Republic Of Ireland v France

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:20 am

Bruno wrote:Oh he'll be delighted, the seeding system was just another form of bias and cheating anyway. Shameful.
Indeed. I'm going to wager that the USA is in a group with Nigeria, Brazil, and Holland while Mexico draws Algeria, Slovenia, and New Zealand.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:02 am

Bruno wrote:Oh he'll be delighted, the seeding system was just another form of bias and cheating anyway. Shameful.
I don't know if you heard Liam Brady on the radio earlier but he was basically questioning the role of Adidas in all of this.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:05 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
I don't know if you heard Liam Brady on the radio earlier but he was basically questioning the role of Adidas in all of this.
Why - what did they do? Put the boot in?
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:05 am

Three stripes and you're out if the puns continue like this.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:47 am

I think they'd had a word with the trainer. :oops:

It was something to do with them making the French and German kits. To be honest, he just sounded as though he's a bitter man clutching at straws.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:01 pm

I agree with Bruno here. Blimey! :D

The introduction of a seeding system, when the qualification process of the World Cup was virtually completed, is the glaring scandal in all this. Not a dodgy penalty, a decision which I can see officials genuinely cocking up.

The seeding system stinks. I'm surprised none of the countries contested it when it was announced.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:29 pm

Bruno wrote:
James B wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:If I were the Irish FA I'd hire a PI to look into that referee's phone records. Five bucks says he got a few calls from Platini and Blatter lately. We'll never see video technology implemented; it makes it harder to rig games.
when he could have easily given a penalty about 5 minutes earlier and chose not to?

was one of those things. ref might have missed it completely with the amount of players in the box. linesman should have seen it though.
chose not to because it wasn't a penalty, anelka dived
so let me get this straight. the bent ref wouldn't give a quick decision penalty (which would have been a far less obviously bad decision than the gallas goal) because anelka dived? so one minute he is there to make right decisions and the next he is working on behalf of platini et al to ensure france's qualification? did he get 'the call' in the short space of time between these incidents?

embarassing

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:41 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:

The introduction of a seeding system, when the qualification process of the World Cup was virtually completed, is the glaring scandal in all this. Not a dodgy penalty, a decision which I can see officials genuinely cocking up.

The seeding system stinks. I'm surprised none of the countries contested it when it was announced.
Totally agree.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:05 pm

fatshaft wrote:

Totally agree.
Spot on there. Any fault in that call must fall mostly on the linesmen since they were in the best position (at least one was). Was shocked to hear about a seeding system introduced at the last minute to improve the chances of the better ranked and bigger sides. How do these people get away with this crap. They are so clearly corrupt and biased and yet nothing ever happens.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:49 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

I heard that. As I understood it, the ref was to blame (cos he was pressured by the seeding system), the linesman (likewise), FIFA (for the seeding system) and Adidas (not sure why!)- but not Tiny Tears Thierry....

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:50 pm

seanworth wrote:
fatshaft wrote:

Totally agree.
Spot on there. Any fault in that call must fall mostly on the linesmen since they were in the best position (at least one was). Was shocked to hear about a seeding system introduced at the last minute to improve the chances of the better ranked and bigger sides. How do these people get away with this crap. They are so clearly corrupt and biased and yet nothing ever happens.
Pretty much agree too. The only added point I'd make is, whilst I completely understand Irish frustration, I can't really see who involved in the match last night is to blame. I can understand folk being angry with Henry, but what is he going to do? It isn't his call to make, and with his country on the verge of qualifying he isn't going to turn around and say yeah I handballed it, that's if he knew it was as blatant as it was. I also think he deserves praise for sitting down with the Irish players at full time. Reminded me of Flintoff with Brett Lee. I thought the referee had an outstanding game, including spotting Anelka's dive, which wasn't nice to see. There was no way the referee could see the handball, and folk castigating the linesman are folk who have never had to run a line. I'm sure Zulu would sympathise. You'd hope the linesman would see it, but it's a long way across to the other side, with bodies in the way, as he is looking (badly in fact) for offsides, and it happens in a flash. It would have been an excellent spot.

The real villains yet again are the governing bodies who consistently manage to miss the point. Seeding? Pffft.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:56 pm

I totally agree with Prufrock on his comments regarding the referee and assistants in this incident.
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:05 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 368100.stm

FAI's lodged a complaint. Cant see it making much difference.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:06 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 368100.stm

FAI's lodged a complaint. Cant see it making much difference.
None whatsoever, I believe.
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:12 pm

"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:46 pm

Cheers for that I just entertained everyone in the pub with that page.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:01 pm

That wikipedia article is awesome, I like this part:
Football Writers' Association C*nt of the C*nts

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:07 pm

Well, much as it would be nice to see the French go out we at least have the benefit of not having to put up with months of sanctimonious "we all love the Irish" shite that would have arisen if the Mick's had gone through. Not to mention the unedifying sight of players who wouldn't know Galway from Cork yet suddenly discover that their great granny went to Dun Loughaire on a day trip when she was 7yrs old.

Plus seeing them wriggle on a stick throughout today has been quite funny.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:32 am

Unfortunately Henry will now go down with Maradonna as the greatest cheat of all time, Sad as he is such a good footballer, but it isn't the first time he will have done it and got away with it as most footballers deliberately hand the ball at times under pressure situations and so I'm sure that Henry will have done so.

It's just that this is a high profile game and infront of the World so has and will continue to get loads and loads of publicity for years to come as it is shown again and again in the continuing fight for video evidence to be used to get referee decisions correct. I hope that he can live with the shame.

As it appears that he has admitted deliberate hand ball as the video evidence clearly shows it, so at least FIFA should retrospectively automatically ban him or something just as they do for serious foul play misssed by referees.

What a mess football is in, and this case when taken with the seeding issue has not helped the situation at all.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:53 am

Prufrock wrote:I can understand folk being angry with Henry, but what is he going to do? It isn't his call to make, and with his country on the verge of qualifying he isn't going to turn around and say yeah I handballed it, that's if he knew it was as blatant as it was.
Wouldn't have made a difference anyway. After the infamous Samuel tackle, didn't Ronaldo tell Styles it wasn't a penalty? FIFA and UEFA have so artificially boosted the referee's egos that had Henry said "I handballed it," the ref probably would have booked him for dissent.