Champions League tonight

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 01, 2008 9:32 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
blurred wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:...and C) Chelsea were far the better team on this occasion?
I wouldn't say far better, but I have said they deserved it. Over the 180 minutes of normal time we were the better side, but they were better when it came down to the crunch in extra time, and so they progress. It's just one of those things.
The 90 minutes at Anfield you were the better team, granted.

But Chelsea were the better team for 90 minutes at theirs. And trust me, if you'd asked a neutral (say like myself) who had spent more on their first team, I'd say it was glaringly obvious last night. You can either take that as a slight, or a viewpoint.
Apart from a 25 minute spell in the second half, Chelsea completely pissed on Liverpool last night.

Mind Chelsea are a far better team than Liverpool so you'd expect it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu May 01, 2008 9:47 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:We'll not er, forget Kev Nolan's permanent position fro free kick etc, shall we? Let's also look a couple of seasons back and remember where he stood then, blatantly offside in the real meaning of the term.
But to my recollection he only does that on corners, where there is no offside. I don't think he's dumb enough to try it on free kicks. We're talking about Bolton here, linesmen aren't brave enough to make a controversial decision like that in our favor . . . unless we're already thumping a small team like Doncaster and it's irrelevant (ask Idan Tal).

Weirdest application of the offside rule I've ever seen was a Liverpool game where somebody played in Cisse, who was clearly offside. But he let it run through his legs, somebody else picked it up, and they scored. Evidently Cisse "didn't interfere with play" . . . good luck seeing that ruling for any team outside the Big 4. Anyone else see that?
Go back a while HP.(I'm talking under Allardyce). Nolan used to stand way offside to the extent that everybody wondered what the fxxk he was doing. It was a regular thing for a while as I'm sure any long-standing fan will tell you.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Thu May 01, 2008 10:09 pm

That might be ringing a bell . . . and then he'd pull up right before the kick?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 02, 2008 9:56 am

Leicester away, about four years ago. At a free-kick he and someone else stood yards offside, not in the keeper's eyeline but confusing the buggery out of the defenders. We scored and Dirty Cheating Bolton were cemented in legend.

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Fri May 02, 2008 10:08 am

And didn't a young Ian Walker look hideously embarrased behing a dodgy looking curtain of highlighted hair??

Whatever happened to him???
Nobody puts Baby in a corner

www.can-i-see.blogspot.com

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 02, 2008 10:09 am

Gertie wrote:Whatever happened to him???
You don't wanna know...

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Fri May 02, 2008 10:10 am

I think that was a midweek Sky game, the camera had panned away as Walker seemed to comfortably saved it and then the camera cut to SKD running off celebrating!
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Fri May 02, 2008 11:25 am