Liverpool laughing stocks?

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Liverpool laughing stocks?

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:43 pm

I'm not sure that's entirely the case. Danny Graham isn't exactly a twinkle toes forward.

He's a physical presence in a much lesser way than Carroll is.. I'd wager a front 3 of Carroll with Borini/Downing and Suarez alongside him would be pretty feckin' mustard!

It might even suit the return of Aquilani who could sit behind them whilst Gerrard and another do the graft..
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:59 pm

Or Joe Cole.

I'd not be surprised if he got rid of Carroll though. I think he knows you sometimes need a physical presence, but he'll demand everyone be good on it too. Graham is tidy. Carroll is not.

If they give him time I think he'll do well. Not sure it'll come straight away though. Too many not suited. Likes of Charlie Adam, and even Gerrard to an extent are always going to look for the Hollywood 60-yarder.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:05 pm

Prufrock wrote:Or Joe Cole.

I'd not be surprised if he got rid of Carroll though. I think he knows you sometimes need a physical presence, but he'll demand everyone be good on it too. Graham is tidy. Carroll is not.

If they give him time I think he'll do well. Not sure it'll come straight away though. Too many not suited. Likes of Charlie Adam, and even Gerrard to an extent are always going to look for the Hollywood 60-yarder.
That's fine if they aim those 60 yarders at his chest..

I also think Carroll is sounder on the ball than people give him credit for. I've always been impressed with his first touch. His all round game in fact, he (like N'gog) just needs to relax in the box and not be too arsed if he misses. If he can sort his head out, he'll be absolutely top drawer

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:25 pm

It would be if you were going to play that way, but I can't see Rogers having it. He basically admitted a few weeks ago they try to bore the opposition to death. Keep the ball moving short and quickly and wait for the opposition to lose their concentration. Not sure your Hollywood types fit into that.

Carroll, good first touch, certainly, showed that a lot against Italy, he also dallied on it, or shanked passes at peoples' knees afterwards. I think there is a good player in there, but I'm not sure he'll fit into a team where the ball always has to be moving.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:00 pm

Until referees stop running past him on a break Carroll will always be too slow for the PL.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:15 am

Carrol has potential and maybe training and playing with a team that plays good football could benefit him greatly

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:11 am

Prufrock wrote:It would be if you were going to play that way, but I can't see Rogers having it. He basically admitted a few weeks ago they try to bore the opposition to death. Keep the ball moving short and quickly and wait for the opposition to lose their concentration. Not sure your Hollywood types fit into that.

Carroll, good first touch, certainly, showed that a lot against Italy, he also dallied on it, or shanked passes at peoples' knees afterwards. I think there is a good player in there, but I'm not sure he'll fit into a team where the ball always has to be moving.
Carroll is a better finisher than Graham also. And all round a better player. Graham is more mobile though, at the Reebok he chased every ball down.

I do think Carroll has the potential to be a top player but his lifestyle will always hold him back unless he sorts it out.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:25 am

I'm not sure about better finisher. Not that Carroll is shit, but Graham has always looked cool and clinical when I have seen him. Two cracking finishes at their place against us :D.

Think mobility and tidiness are the things Rogers will want, and thinks someone like Borini or at times Suarez would give them (though losing all physical presence with the latter) gives that more than Carroll.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:51 am

Prufrock wrote:I'm not sure about better finisher. Carroll is shit, but Graham has always looked cool and clinical when I have seen him. Two cracking finishes at their place against us :D.

Think mobility and tidiness are the things Rogers will want, and thinks someone like Borini or at times Suarez would give them (though losing all physical presence with the latter) gives that more than Carroll.
Changed that for ya ;)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:29 pm

Relentless09 wrote:Carrol has potential and maybe training and playing with a team that plays good football could benefit him greatly
but then again... West Ham have declared an interest in Carrol today...

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:48 pm

Newcastle with a cheeky "we'll take Carroll on a season long loan" bid.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:16 am

"Liverpool's players are expected to win the ball back within seven seconds of losing possession and are given thorough details of the passing options they must offer every team-mate, wherever he is on the pitch, under new manager Brendan Rodgers". D Telegraph

Well, I suppose it worked for him last year, but you need super-fit automatons. People who understand their limitations and realise a huge work ethic and a willingness to subjugate their initiative to overcome these. There'll be a few Billy-big-breeches not fancying this at all.

I foresee a schism or two coming, esp. if the first few games don't quite come off.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:47 pm

Not exactly, considering it is an idea nicked from Barca!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:43 pm

Prufrock wrote:Not exactly, considering it is an idea nicked from Barca!
Well, quite.

We can all say it ... but you need to correct material.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:06 pm

Bale has come out and called Charlie Adam a "coward" after he snapped him in a friendly last night.

The second time he's put him on crutches.

Dirty, fat bastard

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:54 pm

boltonboris wrote:Bale has come out and called Charlie Adam a "coward" after he snapped him in a friendly last night.

Dirty, fat bastard

I thought Bale was already injured. Isn't that why he pulled out of the GB squad?

NWhiteley
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by NWhiteley » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:17 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Bale has come out and called Charlie Adam a "coward" after he snapped him in a friendly last night.

Dirty, fat bastard

I thought Bale was already injured. Isn't that why he pulled out of the GB squad?

It has been reported that he pulled out due to believing Team GB has no chance of a medal/winning, makes you wonder why he plays for Wales then.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:41 pm

NWhiteley wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Dirty, fat bastard

It has been reported that he pulled out due to believing Team GB has no chance of a medal/winning, makes you wonder why he plays for Wales then.
Or Tottenham!
May the bridges I burn light your way

NWhiteley
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by NWhiteley » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:56 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
NWhiteley wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Dirty, fat bastard

Or Tottenham!

Indeed

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:10 pm

NWhiteley wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

Dirty, fat bastard

I think it was more to do with the fact that he was negotiating the biggest contract ever given by Tottenham when he was called up!