Stuart Hall

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Stuart Hall is:

An utterly irritating and grating tosspot who should have been pensioned off 10 yrs ago as it wasn't even funny or clever back then
60%
A lovable life-enriching character who brings a ray of sunshine and a dazzling wordsmith intellect to match reporting
40%

Total votes: 25

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Stuart Hall

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:21 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:A busted flush. Was quite amusing many years ago, but is now just an overly verbose, weary old tosser.
change with the times 5 live

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:16 pm

there are five votes in his favour - but no comments in his favour...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:29 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:What sort?
Ones that assault the nasal orrifices with a delightful odour of a tittilating tongue-tinglery spicy selection of savoury stupefication, of sublimely succulent salivating anticipation that sends the senses reeling skywards in ecstatic culinary plaudits. Er, Beef and Pork links. :oops:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:54 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Ones that assault the nasal orrifices with a delightful odour of a tittilating tongue-tinglery spicy selection of savoury stupefication, of sublimely succulent salivating anticipation that sends the senses reeling skywards in ecstatic culinary plaudits. Er, Beef and Pork links. :oops:
An absolutely vital word there. :D
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:30 pm

thebish wrote:there are five votes in his favour - but no comments in his favour...
I've not voted but if I did it'd be in his favour.

All the rubbish presenters, commentators, pundits and no-bodies on 5 Live, and you pick on the one person who doesn't take himself over-seriously and has a personality. :shock:

I can probably name 10-20 people on 5 Live who should persue a career in written media and leave my earlobes alone, before getting to Stuart Hall. But then I should probably listen to the radio less.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:29 am

He's a little Tinker ain't he: No, he's a complete knobhead. Just the sound of his voice makes me want to hit him, and that's before I've tuned in to what he's actually saying.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:29 am

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
thebish wrote:there are five votes in his favour - but no comments in his favour...
I've not voted but if I did it'd be in his favour.

All the rubbish presenters, commentators, pundits and no-bodies on 5 Live, and you pick on the one person who doesn't take himself over-seriously and has a personality. :shock:

I can probably name 10-20 people on 5 Live who should persue a career in written media and leave my earlobes alone, before getting to Stuart Hall. But then I should probably listen to the radio less.
oh - I have not singled him out alone for special comment - only last week I railed against the ubiquitous Richard Bacon on the "angry" thread!

my problem with Hall - and I'm sure he's a lovely bloke - is that his match reports and updates are really only a platform for a piece primarily about HIM when it is supposed to be about the game - he becomes the focus. It's a bit like the political maxim that when a spin doctor BECOMES the story, he has to go.

Bruce's example about him simply quoting Ozymandius and refusing to mention the game is a perfect illustration of what I mean.

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:48 pm

All the while Alan Green is still on the radio he's a national treasure!
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:30 pm

He's one of those blokes that can get in your face without you seeing him. He over-exposes over-exposure. When he was new and fresh he was okay, but the record's been spun far too many times. "You know what to expect from Stuart".
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:47 pm

Mind its part of a wider topic. The BBC's football coverage in general on TV and Radio is stale, staid, old fashioned and outdated.

You only need compare final score with soccer saturday to see an example of this.

5 Live is shocking. So slow with updates around the country. Ponderous commentators. Update is required.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:58 pm

Raven wrote:All the while Alan Green is still on the radio he's a national treasure!
fair point well made!

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:49 pm

I'll comment in his favour - I think he's ace. Granted when he's reporting you don't have a clue about what's going on in a game (probably why he gets sent to places like Bolton, Wigan and Blackburn quite often) but it's great hearing someone on national radio sounding like they've had an afternoon on the lash beforehand. Any more than his 2 minute updates and he'd start to grate, but for the moment he's great fun.

He did a brilliantly honest interview on Radio Manchester before one of the Christmas home games which was hugely entertaining, where he was saying the sorts of things more conservative football types wouldn't dream of. I say keep him, but leave him to the more insignificant games where nothing is going to happen anyway.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:12 pm

It's light-hearted and he's doing his job by describing what's happening on the pitch. Prefer Stuart Hall to Pat Murphy, who seems to misunderstand what his job is. Job at the West Midlands tourist board might be more up his street.

About Alan Green, I'm not a huge fan but he does try to keep his finger on the pulse. He's at least noticed that we have a new manager and are trying to play differently. He seems to like what Coyle is doing and he seems to like BWFC these days. Fair play. I like BWFC too! :pissed:
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:23 pm

jimbo wrote:I'll comment in his favour - I think he's ace. Granted when he's reporting you don't have a clue about what's going on in a game (probably why he gets sent to places like Bolton, Wigan and Blackburn quite often) but it's great hearing someone on national radio sounding like they've had an afternoon on the lash beforehand. Any more than his 2 minute updates and he'd start to grate, but for the moment he's great fun.

He did a brilliantly honest interview on Radio Manchester before one of the Christmas home games which was hugely entertaining, where he was saying the sorts of things more conservative football types wouldn't dream of. I say keep him, but leave him to the more insignificant games where nothing is going to happen anyway.
maybe that's what grates... I don't think Bolton games ARE insignificant - and I want to know what's happening!!!!

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:14 pm

Pork.
Businesswoman of the year.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:04 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
5 Live is shocking. So slow with updates around the country. Ponderous commentators. Update is required.
They have one of the best football shows/podcasts going though: the World Football Phone-in. Shame it's got the graveyard slot on a Friday night.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:38 pm

thebish wrote:
Raven wrote:All the while Alan Green is still on the radio he's a national treasure!
fair point well made!
Ah, yes.

Well, while Stuart Hall fitted 'T'words, Mr Green fits only one .... and though it END'S in a 'T' it starts with a 'C'.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:55 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:
fair point well made!
Ah, yes.

Well, while Stuart Hall fitted 'T'words, Mr Green fits only one .... and though it END'S in a 'T' it starts with a 'C'.
Competent? Consistent? Corpulent?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:58 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:
fair point well made!
Ah, yes.

Competent? Consistent? Corpulent?
First name is Emmanuel
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".