believing that whatsoever.
that aside, I wonder if dax actually saw the tackle or has ever played the game. Because I've seen it. I've been on the end of such and injury too and yet I really can't see how anyone wth a modicum of insight in to the game can see it and blame the lad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5aOkPgq ... re=related

this is a terrible injury and it is very possible that it's the end on Eduardo's career. But it is "one of those things", shit happens, Taylor shouldn't be villified

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:10 am

The attempted tackle acually reminded me of Bobby Moore's famous tackle against Maradona (though Bobby had much more success)

I really don't care if it was one of his players. Wenger had no right to state that the guy should never play football again. It's a terrible injury, but he was obviously going for the ball. No-one goes flying in, trying to snap another players shin, 2 mins into the game.

If it was upto Wenger, tackling would be fxcking outlawed. "The only way to beat Arsenal is to kick them.

Slight dig there much Arsene?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:19 am

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:The attempted tackle acually reminded me of Bobby Moore's famous tackle against Maradona (though Bobby had much more success)

I really don't care if it was one of his players. Wenger had no right to state that the guy should never play football again. It's a terrible injury, but he was obviously going for the ball. No-one goes flying in, trying to snap another players shin, 2 mins into the game.

If it was upto Wenger, tackling would be fxcking outlawed. "The only way to beat Arsenal is to kick them.

don't think it did.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:07 am

communistworkethic wrote:
Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:The attempted tackle acually reminded me of Bobby Moore's famous tackle against Maradona (though Bobby had much more success)

don't think it did.
Yes, you have got mixed up somewhere Soldier.

Maradona started his career in Argentina in 1976, and moved to Europe in 1982. He became a full international in 1977.

Moore played his last international in 1973, and from 1976 he was playing in the USA football league.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:09 am

sluffy wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:

don't think it did.
Yes, you have got mixed up somewhere Soldier.

Maradona started his career in Argentina in 1976, and moved to Europe in 1982. He became a full international in 1977.

Moore played his last international in 1973, and from 1976 he was playing in the USA football league.
Well some bugger tackled him!!

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:34 am

I've played the game thanks, and I realise it wasn't particularly malicious. He's not gone in to 'do' Eduardo as say Michael Brown did to Giggs last season. It's a late and forceful challenge that has unfortunately resulted in a horrific injury. What I meant by my comment was; first it was a disgusting incident, and secondly I reckon Taylor will have had a hard time sleeping due to being guilt ridden. Apologies.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:44 am

Daxter wrote:I've played the game thanks, and I realise it wasn't particularly malicious. He's not gone in to 'do' Eduardo as say Michael Brown did to Giggs last season. It's a late and forceful challenge that has unfortunately resulted in a horrific injury. What I meant by my comment was; first it was a disgusting incident, and secondly I reckon Taylor will have had a hard time sleeping due to being guilt ridden. Apologies.
Aye, of course that's what you meant. :roll: I'd get back to your GCSE English homework if that's the case.

And it's not even a "forceful challenge", he's going in from a standing start. as Hansen pointed out he's not hard a 20 yard run up and gone in two-footed. It's the angle, point of contact and Eduardo's impetus that combine to cause the break.

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:51 am

Hmm. I know what I meant. Phrased it wrong while writing a quick message. Oh well. Just hope Eduardo is able to return.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:05 pm

So you didn't play much in the Salford Sunday League then Soldier?

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:07 pm

Misunderstandings or whatever aside, doesn't change the fact that Eduardo is one unlucky boy who faces a lengthy lay off. Had surgery according to the beeb

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 261466.stm
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:28 pm

Daxter wrote:I reckon Taylor will have had a hard time sleeping due to being guilt ridden. Apologies.
Apparently Taylor went to the hospital last night to see the lad but he was still is theatre.
You know, if some were to tell me that we were in for Martin Taylor, my immediate objection would be that he's too nice.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:39 pm

Verbal wrote:Misunderstandings or whatever aside, doesn't change the fact that Eduardo is one unlucky boy who faces a lengthy lay off. Had surgery according to the beeb

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 261466.stm
depending on whether the break ruptured the skin, he'll have had surgery in Selly Oak before being moved, otherwise they'll have just xrayed him there and ensure the bones are reset and stabilised, plus dosing him with morphine . The surgery was to insert a Tibial nail and screws. This will support the bones while they heel. The leg is opened at the knee, the cap moved and the rod inserted. The rod is screwed at the knee and ankle.

The insertion of the "nail" is the preferred method for these injuries as it reduces recovery time, due to the fact that after about 2 weeks the foot is weightbearing again- well at least to a point. This means less muscle wastage, it's why break injuries are often said to be not as bad as tendon ruptures - the muscle wastage is tough to get over.

How long before he's back? It could be like Larsson, back in 6 months, or David Buust (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byOKCMQpxKo) whose career was finished. As I've not heard that the bone broke the skin, it's probably more towards Larsson, but the nerve damage could be the deciding factor. From personal experience I still have pain and numbness in my foot 8 years on.

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:42 pm

So Martin Taylor decked you n all?