What? No thread about the league leaders? Shocking

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:07 am

Aye, I'm not sure its variety that the 4 Champions League clubs have only seen fit to pass the Premier League Trophy around the three of them, leaving the class dunce in the corner. Aww, come on Liverpool, theres room for one more on the gravy train.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:11 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Said it before and I'll say it again: good luck to 'em, rather them than Chelsea or the Salford slags.

Finished 11pts off the pace last season after getting two draws against Chelsea, two against Arsenal and two losses against the filth. Easier typed than done, but change those into wins and... well, you're getting there. Keep going; the league needs more variety. You lot winning it would be a start.
Indeed, reverse our results last season against the Mancs alone and it would've seen us above them, and one or two points off Chelsea (I forget how many). While it's not the be all and end all, it pays to take points off your nearest rivals (the proverbial six-pointers), and while the winners of that 'mini-league' don't always go on to win the title, it certainly allows you a little more leeway with your other results.

If someone said we were going to take 4 points from United and Stoke I'd've wanted us to beat the Mancs every single time and draw against Stoke; similarly last night wouldn't have been a catastrophe if we'd drawn having beaten Chelsea at the weekend - we'd still be a point clear at the top, rather than being level if we'd drawn at the weekend and won last night.

26 points out of a possible 30's a mighty fine start, but nobody wins the title in November. Many of you in the past have ruled Liverpool out of it before Christmas being 6 points back (and I've always pointed out that this is tosh), will you be doing the same now about Arsenal or United if they don't close the gap over the coming weeks? Of course not. Everyone had Arsenal nailed on for the league last year after the start they had, but they blew that. If we're still there around the halfway point in the league, then I'll start to get properly excited, but not yet. There's just far too far to go.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:02 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Aye, I'm not sure its variety that the 4 Champions League clubs have only seen fit to pass the Premier League Trophy around the three of them, leaving the class dunce in the corner. Aww, come on Liverpool, theres room for one more on the gravy train.
Four's better than three. Like I say, it'd be a start.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:12 pm

I'll happily take United and Chelsea winning it for the rest of time, if the alternative is Liverpool winning it.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:02 pm

Tombwfc wrote:I'll happily take United and Chelsea winning it for the rest of time, if the alternative is Liverpool winning it.

agreed
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:07 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:I'll happily take United and Chelsea winning it for the rest of time, if the alternative is Liverpool winning it.

agreed
Thireded

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:48 pm

Apart from Paisley sulking in 80ish cos we didn't entertain The Kop by conceding 5, I'd been a bit of a fan of Liverpool, not least cos united hated 'em

One performance on Sportsnight were Beardsley and Barnes, I think, destroyed Forest was as good as owt I've ever seen

However, Benitez has just turned me right off 'em

That and scrotey scousers
Sto ut Serviam

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:12 am

That opinion is so wrong it's hard to believe you are a bolton supporter... unless you are seventeen... all those years when we were scratching about in the third division, and all those bolton kids were scroting about the town wearing scum bastard scarlet, the only thing stopping their total feckin triumphalism, the only thing allowing us to have an ANNUAL feckin laugh at them, was their two-decade failure to win the league - in which Liverpool were instrumental, by winning the league themselves, or, just as often, losing it, but beating the unspeakable whores of stretford twice to make sure they didn't...

Believe me, from the terraces of away at Port Vale, I feckin loved em...

Want to stuff em stupid now, of course... :D

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:27 am

William the White wrote:
That opinion is so wrong it's hard to believe you are a bolton supporter... unless you are seventeen... all those years when we were scratching about in the third division, and all those bolton kids were scroting about the town wearing scum bastard scarlet, the only thing stopping their total feckin triumphalism, the only thing allowing us to have an ANNUAL feckin laugh at them, was their two-decade failure to win the league - in which Liverpool were instrumental, by winning the league themselves, or, just as often, losing it, but beating the unspeakable whores of stretford twice to make sure they didn't...

agreed. Though something is and has been for some time badly wrong with Liverpool FC. In themid- late seventies and early eighties the club and their fans had class. Great players and from what i can recall knowledgeable and self-deprecating fans. Now its like the failure to replicate that success has become a massive monkey on their collective shoulder. Sour, hostile, boring f'ckers.
Still prefer them to United though- but i hope they don't win it till that w'anker Benitez goes
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:22 pm

That's much more fecking like it.

How typical that it's a result that sends us bottom though...
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: What? No thread about the league leaders? Shocking

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:50 pm

blurred wrote:What? No thread about the league leaders? Shocking
Oddly not, it's a Bolton wanderers site, where Bolton Wanderers fans come on & comment about Bolton Wanderers.

On the area where there's scope for "Other Footy" it really would be reasonably to expect that it's generally "Other Footy" from a Bolton Wanderers perspective.

Occasional visits from Non-Bolton fans, around the time that they play Bolton is welcome and enlightening ... but almost 4,500 posts from a 'visitor' I find rather odd ... I really do. It's not my business why you come on here and it's not my place to tell you not to, so I won't, but don't you think it's really rather strange ??

Why the fck would we be expected to start a thread about another club from a city where they think anyone from outside it is an ignorant woolly-back ? About a team who's manager is a bad WINNER let alone a bad loser and, frankly, is a Prick.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:21 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Oddly not, it's a Bolton wanderers site, where Bolton Wanderers fans come on & comment about Bolton Wanderers.

Why the fck would we be expected to start a thread about another club
Click here

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:24 pm

bobo the clown wrote:Oddly not, it's a Bolton wanderers site, where Bolton Wanderers fans come on & comment about Bolton Wanderers.

On the area where there's scope for "Other Footy" it really would be reasonably to expect that it's generally "Other Footy" from a Bolton Wanderers perspective.

Occasional visits from Non-Bolton fans, around the time that they play Bolton is welcome and enlightening ... but almost 4,500 posts from a 'visitor' I find rather odd ... I really do. It's not my business why you come on here and it's not my place to tell you not to, so I won't, but don't you think it's really rather strange ??

Why the fck would we be expected to start a thread about another club from a city where they think anyone from outside it is an ignorant woolly-back ? About a team who's manager is a bad WINNER let alone a bad loser and, frankly, is a Prick.
What's the beef here. I expect this kind of drivel from WWays, but not here.
Viva La Portable Radio!

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:29 pm

blurred wrote:If we're still there around the halfway point in the league, then I'll start to get properly excited, but not yet. There's just far too far to go.
yeah there is that

as well as, you know, you not being good enough to finish above the other 2

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:08 pm

Go on then! (with acknowledgement to Wikipedia)

Chelsea Football Club, also known as The Blues or previously The Pensioners are a professional English football club based in West London. Founded in 1905, they play in the Premier League and have spent most of their history in the top tier of English football. Chelsea have been English champions three times, and have won the FA Cup four times, the League Cup four times and the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup twice.
The club had their first major success in 1955, winning the league championship. Chelsea won several cup competitions during the 1960s and 1970s, but did not win another major title until 1997. The past decade has been the most successful period in Chelsea’s history, capped by winning consecutive Premier League titles in 2005 and 2006, and reaching their first UEFA Champions League final in 2008.
Chelsea's home is the 42,055-person-capacity Stamford Bridge football stadium in Fulham, West London, where they have played since their establishment. Despite their name, the club are based just outside the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham. In 2003 they were bought by Russian oil magnate Roman Abramovich.
Chelsea's traditional kit colours are royal blue shirts and shorts with white socks. The club crest has been changed several times in attempts to modernise or re-brand; the current crest, featuring a ceremonial lion holding a staff, is a modified version of the one first adopted in the 1950s. The club enjoys a large fan base, with the fifth highest average all-time attendance in English football. Their average home gate for the 2007-08 season was 41,673, the fifth highest in the Premier League.

All fascinating stuff. Oh, and Benitez is a prick.

:mrgreen:
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:05 am

mofgimmers wrote: What's the beef here. I expect this kind of drivel from WWays, but not here.
Exactly. For what it's worth, Blurred clearly puts more time, effort and expense into following his team than most on here would ever consider putting into their support of ours. Personally I find his involvement in this site to be most welcome and his tongue-in-cheek humour to be, well, exactly that.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:44 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
mofgimmers wrote: What's the beef here. I expect this kind of drivel from WWays, but not here.
Exactly. For what it's worth, Blurred clearly puts more time, effort and expense into following his team than most on here would ever consider putting into their support of ours. Personally I find his involvement in this site to be most welcome and his tongue-in-cheek humour to be, well, exactly that.
+ 1

Yes, this is predominantly a Bolton Wanderers website, in my view this site is welcome to one and all. Ofcourse we won't see eye to eye with blurred on football related matters (bobo_the_clown, Benitez is a prick, 2007), but more often than not he offers a reasoned opinion on subjects.

Plus...where else are we supposed to get discount codes for Greggs, Waterstones et al?
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:46 am

William the White wrote:

With you on this one WtW. :mrgreen:

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:13 am

Verbal wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
+ 1

Yes, this is predominantly a Bolton Wanderers website, in my view this site is welcome to one and all. Ofcourse we won't see eye to eye with blurred on football related matters (bobo_the_clown, Benitez is a prick, 2007), but more often than not he offers a reasoned opinion on subjects.

Plus...where else are we supposed to get discount codes for Greggs, Waterstones et al?
Blurred is a welcome member of our fraternity. His posts are informed and entertaining. Long may he post. (Anyway, deep down he knows Benitez is a prick too!) :D
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:25 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Personaly, I'd rather have Blurred on here then one or two of our fans!
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!