Match of the Day and Female Commentators

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Female Commentators on Footy

Good thing
40%
Bad thing
60%

Total votes: 30

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:31 pm

cowdrill wrote:
daxter15 wrote:Yeah I think Green is actually a good commentator. But he talks rubbish and is bias.

make your mind up!?!

how can he be good if he talks rubbish and is biased?!
No - Daxter said he's "bias".

I thought it was a fat joke. :conf:
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:34 pm

:lol:

funny get!
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:46 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:now come on she got the job on merit. Listen to the rest of the commentators, then think about the existing standard and the standard of the other potentials - Alan Green for example...... then think who you'd pick.
Alan Green's not a good example because his voice lends itself to commentating and he's actually quite good when he prevents his Liverpool bias from creeping in.
alan green's voice only lends itself to me taking a 7 iron to his head. OK it's probably more a 3-ron shot but I'm much more consistent with my 7.

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:56 pm

3 wood
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:57 pm

daxter15 wrote:Yeah I think Green is actually a good commentator.
I really disagree with you on this one. My idea of a commentator is that he/she commentates. That's all. I turn on the radio because I want to know how a games progressing. That's all. I have absolutely no interest what so ever in what the commentator's opinion is, and Alan Green seems to think that the listener tunes in to here his opinion first and foremost.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:17 pm

Should we give a woman a go on Tower, our "home-from-home" local radio station?

I mean, Graham Lovatt comes across as a nice enough guy, has a sense of humour and supports the team on air, but between conversations with Michael Bennet "Did you enjoy the pies and soup today Michael; My you're looking smart today Michael etc etc, messages to fans across the world, ramblings about who's at home doing the ironing, who he met on Westhoughton Market, adverts for upcoming events at the Reebok, text message predictions and greetings etc etc etc, all during the match, a lot of the actual commentating on the game goes for a walk. Oh, and add break-offs for visits to Bury's games too, don't forget.

All the above could be done in a half-hour prior to or after the game (providing we didn't lose, when everybody switches off in disgust) , and not during it. Maybe a woman might actually stick to football......er, maybe. Not a rant, just a thought.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:23 pm

And another thing that pisses me off. "Aston Villa are playing from left to right" means absolutely feck all to the listener as he/she's no idea whereabouts you're sat in the ground, Mr Commentator, and if you were on the other side then they'd be playing from right to left, ya fanny. "Aston Villa are attacking/defending the Holte End" would be better, thanks!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:38 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:And another thing that pisses me off. "Aston Villa are playing from left to right" means absolutely feck all to the listener as he/she's no idea whereabouts you're sat in the ground, Mr Commentator, and if you were on the other side then they'd be playing from right to left, ya fanny. "Aston Villa are attacking/defending the Holte End" would be better, thanks!
They use that over here on tv - mind you the main camera has the same perspective in every arena and the home team plays from right to left on the tv screen in the first period. For those who can't get to a tv the line "The Canadiens are playing right to left on your radio dial" is often heard. So for us it comes only from tv perspective.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:08 pm

Oh my lord that sounds wrong....
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:31 pm

She described who was doing what accurately and had obviously done her research, but it just sounded wrong. She's trying to be a higher pitched version of a male commentator and it doesn't work. She'll need to find the correct tone and pitch. I wouldn't be too critical, she's the first of a kind.

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:34 pm

All she was interested in doing was reeling off statistics.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:41 pm

daxter15 wrote:All she was interested in doing was reeling off statistics.
she aint another motson is she? "oh and here we have lampard, his favourite pie is jellied eel, 94% of his goals for chelsea have involved deflections"

perfan
Reliable
Reliable

Post by perfan » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:39 pm

I have to say I really wanted her to be good but she just wasn't. All that screaming when Fulham scored is just wrong. But she's clearly fit for a job with the BBC due to that Southern bias.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:00 pm

perfan wrote:But she's clearly fit [...]
Well, I don't know about that, but I'd rather have her in a hot tob than Jonathan Pearce.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:40 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote: On a practical point, the tone and pitch of a female voice don't really promote euphony when something exciting happens. :|
Sex life not so hot, PB?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:02 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote: On a practical point, the tone and pitch of a female voice don't really promote euphony when something exciting happens. :|
Sex life not so hot, PB?
Ok, so that would be the exception.

And without answering your question too directly, my girlfriend and I are both back at our universities at the moment, which happen to be 200 miles apart. I appreciate that would practically make us neighbours in Canada, but it's not very convenient here.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:34 pm

Shouldn't have gone into such detail, he's won now!
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon May 14, 2007 3:11 am

WHAT A CROCK OF SHIT.

Really poor again tonight.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon May 14, 2007 10:07 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:WHAT A CROCK OF SHIT.

Afraid you're right.

However 'inclusive' & open minded I'm trying to be her voice just doesn't work.

I also think Jonathon Pearce peaked on Robot-Wars. He's a good journalist, but he could open cans with that screeching of his.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 14, 2007 2:04 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:WHAT A CROCK OF SHIT.

Afraid you're right.

However 'inclusive' & open minded I'm trying to be her voice just doesn't work.

I also think Jonathon Pearce peaked on Robot-Wars. He's a good journalist, but he could open cans with that screeching of his.
She hasn't impressed this end user. Needs a good pre-season, perhaps.

Pearce is a shrieking goon who shouldn't be allowed near public service broadcasting. He nearly jizzed onto his microphone when the Spammers stayed up.
Bruce Rioja wrote:My idea of a commentator is that he/she commentates. That's all. I turn on the radio because I want to know how a games progressing. That's all. I have absolutely no interest what so ever in what the commentator's opinion is, and Alan Green seems to think that the listener tunes in to here his opinion first and foremost.
Think I've said elsewhere in these (web)pages that Green is paid to be opinionated on 6-0-6 and to commentate on matches, but he seems to have been confused his carte-blanche on the Garrulous Gobshite hour and now thinks we're interested in him rather than the game. We're not, Alan. Nobody ever though "Oh it's Coventry-Middlesbrough, not bothered about that but I'll listen to the two 23-minute spells Greeny commentates on".

Any good journalist knows when to report the facts and when to spout opinion. The Guardian (not actually stacked to the rafters with good ones, as it goes) is even conducting an advertising campaign based on this notion. Green should take heed, but he won't.