New Wembley, same shite

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue May 22, 2007 11:02 am

Backgammon wrote:I've not made my mind up yet about the new wembley. Half o me thinks it looked like a really good modern stadium, but half of me thinks they missed a trick with it.

I'm not suggesting that what they've built isn't special, but since it's the 'home of football' and money didn't appear to be a problem, why didn't they build it extra special? Instead of 90,000 why not 110,000. Instead of a glass box, what about using local materials, or dare I say a bit of colour. That old guy summed it up quite well while being interviewed outside the ground; "I thought I was going into an airport".

I've only seen the arch on TV, and I'm sure it's an architectural master piece, but it just looks a bit sh#t. Why not rebuild the the two towers, one of the most recognisable icons of football, rather than replace it with an arch that looks toilet?

I know I need to see it for myself before criticising it, but the new wembley just didn't seem to have any 'wow' factor to it IMO. It would be interesting now to see the other original entries for the stadium; the designs that were rejected in favour of this one.
I hear exactly what you're saying. And I more or less agree.
However, much like the old Burnden vs The Reebok discussion this new stadium is all about looking to the future and I think it is a bit special! We've all just got to give it time to sink in a bit.

I've not been there myself, though I did go past on the train and seeing the arch high above the surrounding buildings made me feel a small bit of pride. Trouble is, the new place has no history, we have no memories to look back on fondly so why should we give a toss about it? We need Bolton to win the FA cup there, and some cracking England performances to make us care a bit more (let's not hold our breath then :wink: ). I must say though, it was great to hear the National Anthem being bellowed out on Saturday before the game.
Businesswoman of the year.

Backgammon
Promising
Promising

Post by Backgammon » Tue May 22, 2007 11:39 am

CrazyHorse wrote:I hear exactly what you're saying. And I more or less agree. However, much like the old Burnden vs The Reebok discussion this new stadium is all about looking to the future and I think it is a bit special! We've all just got to give it time to sink in a bit.

I've not been there myself, though I did go past on the train and seeing the arch high above the surrounding buildings made me feel a small bit of pride. Trouble is, the new place has no history, we have no memories to look back on fondly so why should we give a toss about it? We need Bolton to win the FA cup there, and some cracking England performances to make us care a bit more (let's not hold our breath then :wink: ). I must say though, it was great to hear the National Anthem being bellowed out on Saturday before the game.
I know the staduim is for the future (very similar to Bolton moving to the new stadium) and it will create a new history; I just feel it's a bit sad that there's no ties to the original Stadium and it's legacy.

The only thing that the old stadium and the new one have in common is the location. It's a shame they didn't put more effort into reminding people what wembley was, and more importantly, how it looked.

I thought they planned originally to keep the twin towers and recycle them elsewhere? I seem to remember that they originally demolished everything bar those two structures. did they just change their minds and know 'em down as well?

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Tue May 22, 2007 12:23 pm

The TwinTowers were found to be suffering from ASR (Alkali-Silica Reaction) or Concrete Cancer. Basically there were huge cracks down to the steel reinforcement and I think it was only successive layers of paint that was holding each tower up.

So they were demolished and I have a piece on my windowsill at home.

They could still have cast two new ones, though.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Tue May 22, 2007 1:48 pm

Drove by it on the bus last year. i must say even from a distance I was impressed.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 23, 2007 7:31 pm

boltonboris wrote:Went to the old wembley 5 times, loved the place,
Then I trust that you have an inside leg measurement of less than about 22 inches!
May the bridges I burn light your way