West Ham are complete failures! Let's all laugh at 'em!

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: West Ham are complete failures! Let's all laugh at 'em!

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:13 am

FaninOz wrote:People in glass houses etc etc.

What would most fans give to be managed by Sam and sit second in the league with good performances and results week in week out??

More people have justification to laugh at Bolton at present that Sam's Claret Army.

Good job there's still Blackburn.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:23 pm

BUMP...

Sheff Wed 1 - 0 West Ham

Megson > Allardyce

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:27 pm

You've just trumped Piers Morgan bish. Hats off, Bobo can have that one.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:43 pm

west ham went top yesterday...

chatted to the neighbour over the fence - expecting him to be happy... but none of it! he says they were all utterly depressed on the train home because of the utter shoite football that BigSam is serving up... "it's not the west ham way" (I resisted asking - "what? winning?")

(I tried to cheer him up by telling him they'd been linked with Zat Knight and Kev Davies! - it didn't work!)

anyway - he says we can have Nolan back anytime - he is unsure what it is that Nolan "does" except for shouting a lot and blaming everyone else for everything...

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:46 pm

Thats what he does. Don't really uderstand the confusion.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:48 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Thats what he does. Don't really uderstand the confusion.
that's what I told him!

(he has also scored 7 goals for them this season...)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:54 pm

thebish wrote:.... the utter shoite football that BigSam is serving up... "it's not the west ham way" (I resisted asking - "what? winning?").
Which was exactly BFSA's response on TV yesterday.

Said "West Ham hadn't played the West Ham way for years .... unless the West Ham way was losing coz they'd spent the past many years doing that".

Not designed to have the fans purring is it ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:57 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:.... the utter shoite football that BigSam is serving up... "it's not the west ham way" (I resisted asking - "what? winning?").
Which was exactly BFSA's response on TV yesterday.

Said "West Ham hadn't played the West Ham way for years .... unless the West Ham way was losing coz they'd spent the past many years doing that".

Not designed to have the fans purring is it ?

fab! :lol:

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:01 pm

He's right though. File it under the Liverpool/Spurs/Newcastle etc bollox. Its nonsense, they've been shit for decades, somebody needed to tell them.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:23 pm

Seems to be a common theme with some fans really. Detractors at Newcastle, West Ham, Blackburn and even here (likes of PT) shows them to be fools really.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:21 pm

Exactly the same conversation with a Wet Sham mate of mine on Saturday

Him ''The football's awful''

Me ''But you're top of the league!''

Him ''Yes, but the football's awful. We'll get shot of him for a better manager when we get promoted''

Me ''Oh for f*ck's sake''

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:33 pm

And then watch this 'better' manager promptly get them relegated
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:21 pm

boltonboris wrote:And then watch this 'better' manager promptly get them relegated

Well quite. But at least it'll be the 'West Ham way' :roll:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:34 am

boltonboris wrote:And then watch this 'better' manager promptly get them relegated
I think the hard faced buggers with cash involved may just find BSA's way the "right way" anyway we have never seen Sam in a job with cash long enough to see what he can build on solid foundations have we? The chance was missed with us and it's cost a hell of a lot more than the £20 mill he was suppossed to have wanted for us to be in the position of keep fighting off relegation.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:43 am

Hoboh wrote:
I think the hard faced buggers with cash involved may just find BSA's way the "right way" anyway we have never seen Sam in a job with cash long enough to see what he can build on solid foundations have we?
he splashed a bit at Newcastle, didn't he?

Jose Enrique, Claudio Cacapa, Joey Barton, Alan Smith, Nijtap Geremi, Habib Beye, Abdoulaye Faye and David Rozehnal = £30million

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:59 pm

Hoboh wrote:
I think the hard faced buggers with cash involved may just find BSA's way the "right way" anyway we have never seen Sam in a job with cash long enough to see what he can build on solid foundations have we? The chance was missed with us and it's cost a hell of a lot more than the £20 mill he was suppossed to have wanted for us to be in the position of keep fighting off relegation.
He wanted more than 20M and he didn't want to have to sell players....

So for all the Megson spent 30M he actually spent about 15M net over 3 seasons, when you take the sales of Diouf, Anelka, Nolan out of the picture.

Thats 5M a season net.

Not nearly enough to have satisfied Allardyce. We'd all be paying a lot more for our season tickets had Sam had his way.

What he wanted to do was gamble the clubs future because he'd gotten bored.

Thank God we didn't do that, irrespective of whats happened since.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:33 pm

You're going to have to add a few quid onto those figures, and knock a year off the timings.

Doesn't sound so good now, nor so different to Allardyce, does it?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:59 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:You're going to have to add a few quid onto those figures, and knock a year off the timings.

Doesn't sound so good now, nor so different to Allardyce, does it?
Missing the point. Allardyce wanted to blow in excess of 30M quid net in one season according to Gartside, without selling players, without a strategy of investing in players with sell on value and funded so by raising ticket prices dramatically, and plunging us into further debt, with the offset being the possibility of achieving a champions league place to balance the books out....

Now perhaps Gartside is talking rubbish, but the fact is that Eddie Davies wasn't prepared to do whatever plan Allardyce had. And Gartside told me that they felt Allardyce was "bored" and didn't expect Bolton to go anywhere near what he wanted and was therefore just looking for an excuse for getting out.

Whatever Megson got to spend net over time, it wouldn't have satisfied Allardyce and also wouldn't have fit with Eddie's determination to buy younger players with sell on values, something that to an extent Megson started with Cahill, CYL, Mark Davies and Coyle is continuing even more aggresively.

I sympathise that Allardyce felt he'd taken us as far as he could. But he'd stamped his feet the year before and was given 10M or so to buy Anelka and Meite. I guess they were in a position where they didn't want him asking for 20 the next year then 30 etc etc to chase the golden goose. In hindsight they were dead right....irrespective of whats gone on since!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:03 pm

Not at all. I would have trusted Allardyce more readily with the near £10m a year net that Megson got to spend. Which, interestingly enough, is the figure trotted out ad infinitum when people discuss the amount Allardyce was demanding in January 2007.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:54 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Not at all. I would have trusted Allardyce more readily with the near £10m a year net that Megson got to spend. Which, interestingly enough, is the figure trotted out ad infinitum when people discuss the amount Allardyce was demanding in January 2007.
Megson did not spend 10M a year net though for example, in his first window here in January e spent nothing net whatsoever. It was all funded by selling Anelka.

Would Allardyce have accepted that?

Of course not.

He wanted money up front there and then. Eddie listened and said he couldn't do what Allardyce wanted.

I think given that subsequently he's been prepared to back Megson then Coyle not just monetarily, but with support when we've struggled, suggests that what Allardyce wanted simply wasn't possible, or that what he asked for was just ridiculous to find a way out.

I don't know. But given where we are chasing the champions league golden goose was a folly, even with a good manager like Allardyce in charge.

One thing I will give Coyle is that if what he is trying to do with the youth setup and buying younger players comes off, and we manage to stay up for the duration he will leave a much more lasting legacy than Sam did. Sam left great memories but aside from Anelka he left no decent youth setup, no great sale value in the squad and not much in the way of potential to develop.