Anyone watching the Arsenal game?

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:32 am

singing eh? fancy that

when the scousers were singing steve gerrard gerrard i tried inserting a "he kisses the badge on his chest, he puts in a transfer request" and the whole west stand lower looked at me as if i was sat next to madelain mccann

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:57 am

hisroyalgingerness wrote:singing eh? fancy that

when the scousers were singing steve gerrard gerrard i tried inserting a "he kisses the badge on his chest, he puts in a transfer request" and the whole west stand lower looked at me as if i was sat next to madelain mccann

were you?
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:43 pm

communistworkethic wrote:

were you?
no, the guy i sat next to was wearing incontinence pants

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:46 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:

were you?
Batman?
Businesswoman of the year.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:01 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:

were you?
Batman?
well if people are gonna continue to buy him pints at the rate they are doing

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:46 pm

anyone stray onto ITV4 to watch them tonight? they were outstanding, though looked scared to score a goal

we'll get dicked on at this rate

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:51 pm

They were excellent, Milan just weren't in it were they.

Nearly joined Birmingham in the summer didn't he.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:54 pm

As good as they were, they were like a classier version of ourselves up until Milans keeper decided to see if he could save Fabregas shot by waiting until the ball was nestling in the net before bothering to dive. All the play, but completely blunt up front.

A better, more clinical side than Milan were would've beaten them tonight. Unfortunately we are neither, so yes, we're going to get dicked.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:15 pm

The defending champions have exited the competition in each of the last four years at the first knockout round - random stat of the day for you there.

spraggy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by spraggy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:56 am

best performance I've seen by an English side in Europe for a long time. Took Milan to the cleaners

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:48 am

spraggy wrote:best performance I've seen by an English side in Europe for a long time. Took Milan to the cleaners

BWFC vs Bayern Munich?
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:45 am

enfieldwhite wrote:
spraggy wrote:best performance I've seen by an English side in Europe for a long time. Took Milan to the cleaners

BWFC vs Bayern Munich?
think he meant apart from the obvious :wink:

Backgammon
Promising
Promising

Post by Backgammon » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:01 am

I thought it strange that ITV had put Utd on their main channel and tucked Arsenal away on ITV 4.. Surely the Milan Vs Arsenal game was the stand-out fixture?

Really enjoyed the game, and it was surprisingly open for such a delicately balanced game.

At one stage it looked like it could get really embarrassing for Milan, mind you I imagine that the 0-2 home defeat will be embarrassing enough. I wonder what the Italian press made of it?

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:03 am

Backgammon wrote:I thought it strange that ITV had put Utd on their main channel and tucked Arsenal away on ITV 4.. Surely the Milan Vs Arsenal game was the stand-out fixture?

Really enjoyed the game, and it was surprisingly open for such a delicately balanced game.

At one stage it looked like it could get really embarrassing for Milan, mind you I imagine that the 0-2 home defeat will be embarrassing enough. I wonder what the Italian press made of it?
I reckon that question may have been answered byt the programming after the game. Hamburger Hill followed by Manchester United: Football Great (or something like that)

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:51 am

Backgammon wrote:I thought it strange that ITV had put Utd on their main channel and tucked Arsenal away on ITV 4.. Surely the Milan Vs Arsenal game was the stand-out fixture?

Television companies do not choose games based on how good they think the game is going to be. They choose it based on the ratings they believe it will generate - in this region of ITV it was bound to be the Man United game (and across most of the country). I'd imagine that Carlton (or whatever the ITV franchise is down south) will have had the Arsenal game as their main game. That's what they always used to do, anyway.

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:28 am

blurred wrote:

Television companies do not choose games based on how good they think the game is going to be. They choose it based on the ratings they believe it will generate - in this region of ITV it was bound to be the Man United game (and across most of the country). I'd imagine that Carlton (or whatever the ITV franchise is down south) will have had the Arsenal game as their main game. That's what they always used to do, anyway.
Nope ITV4 down here, too. I watched the last 35 mins of the Arsenal game and thoroughly enjoyed it. I like Fabregas, if only because I've known him since he was about 16 and he was living with one of these women who takes the Club's foreign youngsters in (she had Senderos at the same time) Anyway, my wife (who was working with this woman at the time) tried to convince Cescy that he would have a better opportunity to play first team football if he signed for Bolton instead. Funnily, he didn't take her advice. :roll:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:35 am

enfieldwhite wrote:Nope ITV4 down here, too. I watched the last 35 mins of the Arsenal game and thoroughly enjoyed it. I like Fabregas, if only because I've known him since he was about 16 and he was living with one of these women who takes the Club's foreign youngsters in (she had Senderos at the same time) Anyway, my wife (who was working with this woman at the time) tried to convince Cescy that he would have a better opportunity to play first team football if he signed for Bolton instead. Funnily, he didn't take her advice. :roll:
Interesting - in the pre-digital days they always used to juggle their content between the various ITV companies; I suppose that's become more or less redundant with Freeview boxes, Sky Digital and all that malarky, though.

spraggy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by spraggy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:44 am

Well, the locals are not happy, but full of praise for Arsenal. This from the Corriera della Sera:

"L'Arsenal dei ragazzi non ha avuto paura dei mostri sacri del Milan. A San Siro i gunners si sono imposti per 2-0, con due reti nel finale. I campioni d'Europa in carica, così, non potranno difendere la Coppa vinta nella scorsa stagione, malgrado la fiducia del numero uno della squadra rossonera, Silvio Berlusconi, che si era detto sicuro di passare il turno e approdare nei quarti. Il successo dei londinesi è stato firmato da due dei talenti più brillanti: lo spagnolo Cesc Fabregas, autore del vantaggio al 40' della ripresa e al togolese Adebayor, che ha arrotondato il risultato allo scadere."

The funniest thing was seeing Berlusconi's face at the final whistle.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:45 am

enfieldwhite wrote:I like Fabregas, if only because I've known him since he was about 16 and he was living with one of these women who takes the Club's foreign youngsters in (she had Senderos at the same time)
Did either of them scuttle her?
May the bridges I burn light your way

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:47 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
enfieldwhite wrote:I like Fabregas, if only because I've known him since he was about 16 and he was living with one of these women who takes the Club's foreign youngsters in (she had Senderos at the same time)
Did either of them scuttle her?
They're professional footballers so surely it should be did they "spit" her :wink: