Champions League Final

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Champions League Final

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed May 23, 2007 9:23 am

How come the rest of the world call it the Champions League, but Liverpool still insist on calling it the European Cup?
I've got two quid on AC Milan to win, though I'm only watching it because they've cancelled Emmerdale and there's nowt else on.

Three years, three English teams in the final isn't a bad ratio, though to be honest its hard to get excited. Does anyone really care?
Businesswoman of the year.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: Champions League Final

Post by bobo the clown » Wed May 23, 2007 9:40 am

CrazyHorse wrote:How come the rest of the world call it the Champions League, but Liverpool still insist on calling it the European Cup?

...to be honest its hard to get excited. Does anyone really care?
I imagine they call it that in recognition they are only in it as a result of coming 4th ! ... so they're champions of feck-all.

Like you, I can't really get worked up about it. I'm at a dinner tonight & I know they're going to have a TV screen arranged IN THE DINING ROOM !!!

I'd see that as vital and foresighted if I could give a shit, but instead I'm going to be one of the moaning minnies saying things like "can't you manage to miss ONE match ??".
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed May 23, 2007 9:44 am

I've got a tenner on 1-0 either way and a fiver on AC after extra time

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed May 23, 2007 12:01 pm

I'm torn really.

I'd rather Milan didn't win it as they shouldn't be in the competition anyway.

I'd rather Liverpool didn't win it as the fans will be unbearable AGAIN and I dislike their manager.
I was quite enjoying the thought of the scousers folding up their "forever in our shadow" banners as the United juggernaut finally overtakes them.

Milan it is really, they play the more expansive football and knocked out the English champions.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Wed May 23, 2007 12:15 pm

i like milan, kaka is world class and an absolute joy to watch and he has been for a while, not just this season, his assist for the 3rd goal and general performance in the 2005 final first half was on another planet, mainly because tactical genius benitez didn't employ hamann to cover the area he loves to roam and i already loved gattuso before he called scholes a wanker after outclassing him and the rest of utds midfield in the semi :pray:

but having said all that if liverpool win the utd fans i know will have experienced a very sour end to a great season of theirs and that thought alone makes me swing slightly towards them, even if i can't stand benitez purely due to the stuff he has said about us

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 23, 2007 12:17 pm

Come on you guys, we're English and, unbearable as the Scouse hordes will be, Liverpool are one of the few English clubs capable of performing on the big stage. I can't stand Italians anyway, so I hope the Scousers edge it. T'will be tough.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Wed May 23, 2007 12:22 pm

I will support ANY British team in Europe.

We wouldn't be in Europe this season if other English teams didn't do well.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Wed May 23, 2007 1:49 pm

Going for Liverpool. English pride over everything else. Leaving work early as well.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed May 23, 2007 1:53 pm

Word has it lots of the Italians are stuck in Italy unable to get a plane out there due to strikes. I guess the leader of the union is an Internazionale fan then.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Wed May 23, 2007 2:12 pm

I didn't know Liverpool were playing for England tonight. They're representing LFC and no else, I've never understood that logic of supporting English clubs in Europe just because they're English. I know a few of their fans and they'll be unbearable if they succeed, so I'll be hoping for a Milan win.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

Dr.Karl wrote:I didn't know Liverpool were playing for England tonight. They're representing LFC and no else, I've never understood that logic of supporting English clubs in Europe just because they're English. I know a few of their fans and they'll be unbearable if they succeed, so I'll be hoping for a Milan win.
'tis a good point. Particularly your unbearable comment - my two bosses have both gone over to see the game.

However, I prefer to be indifferent as I'll never be able to bring myself to cheer for the Italians (or Germans or the Spanish or whoever). It just aint right in my opinion.

As I said, my interest stretches as far as having two quid on Milan winning. Purely because I think they will so I may as well try and make a bit of cash out of it. :D
Businesswoman of the year.

Henrik's fan club
Henrik
Henrik

Post by Henrik's fan club » Wed May 23, 2007 2:21 pm

I'm really looking forward to it! Going to a pub full of scousers to watch it so should be a cracking atmosphere. I've never really minded Liverpool, I prefer them to the other teams in the 'Big 4'. Probably 'cos a lot of my mates support 'em.
Who needs Henry when we've got Henrik?

Free the T-W two!

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Wed May 23, 2007 2:43 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:I will support ANY British team in Europe.

The better English teams do in the Champions League, the more European places there are for little old us.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Wed May 23, 2007 2:48 pm

I'm looking forward to it. A few beers in front of the goggle box, hopefully a severe stuffing for the scousers and Fatty Benitez to fall on his face face at some point.

What's the betting that Liverpool defend deep, play one up front and rely on set pieces. Sound familiar?

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Wed May 23, 2007 2:59 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:
enfieldwhite wrote:I will support ANY British team in Europe.

The better English teams do in the Champions League, the more European places there are for little old us.
I think that notion is a bit outdated. With G14 around there is no way that the Champions League places will be reduced to three from England. The only possible way European places will be reduced is if the format of the UEFA cup is changed.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 23, 2007 3:07 pm

An English team winning will at least save us a little face from our national disaster antics surely? I know Scousers aren't really English but New Brighton is nearer than Capri.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Wed May 23, 2007 3:11 pm

I'd support any English team in Europe - if they're called Sunderland AFC.

Ha'way Milan.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Wed May 23, 2007 4:54 pm

Nozza wrote:I'd support any English team in Europe - if they're called Sunderland AFC.

Ha'way Milan.
Shame it won't happen then ey?

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed May 23, 2007 5:03 pm

I see TalkSport's top football pundit is predicting that Liverpool will shade a three goal thriller.

Henrik's fan club
Henrik
Henrik

Post by Henrik's fan club » Wed May 23, 2007 5:04 pm

You can't want the bloody Italians to win! Scouse they may be, but it's a matter of national pride (i.e. getting one over on Johnny Foreigner)
Who needs Henry when we've got Henrik?

Free the T-W two!