New Wembley, same shite

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

finlayson
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by finlayson » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:24 pm

How much jizzing can you do over a stadium? It may look nice but it is still in a horrible area with no infastructure what so ever.

Cardiff was 100 times better than Wembley could ever hope to be due to its city centre location and pubs/bars etc.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:01 pm

Hoolio wrote:If you're 21 at the start of the season (or July 1st) then you can play that season.
Or if you're 23 but born in August - or so I believe

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:43 pm

I listen to The Game podcast and they were going on about the price of food/drink. It's reassuring to know that the New Wembley is still keeping some of the Old Wembley traditions.

The twin towers may be gone but the food is still over priced shite.

It makes me laugh when people talk about players from all over the world dreaming of playing at Wembley. I'm sure they don't. And if they did then they'd be severley idssapointed.

I liken it to caviar. You're always told how nice caviar is and you think it must be food of the gods. And then you taste it and wish you'd gone for the Goblin Pudding instead.

tc
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri May 18, 2007 7:22 pm

I have to say, I am very pleased that the FA Cup is back at Wembley. Having to go to Wales for our major games has been nothing short of a national embarrassment over the past 8 years, and I reckon that it has contributed to the FA Cup losing some of its glamour...

It's an unbelievably different Wembley that we're going back to, though, and I can't help but feel nostalgic for the twin towers I visited in 1995 as a nine-year old. I thought it was an awesome place, and didn't even notice the dilapidation that I am now told was very evident.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6635895.stm
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Fri May 18, 2007 7:49 pm

Old Wembley was a toilet

Cardiff pissed on its chips

If you want a reason for the FA Cup losing its glamour, look no further than increased TV coverage of football and being told day in day out by Sky that the Prem is the greatest competition in the world

For plenty, the FA Cup Final was the only game per season they ever saw live, so we made an effort to watch

I don't think I've watched a final all through for 20 years
Sto ut Serviam

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri May 18, 2007 8:08 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:Old Wembley was a toilet
Maybe, but before I became a cynical bastard I thought it was a pretty special place.

:vomit:
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Fri May 18, 2007 8:12 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:I don't think I've watched a final all through for 20 years
Same here. Never been the same without 'It's a Knockout' on the morning before the final.
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri May 18, 2007 8:53 pm

I'm going this weekend (not for that shite on sat mind, I'm with Caps on that one), I'll give it a full road test, although I may not get round all 2000 toilets and im not paying £4.50 for a pie.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Fri May 18, 2007 9:06 pm

I never had the pleasure (or not) of seeing the old Wembley. But I must admit just going past the new one on the tube it is a hell of an impressive sight.
Last edited by Verbal on Sat May 19, 2007 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri May 18, 2007 9:27 pm

Only went once. Cup semi against villa.
Place was falling down and stank of piss. It was embarrassing to think this was the home of football.

Mind, I was dead impressed though!
Businesswoman of the year.

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Sat May 19, 2007 12:39 am

I've been 5 times.

Guns 'n' Roses 1991

Play off final v.Reading

Dallas Cowboys v. Chicago Bulls

FA cup semi final v. Villa

Play off final v. Watford

It was a shithole and stank of piss, but something happened when you walked through the gates.

The rose tinted specs came on and nothing mattered but the fact you were at Wembley.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Sat May 19, 2007 1:20 am

I'll be going next month, can't wait to see the stadium from the pitch perspective. I've heard a few people have been unimpressed by all the fuss though....
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat May 19, 2007 1:24 am

Dr.Karl wrote:I'll be going next month, can't wait to see the stadium from the pitch perspective. I've heard a few people have been unimpressed by all the fuss though....
I heard that a few corners have been cut - like using tarmac round the perimeter, rather than the planned paved 'walkway of champions'... or something.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon May 21, 2007 3:48 pm

stadium was awesome, absolutely mega. i thought it was just going to be like cardiff from the pics etc but it seemed so much more bigger. I sat in the 'Corinthian' seats for yesterdays conference play off final, right behind the dugout and 3 seats away from the steps the players walked up to get the trophy, so it was an amazing experience. can't comment on the normal seats i would have to be in if i ever went there again but the padded jobs we had were quality!! great view, great stadium and a decent game. very pleased!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 21, 2007 6:07 pm

Followed the Wanderers to the old Wembers in 89, 91, 95 (x2), 99 and 00. Went back one last time that year to a PR do, managed to sneak onto the pitch and have a knockabout before the inevitable chasing and ejecting.

Went to the new one a couple of months ago, had a good nosey round, changing rooms etc. Sat at the very top-back of the side stand and the view was very good. Perimeter is a bit wide but that's probably geometry - unless you want four "walls" a la Cardiff/Old Twatford, which is a bit crap if you're in the corner, you have to have a bit of room round the pitch to fit in yer curves.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Mon May 21, 2007 9:40 pm

coffeymagic wrote: I liken it to caviar. You're always told how nice caviar is and you think it must be food of the gods. And then you taste it and wish you'd gone for the Goblin Pudding instead.

tc
:D

Not a Stagg Chili man then?

http://www.staggchili.com/

The old Wembley was a piss-ridden crapheap. I bet there weren't hundreds of empty seats ten minutes into the second half though.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Tue May 22, 2007 9:18 am

Dr.Karl wrote:I'll be going next month, can't wait to see the stadium from the pitch perspective. I've heard a few people have been unimpressed by all the fuss though....
I assume you're going to a gig there with standing tickets? I'm doing the same, should be quite interesting.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Backgammon
Promising
Promising

Post by Backgammon » Tue May 22, 2007 10:40 am

I've not made my mind up yet about the new wembley. Half o me thinks it looked like a really good modern stadium, but half of me thinks they missed a trick with it.

I'm not suggesting that what they've built isn't special, but since it's the 'home of football' and money didn't appear to be a problem, why didn't they build it extra special? Instead of 90,000 why not 110,000. Instead of a glass box, what about using local materials, or dare I say a bit of colour. That old guy summed it up quite well while being interviewed outside the ground; "I thought I was going into an airport".

I've only seen the arch on TV, and I'm sure it's an architectural master piece, but it just looks a bit sh#t. Why not rebuild the two towers, one of the most recognisable icons of football, rather than replace it with an arch that looks toilet?

I know I need to see it for myself before criticising it, but the new wembley just didn't seem to have any 'wow' factor to it IMO. It would be interesting now to see the other original entries for the stadium; the designs that were rejected in favour of this one.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue May 22, 2007 10:52 am

Went to the old wembley 5 times, loved the place, It was awe inspiring and sent a shiver down my spine everytime I was there

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 22, 2007 10:57 am

boltonboris wrote:Went to the old wembley 5 times, loved the place, It was awe inspiring and sent a shiver down my spine everytime I was there
Aye, and the crowd singing "Abide with me" couldn't help but get the throat a bit.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?