Mancini

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Mancini

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue May 14, 2013 8:13 am

That prick Benitez will be available soon.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 14, 2013 8:58 am

bobo the clown wrote:To be honest he's never seemed at ease in the job. Always had to be looking over his shoulder.

They do seem to blame him for last summer's signings being less than spectacular .... not signing Van Persie especially.

The owners will "spend, spend, spend" but aren't willing to let anything build organically. So every manager will be in this situation I guess. As Abramovich is the same that spells a big sacking every year .... & we've not factored in the Interim manager at Stretford.
Who blames who?

Mancini has said multiple times that he wanted to sign Van Persie, but Man City have a weird structure where transfers are approved by some sort of transfer committee.....and the committee couldn't agree. So they dithered and lost out on Van Persie and a shed load of other top players.

The ones they brought in were not who Mancini wanted. The board and owners know this, but clearly don't care.

They're being run by a couple of Spaniards (acting on behalf of the owners) from Barcelona, who clearly want to run them like a Spanish club, where the manager is a puppet who doesn't make many of the real decisions, but definitely takes the fall for them.

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Tue May 14, 2013 10:54 am

The club said he "had failed to achieve any of the club's targets, with the exception of qualification for next season's Champions League".
My bold. But if they get in a manager that didn't get to those dizzy heights, as in Martinez or 'Arry, doesn't it sort of sound sour? 8)

edited for cock up
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 14, 2013 9:44 pm

They've signed shite (for the money). That may or may not be his fault. What is his fault is playing mental formations the players were never comfortable with and singularly failing to get enough out of squad that ought ought to have been miles better than United's last year, and still better this. Aguero last year was every bit as good as Van Persie has been this. He was underwhelming at Inter and underwhelming at City. He's wank (comparatively).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue May 14, 2013 10:00 pm

Prufrock wrote:They've signed shite (for the money). That may or may not be his fault. What is his fault is playing mental formations the players were never comfortable with and singularly failing to get enough out of squad that ought ought to have been miles better than United's last year, and still better this. Aguero last year was every bit as good as Van Persie has been this. He was underwhelming at Inter and underwhelming at City. He's wank (comparatively).
Certainly, he's no Mourinho but ultimately he won a Scudetto and the Premiership. The latter with City - a team who have cock ups written through their DNA. I think he deserved another season there.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Tue May 14, 2013 10:37 pm

Mancini must be laughing his tits off! 28 million reported pay off and I bet he ends up at Real Madrid when Mourinho Leaves.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue May 14, 2013 10:39 pm

ChrisC wrote:Mancini must be laughing his tits off! 28 million reported pay off and I bet he ends up at Real Madrid when Mourinho Leaves.
They gave him a 5 year contract last July !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Tue May 14, 2013 10:45 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
ChrisC wrote:Mancini must be laughing his tits off! 28 million reported pay off and I bet he ends up at Real Madrid when Mourinho Leaves.
They gave him a 5 year contract last July !!
Just goes to show what short memories people have in football these days!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 15, 2013 10:48 am

Prufrock wrote:They've signed shite (for the money). That may or may not be his fault. What is his fault is playing mental formations the players were never comfortable with and singularly failing to get enough out of squad that ought ought to have been miles better than United's last year, and still better this. Aguero last year was every bit as good as Van Persie has been this. He was underwhelming at Inter and underwhelming at City. He's wank (comparatively).
Hmmm. I think he has flaws. I'm not sure his tactical choices are the main ones. It sounds as though he struggled to get on with enough people as time wore on.

The trouble is that everyone will talk about the money they've spent but if Mancini didn't get full say on how it was spent (which realistically seems the case) then it's hard to judge him on that basis. Winning City's first pieces of silverware in donkey's years IMO should have earned him another season. I suppose that falling out with his players probably cost him that. Perhaps rightly so, perhaps not.

I actually think he's done a good job there, nay a really good job. He may not be the right man for the longer term but he's broken their trophy duck and league title duck, things that are hard to do. Even Ferguson really struggled with that and it was far less of a hurdle at Man Utd than had been built up by City over the years.

Interesting to see what happens at City. IF Mourinho goes to Chelsea well it could make it interesting. They have to get the next appointment right. I don't know enough about Pelligrini but as said on the radio yesterday it's a risk bringing someone in from Spanish football at a relatively late point in their managerial career!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed May 15, 2013 10:50 am

Am I right in guessing that Pellegrini hasn't won a major trophy?

Sorry. Winning things doesn't matter
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Wed May 15, 2013 12:02 pm

boltonboris wrote:Am I right in guessing that Pellegrini hasn't won a major trophy?

Sorry. Winning things doesn't matter

Wronggggg!!!!

He won an intertoto cup don't you know 8)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed May 15, 2013 12:24 pm

I wonder how the fiasco that was Mario Ballotelli added to his failure. Certainly jhe mismanaged him ... & I recall that some other players felt he always got forgiven, no matter what he did ,.. or how often.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed May 15, 2013 12:33 pm

bobo the clown wrote:I wonder how the fiasco that was Mario Ballotelli added to his failure. Certainly he mismanaged him ... & I recall that some other players felt he always got forgiven, no matter what he did ,.. or how often.
I think he lost a bit of respect from everyone there.. He had a reputation for being hard-line, difficult and dropping anybody who got on the wrong side of him. Except for Balotelli... I think he (Mancini) thought of him as a bit of a project to see if he could tame him for an ego trip.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Fri May 17, 2013 10:12 am

From the moment the money men came in, I said and still maintain, it's Man City. A disaster just waiting to happen...............