Benitez .... prick

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:43 pm

bobo the clown wrote:I saw the incident live. Whilst I'm not a fan of Benitez, I'm not sure disrespectful is the word I'd use for it...though I can see how people might see it that way. I'd personally call what he did arrogant, and lets be honest, Mr Allardyce knows plenty about that himself.
Given that he was looking at the pitch and not at Allardyce, how has this been directed to him, exactly? It could've meant anything, but was obviously directed to one of his players.

Not that Ferguson would do anything like direct celebrations to the opposition dug-out/fans, is it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YKPi3SvKIc

It's all a load of nonsense - quite why Ferguson has come out and called him 'arrogant, contemptible and beyond the pale' I just don't know. It was a one-second hand gesture whose intent/message is unclear at best, and he chooses to wait a week before talking about it. Strange.

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:11 pm

I think it's quite funny.

Managers SHOULD wind each other up.
Viva La Portable Radio!

jenkz
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by jenkz » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:14 pm

We all no red nose is slowly losing a few marbles
Nat Lofthouse:

“in my day, there were plenty of fellas who would kick your b****cks off. The difference was that at the end of the match they would shake your hand and help you look for them!”

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:21 pm

blurred wrote:Given that he was looking at the pitch and not at Allardyce, how has this been directed to him, exactly? It could've meant anything, but was obviously directed to one of his players.
Where exactly did I accuse him of directing at anyone? Either way, it was arrogant.

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:02 pm

FD wrote:
blurred wrote:Given that he was looking at the pitch and not at Allardyce, how has this been directed to him, exactly? It could've meant anything, but was obviously directed to one of his players.
Where exactly did I accuse him of directing at anyone? Either way, it was arrogant.
Where's the story in a sports person(ality) being arrogant?
Viva La Portable Radio!

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:34 pm

I wasn't aware I'd written the article! :shock:

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:02 pm

Ha!
Viva La Portable Radio!

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:46 pm

FD wrote:
What was he saying and to whom?

Perhaps you could let us all in on it, because I don't actually know, and I'm sure as hell nobody else does, either.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:48 pm

I can honestly say I've no idea what the hell you are talking about Blurred. You are being ridiculously defensive!

Benitez made an "it's over" gesture at someone, don't know who, don't care. My point is very simply that doing so, is an arrogant thing to do.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:10 pm

FD wrote:I can honestly say I've no idea what the hell you are talking about Blurred. You are being ridiculously defensive!

Benitez made an "it's over" gesture at someone, don't know who, don't care. My point is very simply that doing so, is an arrogant thing to do.
If that's what Benitez was saying then it was fair comment, I'd say. They were absolutely hammering a Blackburn side that had elected to play nine across the back and stick a pit pony up front on his own. Liverpool's first goal was 'game over', let alone the second. I think that Allardyce is the one that comes off badly here and comes across as being a mardy-arsed amateur. The depths of obsequiousness to which he's prepared to lower himself in order to gain favour with Ferguson are truly embarrassing.
May the bridges I burn light your way

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:28 pm

Funny how Liverpool fans can excuse Benitez doing the "it's over" gesture, yet demand the stringing up of Mourinho at the League Cup Final of 2006 for his "sssh" gesture, when he was looking at the ground than at anyone, particularly not the crowd.

EDIT: Sorry, 2005 final. Sue me.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:16 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:If that's what Benitez was saying then it was fair comment, I'd say.
If? If? Seriously, track it down on youtube, its the universal sign for "Enough, thats it" etc.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:26 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
FD wrote:I can honestly say I've no idea what the hell you are talking about Blurred. You are being ridiculously defensive!

If that's what Benitez was saying then it was fair comment, I'd say. They were absolutely hammering a Blackburn side that had elected to play nine across the back and stick a pit pony up front on his own. Liverpool's first goal was 'game over', let alone the second. I think that Allardyce is the one that comes off badly here and comes across as being a mardy-arsed amateur. The depths of obsequiousness to which he's prepared to lower himself in order to gain favour with Ferguson are truly embarrassing.
The one chink in his armour for me is his fawning over Ferguson. Handbags at dawn b*llshit. If it was Megson moaning I'd be claiming he was just putting up a smokescreen for a rank bad performance. Same goes here.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:23 pm

blurred wrote:
[b]bobo the clown[/b] wrote:I saw the incident live. Whilst I'm not a fan of Benitez, I'm not sure disrespectful is the word I'd use for it...though I can see how people might see it that way. I'd personally call what he did arrogant, and lets be honest, Mr Allardyce knows plenty about that himself.
Given that he was looking at the pitch and not at Allardyce, how has this been directed to him, exactly? It could've meant anything, but was obviously directed to one of his players.

It was a one-second hand gesture whose intent/message is unclear at best, and he chooses to wait a week before talking about it. Strange.
First of all ... it was FD who wrote that, not Bobo. Bobo would never, ever be that reasonable toward Benitez ... never.

Second of all ... yes is probably more properly described as arrogant. Whatever word is used it was a deliberate & demeaning act and is quite within the guys character ... because HE'S A PRICK !!

Third of all, your defence of his is bllx & you know it. You may do a Philadelphia lawyer bit & claim that you can't be sure what he meant/did/said ... that's shite & everyone knows it. But if you are determined to make that case then off you go.

Benitez was, is and will remain a prick. This is just more proof of it.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:33 pm

The content is a complete load of bollocks! Wasn't Benitez just saying to his players "what do I know" when something had gone against his wishes/instructions but led to a Liverpool goal?!

All good fun though.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:43 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_33dbv50f20

Tell me that he's emphatically signalling 'it's over' there? Seriously? If you think that, you're as deluded as Allardyce and Ferguson combined. He shrugs, smiles (which is unusual for Benitez after we score), and then does a small hand gesture which could mean anything. To me it looks as much like 'no chance' as it does 'game over', neither of which make much sense. He's obviously reacting to somethign on the pitch (possibly a player signalling something back to him). God knows what it's all about, but those of you clamouring saying 'it's clearly a 'game over', arrogant gesture' are quite frankly talking through your hole.

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:03 pm

Having seen it again, it's clearly two small, fleeting Nazi salutes.

Burn him.
Viva La Portable Radio!

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:07 pm

blurred wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_33dbv50f20

Tell me that he's emphatically signalling 'it's over' there? Seriously? If you think that, you're as deluded as Allardyce and Ferguson combined. He shrugs, smiles (which is unusual for Benitez after we score), and then does a small hand gesture which could mean anything. To me it looks as much like 'no chance' as it does 'game over', neither of which make much sense. He's obviously reacting to somethign on the pitch (possibly a player signalling something back to him). God knows what it's all about, but those of you clamouring saying 'it's clearly a 'game over', arrogant gesture' are quite frankly talking through your hole.
Yep, there are definitely a few people having a Phil Scraton moment over this one....
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:10 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Yep, there are definitely a few people having a Phil Scraton moment over this one....
Fergie and Allardyce being two.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:13 pm

blurred wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Yep, there are definitely a few people having a Phil Scraton moment over this one....
Fergie and Allardyce being two.
Well, not sure what Allardyce's problem is, but Fergie's just up to his usual.

But was it you who posted an article on here which argues that Fergie's mind-game prowess is all a myth?