ALLARDYCE APPOINTED NEWCASTLE MANAGER

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Fri May 11, 2007 12:35 pm

Most of those stories are probably tabloid ballcocks.

BUT... it is possible Shepherd is using Sam as a way of attracting the candidates he really wants in... much the same way as players were linked with Bolton as bait for 'bigger' clubs. Equally it could be Freddie (an 'evil Humpty Dumpty' as a Geordie described him to me last weekend) is getting revenge on Sam for rejecting the job before by touting it to him with promises of milk and honey only to thumb his nose at the last minute and give it to someone else.

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Fri May 11, 2007 12:36 pm

ratbert wrote:Most of those stories are probably tabloid ballcocks.

BUT... it is possible Shepherd is using Sam as a way of attracting the candidates he really wants in... much the same way as players were linked with Bolton as bait for 'bigger' clubs. Equally it could be Freddie (an 'evil Humpty Dumpty' as a Geordie described him to me last weekend) is getting revenge on Sam for rejecting the job before by touting it to him with promises of milk and honey only to thumb his nose at the last minute and give it to someone else.
With echoes of the England saga to a certain extent.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 11, 2007 12:54 pm

I don't think Allardyce would deserve that treatment.

Interesting how many hats are being thrown into a ring we thought all but closed. It may well be closed, but if so there's hats bouncing off it.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri May 11, 2007 12:56 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I don't think Allardyce would deserve that treatment.
Neither do I, but I would raise a wry smile...he isn't one to shy away from the meeja is he?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 11, 2007 1:16 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I don't think Allardyce would deserve that treatment.
Neither do I, but I would raise a wry smile...he isn't one to shy away from the meeja is he?
The biter bit, and all.

But it would make Shepherd an even bigger disaster of a man.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri May 11, 2007 3:56 pm

like the murphys, and yeah agreed on freddy shep - seen that thing on youtube stupid liverpool fans driving along asking him if theyl sell owen, of course its all true

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri May 11, 2007 5:08 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:The Mirror reports today that Big Phil Scolari has thrown his hat on the Toon job.

That would make it interesting!
Really? Whose going to knock England out of the World Cup and European Championships if Scolari takes the job?

I'm guessing McClaren :roll:

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri May 11, 2007 5:11 pm

oh dear

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri May 11, 2007 5:14 pm

ratbert wrote:Most of those stories are probably tabloid ballcocks.

I doubt Shepherd is using Big Sam as a way of attracting the candidates he really wants. Take a look at the past few times Allardyce has been linked with the Newcastle job. Newcastle ended up bringing in Glenn Roeder and Graham Souness. Hardly astute signings.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Fri May 11, 2007 5:31 pm

Sam wasn't a free agent then, though, so had little to lose.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sat May 12, 2007 9:19 am

Nobby Solano wrote: "Sam Allardyce is a name that has gone around, although we don't know anything officially.

"Whoever comes, we as employees have to be available to do what he wants us to do. Bolton have a very direct style of play and it's one of the most criticised systems in the Premier League.

"Allardyce did good things there, but I don't think that the Bolton style would suit here.

"If he comes, I think he should change the style in order to suit the current Newcastle players.

"The fans deserve to see better football than what they've seen at St James' Park this year." .
sorry nobby, can't see a leopard changing his spots

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sat May 12, 2007 9:35 am

Bye then, Nobby!
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sat May 12, 2007 11:31 am

I love how the Newcastle players are even more deluded than the fans. feck off Solano.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Sat May 12, 2007 12:30 pm

From today's Newcastle daily paper -

Sam lands £12m deal

Sam Allardyce will sign a four-year contract worth £12m when he becomes Newcastle United manager next week.

United are facing a compensation claim from Bolton Wanderers regarding their former manager but Freddy Shepherd obviously believes that Allardyce is going to be worth every penny.

Shepherd is clearly confident that he has got his man after a leading national newspaper was tipped off over their meeting in Claridge's in London.

United could hardly have chosen a more public place to let the world know that they were meeting Allardyce, and it is in stark contrast to when they met Kenny Dalglish in a quiet hotel off the M6 when the Scot became their manager in 1997.

The Chronicle reported on Thursday that Allardyce would be unveiled by United in the middle of next week and this will be the case.

All that is needed is for Allardyce to mull over what happened in his talks with Shepherd yesterday and for his contract to be rubber-stamped at a board meeting at St James' Park on Monday.

And the fact that United have offered Allardyce a four-year contract rules out any chance of Alan Shearer returning to the club as manager in the immediate future.

However, what the immediate future holds for United is to see who Allardyce brings in as his backroom staff, although I expect him to offer Lee Clark the chance to stay as Reserve team coach.

Big Sam has always had a large backroom staff at the Reebok Stadium but with the question of compensation still to be sorted out, the last thing United will want to do is upset Bolton chairman Phil Gartside.

I have spoken to former United men Gary Speed and Neil McDonald this week, both of whom worked with Allardyce at the Reebok, and it would not surprise me if either - or indeed both - returned to St James' Park.

One of the things that has impressed Shepherd about the way Allardyce has worked at the Reebok Stadium is the lack of injuries Bolton have had in recent seasons.

Indeed, while United players have lost over 400 hours of playing time this season because of injuries, Bolton only lost 70.

And this was because Allardyce (right) and his backroom staff came up with a formula to prevent injuries before they happen.

United fans will wait to see how much Allardyce is given to spend but it will not be a lot as the club has never really recovered financially from spending almost £30m in one week on Michael Owen and Albert Luque.

But Newcastle have not been letting the grass grow under their feet on the question of new players, and the Chronicle revealed yesterday that a delegation from St James' Park had a meeting with top European agent Mike Morris in Monte Carlo on Thursday night.

Shepherd and Allardyce plus their back-up men met in Claridge's for three hours and it's a fair bet a lot of time was spent discussing Michael Owen's situation at St. James' Park.

And I have to say there is a fair chance that Owen will not be a United player come the start of the season.

That was the week, that was

Saturday: Newcastle United are beaten 2-0 by Blackburn Rovers at St James' Park - and there is a post-match demonstration by some fans against chairman Freddy Shepherd and manager Glenn Roeder.

SUNDAY: Roeder is summoned to St James' Park just before noon and the outcome is the parting of ways between the manager and the club. By mid-afternoon, news filters through that Roeder is no longer manager of Newcastle United.

MONDAY: The Chronicle's Sam's The Man front page headline (above) is beamed out on Sky Television by 10am and goes around the world.

TUESDAY: The Chronicle reports that Shepherd is ready to go to war with Bolton Wanderers over Allardyce about the tricky matter of compensation.

WEDNESDAY: The Chronicle reveals that both Sven-Goran Eriksson and Gerard Houllier are interested in replacing Roeder. And that United would probably miss out on Steve Sidwell after Chelsea and Everton moved in on the Reading midfielder. We also reported former United skipper Bobby Moncur's backing for Allardyce.

THURSDAY: The Chronicle said that United would unveil Allardyce in the middle of next week after a deal is rubber-stamped at a board meeting on Monday.

FRIDAY: The Chronicle reported that a United delegation had made a hush-hush trip to Monte Carlo to talk to top European agent Mike Morris, who did a lot of deals with Allardyce in his time as manager of Bolton Wanderers. Chief operating officer Russell Cushing is spotted at the Central Station at the crack of dawn boarding a train for London and things start to hot up.

SATURDAY: Pictures are revealed of Shepherd and Allardyce meeting at a top London hotel and there is now no doubt that Big Sam will be named as Newcastle United manager next week.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newc ... _page.html

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sat May 12, 2007 12:39 pm

I actually feel really sorry for Sam. Poor guy wanted to spend time with family and go to spain and get a tan and "just worry about sam allardyce really"... and now he has to have yet another summer worrying about transfer targets and contracts.

fecking diddums

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat May 12, 2007 12:42 pm

Look on the bright side, we'll get to chant about their boring long ball style when we play each other.
Businesswoman of the year.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat May 12, 2007 12:46 pm

Can't really see Gary Speed going back there anytime soon - didn't they decide that he was finished, and that they needed a younger and better model..... Nicky Butt! :lmfao:
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Sat May 12, 2007 12:53 pm

Assuming Allardyce is appointed on Monday, I hope any poaching of staff, buying of players will happen quickly. This can't carry on through the close season. I'll be glad when all this is over and the 2007/08 season starts.
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat May 12, 2007 3:58 pm

could someone dig out the match report from the newcastle game? The Newcastle Daily Paper in question, the Chronicle, has been one of BSA's biggest critics IIRC...

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Sat May 12, 2007 4:05 pm

I think it will be a tough time for Sam in Geordie land - they have expectations way above their station. Having said that, Big Sam deserves success (after everything he's done for the Philanderers)....I just hope that it isn't at our expense...
Smarties have answers.....