Hughes For City???

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:52 pm

Blown his chances of managing United now, I can't see United ever taking an ex City Manager on. The fans would never accept it.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:54 pm

It's a statement I happen to agree with about Managers in general. In football terms, they're responsible for our points tally - how they go about it is up to them (unless, like at Citeh, you have Frank trying to make your signings). For this season, Megson deserves plenty of credit for managing a team that ultimately survived. 5/6 games out, when it looked like we might be heading for days out in Blackpool and Derby, there were plenty of people saying that it wasn't Megson's fault, it was mainly Allardyce's team with some Sammy Lee signings. The players attitudes were crap etc. etc. all of which I agree with, but none of which alters the fact that the buck stops with the Manager. He knew all that when he accepted the pay check.

I don't think it's any major secret, that I'm still undecided about Megson's managerial capability. I'm not actively seeking his dismissal (didn't join in the muppet demo's etc.), but if Blackburn offered us £4.2m for his services I wouldn't lose any sleep if we took the money. Not sure which of your options it falls into really. It just happens to be a statement that I agree with. So if Megson does well, I'll give him credit, if he does badly I'll give him a hard time.
originally i was prepared for colin todd 'meh'-ness ..

but he made some noises about bigheaded (?) people at forest thinking just coz they where at forest they were great "under brain clough it werent like this" and he seemed to be stating that we might go the same way if we didnt shape up. and generally saying things that were true , and generally coming off as an alright sort of person .. i began to think these rumours about him were secondhand stories from people (like at forest) that either didnt like 'work' (same sort of people allardyce would have bounced out) or didnt like him..

the west ham away game showed me he might know what he's doing.

the munich game for me could prove that he might be a genius.

i can see why the gartside/whatever-that-agents-called chose him , the sammy lee revolution mightve worked at liverpool.. But we needed a 5 big midfielders and clean sheet obsessed everyone up for it, playing their own part in the jigsaw , got to work your bollocks off just for that extra 5% coz these money teams will crush us by 4 otherwise, system.

i'd extend his contract by 2 or so years just coz if he gets 'it'. then why not ? might not be as good as allardyce (yet) but he's doing a good impression.. some of the players sed similar towards the end of last season when we werent winning owt..

all these mcleish/bruce/coleman/middle of road types all said no to it and TBH out of them i'dve probably prefered megson as he wanted to do it rather than taking a begging bowl to people who wouldnt say yes or no either way.

mcleish went down , coleman nearly did .

megson worked his arse off to get pretty good players here , the cahill story was pretty good indicator that we chose the right one. (think the taylor story was similar)

i still cant figure out why we stayed up , exactly , but its awesome that we did and megson mustve played a big part .

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:10 pm

FaninOz wrote:Blown his chances of managing United now, I can't see United ever taking an ex City Manager on. The fans would never accept it.
I don't know, they seemed to take quite well to ex City (and Liverpool for that matter) player Sir Matt Busby.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:21 pm

Tombwfc wrote:
FaninOz wrote:Blown his chances of managing United now, I can't see United ever taking an ex City Manager on. The fans would never accept it.
I don't know, they seemed to take quite well to ex City (and Liverpool for that matter) player Sir Matt Busby.
indeed.

They didn't worry about Brian Kidd being an ex-city player when he was alex's number two either.

Hughes is a Man U legend, if he turns city in to something like a decent team they'll accept him.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:04 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:
indeed.

They didn't worry about Brian Kidd being an ex-city player when he was alex's number two either.

Hughes is a Man U legend, if he turns city in to something like a decent team they'll accept him.
Didn't Kidd play for yernited aswell though?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:52 pm

aye, as did Hughes, hence my pointed as to them not giving a shit
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house