Bolton's biggest rivals

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

$huttgun
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Bolton's biggest rivals

Post by $huttgun » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:33 pm

I still think it is United. from a business point of view, the main rival to BWFC's market share and therefore revenue is united, because Boltonian kids who aren't brought up properly (as bolton fans) are more likely to buy united shirts than say bury, Blackburn or Wigan ones.

Just because the feeling is not reciprocal doesn't mean they are not Bolton's biggest rivals. I know Bury fans who hate Bolton and its fans like I hate United and its, whereas I couldn't give a toss about Bury and theirs. I think it's because I grew up in the Premier League era and our paths have barely crossed in the last 20 years.

BL3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by BL3 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:46 pm

The rivalry with Man Utd started in 1958 around the time of the F.A. Cup final when Bolton thought that Utd were milking the Munich tragedy at little too much in the lead-up to the game. It didn't help that Duncan Edwards had been poised to sign for us and team up with his cousin Dennis Stevens, before Matt Busby had hijacked the deal and taken him to Utd.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:03 pm

Them b*stards who wear the sign of the devil, end of.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:19 pm

I think we can agree we all hate the evil red scum but sadly we must be one of the few teams in the country that doesn't have a direct rival. Blackburn would be perfect but Burnley got their first :whack:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

RedStarBelgrade
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by RedStarBelgrade » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:39 pm

I think United fans couldn't care less for us,especially in comparison to L'pool and City. And yes,I agree,we must be one of the few teams in the country that doesn't have an arch rival.
We'll be back!

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:48 pm

I thought the United rivalry was dead as they don't seem to care about us, I would say Burnley could become a bigger rivalry this season and according to the Blackpool member that joined, they all hate us

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:15 pm

Relentless09 wrote:I thought the United rivalry was dead as they don't seem to care about us, I would say Burnley could become a bigger rivalry this season and according to the Blackpool member that joined, they all hate us
Burnley and Blackpool hate us - granted. But we don't hate them. Well, not as much as we should.

When I was a kid (a long time ago) it was United, Bury and Blackburn in equal measure. Still works IMHO.

I'm not too keen on those Wolves and Tranmere chappies either.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!