Altintop's goal

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:50 pm

boltonboris wrote: I've no idea about Iraq, I'd assume no, considering it's classed as Asia.

Enlighten me. Why does this video raise the question about whether or not Turkey should be playing in European competition?
Right, so who is classing Iraq as Asia, and what criteria would be involved in so doing?

It's a clip from a game in which Kazakhstan and Turkey are contesting a qualifier for the European Championships.

It doesn't sound like a particularly European game to me, that's all...
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:52 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
boltonboris wrote: I've no idea about Iraq, I'd assume no, considering it's classed as Asia.

Enlighten me. Why does this video raise the question about whether or not Turkey should be playing in European competition?
Right, so who is classing Iraq as Asia, and what criteria would be involved in so doing?

It's a clip from a game in which Kazakhstan and Turkey are contesting a qualifier for the European Championships.

Why though?
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:58 pm

boltonboris wrote:

Why though?
Because both countries have the vast majority of their territories in geographical Asia, both have populations the vast majority of which are muslim etc etc....
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:05 pm

boltonboris wrote:

Why though?
Because both countries have the vast majority of their territories in geographical Asia, both have populations the vast majority of which are muslim etc etc....
Even though they border with Europe? Since when did religious practice dictate which continent you're classified as. I read the the Ukraine is a predominantly Jewish country. Should they not be classed as European, because the majority of Europe is Christian?

I've put forward, what I believe to be facts based upon Turkeys rights/privilages (whatever you prefer) to play in European competition, spotring or not.

You've basically just put, 'Some of it creeps into asia and they're all Muslim'

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:13 pm

boltonboris wrote: Even though they border with Europe? Since when did religious practice dictate which continent you're classified as. I read the the Ukraine is a predominantly Jewish country. Should they not be classed as European, because the majority of Europe is Christian?

I've put forward, what I believe to be facts based upon Turkeys rights/privilages (whatever you prefer) to play in European competition, spotring or not.

Well presumably some part of Asia HAS to border Europe?

You've put forward nothing other than an (apparently) limited understanding of the politics involved in modern West-East relations and geostrategic significance of somewhere like Turkey!

And I haven't said that 'some' of these countries 'creep' into Asia - I have said that the majority of both their territories are in geographical Asia.

And I do think that cultural (inc religious) factors might play a part in classification, too.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:14 pm

I'll chip in here and say that neither of you are coming out of this in a particularly favourable light.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:16 pm

East Lower wrote:I'll chip in here and say that neither of you are coming out of this in a particularly favourable light.
The fact that you chipped in at all with a comment like that, makes you look a whole lot worse.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:16 pm

Not really in Europe. As a European Candidate they MAY be European in about 5 years time. I still don't understand Israel.

I guess it's complicated. :mrgreen:

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:17 pm

boltonboris wrote:
East Lower wrote:I'll chip in here and say that neither of you are coming out of this in a particularly favourable light.
The fact that you chipped in at all with a comment like that, makes you look a whole lot worse.
8)

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:18 pm

boltonboris wrote:
:arse:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:21 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:Image

Not really in Europe. As a European Candidate they MAY be European in about 5 years time. I still don't understand Israel.

I guess it's complicated. :mrgreen:
Indeed!

The other one is why is Armenia part, but Iran isn't? Other than the obvious nuclear threats? :wink:

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:28 pm

Europe, Asia...can't well all JUST BE FRIENDS?
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:05 pm

boltonboris wrote: Even though they border with Europe? Since when did religious practice dictate which continent you're classified as. I read the the Ukraine is a predominantly Jewish country. Should they not be classed as European, because the majority of Europe is Christian?

Well presumably some part of Asia HAS to border Europe?

You've put forward nothing other than an (apparently) limited understanding of the politics involved in modern West-East relations and geostrategic significance of somewhere like Turkey!

And I haven't said that 'some' of these countries 'creep' into Asia - I have said that the majority of both their territories are in geographical Asia.

And I do think that cultural (inc religious) factors might play a part in classification, too.
It's an interesting one. I think I tend to lean the same way you do Mummy, however, Russia then poses an interesting question does it not. It also has it's vast majority in Asia, even, like Kazakhstan, bordering China. Europe or Asia. In terms of real life, I think the decision has to based on a lot more than geography, but for international football the borders have to be drawn somewhere. Seems odd how they are done so currently.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:42 pm

I thought a small part of Turkey is technically in Europe? Just to stir the pot up like.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:50 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I thought a small part of Turkey is technically in Europe? Just to stir the pot up like.
Aye, Bosphorus is the border IIRC, but I think that's Mummy's point, the vast majority isn't, hence my follow up Russia question. Football is mental on those rules though, FIFA recognise countries that don't exist, and Australia manages to be 'Asian' despite there being an Oceania Confederation for which Australia must account for about 90% of the land mass.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:53 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I thought a small part of Turkey is technically in Europe? Just to stir the pot up like.
Have my newly aquired picture - posting skills all been for naught! Look up, man!

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:55 pm

So you agree with me then?

:twisted:
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

SonsOfThunder
Promising
Promising

Post by SonsOfThunder » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:57 pm

Well it's obvious why Israel is part of Europe, thereby ensuring that they will never do anything of note in regional competitions or have any chance of making it to the WC. Being a minnow in UEFA is certainly more appealing than the thought of traveling to away games in Iran, Syria, Jordan etc etc for the Asian Cup or AFC WCQ.

As for Turkey, I think boris makes a good argument for their inclusion. Just think of them as a being on the border and it makes a lot more sense.

Oh, and Australia joined AFC because there wasn't any competition for them in Oceania. In AFC they have a much tougher route to the World Cup, Confed Cup, etc. It was a step they needed to take to progress as a footballing nation. I think they've proved to be a good addition to Asia, being a strong opponent but by no means dominant in the region.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:07 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:So you agree with me then?

:twisted:
Sometimes.