Benitez .... prick

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:20 pm

Its hardly enigma-esque to say "look at our rivals manager, ain't he a right tw*t" is it?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:21 pm

I rant about 'mind games' all the time. It's all a load of shite. I can't believe that any manager actually alters their approach to a game because of something they read in the papers. They answer the usual tedious shite from the media, who then create the 'storm' about what manager X said about Y. It's all a big crock. So-and-so got the better of so-and-so in the 'mind games'... Give me strength!

Oh, and Ferguson takes money from sick children, so I'm not sure that I really care what he thinks about anything. Good manager? Yes. Deluded football ramblings? Yes. c*nt? Yes.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:34 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... mind-games

Think that might be the article I had in mind.

Thing is though, the writer does try to have it both ways somewhat - he says that these kind of comments have no effect on what goes on on the pitch, but then says that his comments galvanized Blackburn to his disadvantage.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:38 pm

blurred wrote:I rant about 'mind games' all the time. It's all a load of shite. I can't believe that any manager actually alters their approach to a game because of something they read in the papers. They answer the usual tedious shite from the media, who then create the 'storm' about what manager X said about Y. It's all a big crock. So-and-so got the better of so-and-so in the 'mind games'... Give me strength!

Oh, and Ferguson takes money from sick children, so I'm not sure that I really care what he thinks about anything. Good manager? Yes. Deluded football ramblings? Yes. c*nt? Yes.
I'm pretty sure Houllier said something along the lines of 90% of managing being what you say in the pre and post-match press conferences. I understand where he's coming from but he's probably bigging them up a little too much.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:00 am

Yeah, I wouldn't go as far as Houllier, but I do think that what managers say in public has an impact on the 'mood' of a club, and if they sound rattled then that does translate to the fans and players to a certain extent. I certainly don't think Benitez's 'I deal only in facts' outburst back in January did him or his club any good.

But Blurred's right - the media do make the most of anything managers say in order to create some WWF kind of entertainment.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:12 am

FD wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:If that's what Benitez was saying then it was fair comment, I'd say.
If? If? Seriously, track it down on youtube, its the universal sign for "Enough, thats it" etc.
May the bridges I burn light your way

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:29 am

blurred wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_33dbv50f20

Tell me that he's emphatically signalling 'it's over' there? Seriously? If you think that, you're as deluded as Allardyce and Ferguson combined.
Are you serious? I thought that was what he meant live at the time (before the "shitstorm") and I still think it now. I guess rather than having an opinion of something, I am in fact, deluded. Whilst you defend it over and over again blurred, calling people with a differing opinion "deluded", I'd love to know what YOU think he was signalling there. I'm sure it was coincidence that Sam and Rafael had handbags before the game, that they have history, and that they were dominating Blackburn, but unless I've missed it in this enormous thread, I don't see you being too forthcoming with your opinion of what that signal meant, just a lot of defensive comments combined with petty abuse.

I'm truly baffled that anyone could see that signal as anything other than "thats it/its over/finish/end of", unless it's a regional thing I can't see how it CAN be anything else! But thats deluded old me again.

I don't believe it was an "offensive" gesture as Allardyce and Ferguson have said, as I said in my original post on the subject, I feel it's pretty arrogant, but not offensive. It strikes me that Allardyce is using the gesture as another chance to dig at a manager he doesn't like, Fergie has joined in because Allardyce is his mate and it suits his cause to have a go at the manager competing for the league title.

Bruce, I didn't miss your point, I just chose to focus on the fact you said "IF" when it's clear to me there is not "if" in this situation.

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:30 am

Let's be honest though... it WAS all over.
Viva La Portable Radio!

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:32 am

mofgimmers wrote:Let's be honest though... it WAS all over.
It was all over when Torres scored his wonder-goal.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:47 am

FD wrote:

Tell me that he's emphatically signalling 'it's over' there? Seriously? If you think that, you're as deluded as Allardyce and Ferguson combined.
Are you serious? I thought that was what he meant live at the time (before the "shitstorm") and I still think it now. I guess rather than having an opinion of something, I am in fact, deluded. Whilst you defend it over and over again blurred, calling people with a differing opinion "deluded", I'd love to know what YOU think he was signalling there. I'm sure it was coincidence that Sam and Rafael had handbags before the game, that they have history, and that they were dominating Blackburn, but unless I've missed it in this enormous thread, I don't see you being too forthcoming with your opinion of what that signal meant, just a lot of defensive comments combined with petty abuse.

I'm truly baffled that anyone could see that signal as anything other than "thats it/its over/finish/end of", unless it's a regional thing I can't see how it CAN be anything else! But thats deluded old me again.

I don't believe it was an "offensive" gesture as Allardyce and Ferguson have said, as I said in my original post on the subject, I feel it's pretty arrogant, but not offensive. It strikes me that Allardyce is using the gesture as another chance to dig at a manager he doesn't like, Fergie has joined in because Allardyce is his mate and it suits his cause to have a go at the manager competing for the league title.

Bruce, I didn't miss your point, I just chose to focus on the fact you said "IF" when it's clear to me there is not "if" in this situation.
Are you serious?

It's one thing to have an opinion, it's another not to allow even for the possibility of a different one.

Blurred's right, it's just a signal to his own player - how can any of us really have a clue?! I've offered my theory as to what it means above.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:02 am

Excuse f*cking me but I was told I was deluded for having MY opinion!

The entire post you quoted was just that, MY opinion. Note the use of things like "clear to me", "I'm truly baffled", "I can't see", "I feel", "I can't believe" etc?

If you'd care to go back through the posts you will see that after I voice my opinion I was told that I'm deluded and "talking through my hole" for thinking so. I never once said that anyones opinion wasn't valid, only that I personally saw it as "Game over" and that I can't see it as anything other than that.

That's okay though, "Blurred's right" (Blurred, he's the Liverpool supporter by the way) and it's totally impossible that Benitez was being arrogant and dismissive of an opposition team who's manager had been in the papers the day before having a dig at him.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:34 am

FD wrote:

He makes three gestures - once flaps his arms a bit, once shrugs (palms a bit more upturned), then this crossed hands thing. The third gesture could mean anything (although it's clearly a 'negative/no' type gesture), albeit it was acompanied by a smile on his face, which is most unusual for Rafa. For my money I think he's sharing a joke with one of his players, and it could easily be one of them saying something to him like 'I should take more free-kicks, boss' or 'See, I always score with my head', or 'told you I was on for a hat-trick today' or 'told you we'd score from that free-kick, aren't I a genius?'. He smiles and says back to them 'no chance/no way'.

It's such a throwaway gesture that I don't believe it's emphatic enough for it to mean that Benitez has already considered the game 'over'. I also don't think that Benitez is the type of manager who ever really considers a game 'over', especially that early in the first half. Even against Blackburn. I honestly have no idea what conversation he was having with his players, but I can't believe that someone as supremely professional as Rafa would ever tell his players that it was game over after 20 something minutes. That would be a ridiculous message to transmit and be completely out of character.

Besides, we all know that Rafa's a magician on the touchline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUlTSUSnL4A

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:25 pm

I personally thought the gesture meant that Benitez had a big bag of cream cakes in the back of his car and he wanted to know if Allardyce fancied sharing them over a couple of skinny lattés.

Mind, I'm deluded too.
Businesswoman of the year.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:19 pm

Who cares?

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:31 pm

Remember when everyone was a bit cynical about Arshavin? Too old, too lightweight ect.

What a game.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:58 pm

That was absolutely crazy, what a match :D

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:59 pm

f*ck me

what fantastic football, again

shame about defence(s), but who cares?

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:00 pm

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:08 pm

I've always thought very highly of Arshavin, a couple of those finishes were just never in doubt. The second one was class and the last one he's no time for a composed finish, just pick the spot and smash it in, boom.

Dunno what it is with Liverpool on Tuesday nights and exciting error strewn goal fests...
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:25 pm

Can't wait to see the highlights for this one. Ever since the Euros Arshavin has just been ridiculous. Imagine if he was eligible for the CL? Oof.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."